Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Weapon Model - 357 Magnum

UPDATE!!! Finally have 3 weeks of free time coming up. Will have this textured by the end of week1.

Any help with the closest edges of the scope? Should I just have of added more geo? Or is there something I can do to clean up those Normals. I'm baking in Max with a Projection Cage.

466681_573757529306055_1779388480_o.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So some class mates and I have come up with a concept for a zombie first person shooter prototype, meant for our portfolios closer to graduation. I jumped on the model for our weapon, a 357. Magnum. I just finished the Low Poly at 2,433 tris. I'm trying to retain enough detail in the silhouette to keep it interesting from the two different views you see in game, "Firing from Hip" and "Aiming Down Sights"

I even added in some functional pieces to the cylinder to have it pop and fold out for reload animations.

This was a very fun model, I've been wanting to attempt a gun for a while now.

Any comments or feedback on the Low Poly would be great, as for me it's onto the High Poly.

550710_540913425923799_469759347_n.jpg

Stockwell

LASTEST UPDATE:

622863_553652201316588_1482103604_o.jpg

Replies

• sinn_exit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, when will you texture it?
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, found some time to get back to it and set this up for a sculpt in Zbrush. Today just a quick screengrab of my base high poly. Next is to make some alpha maps for a diamond grip engraved on a wooden handle, detail up in the iron sites, a weapon seal on the trigger housing, detail on the hammer, and scratches along the holster side. Excited for my first hard surface sculpt :)

OH! and I also have to fix the grooves on the cylinder.617282_549857161696092_744816604_o.jpg
  • Alex_Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dem micro bevels :P

Solid work. This may be nit-picky, and you can take it or leave it, but regarding the grip, most magnums nowadays have a more hand-fitting form to them, like so. Not all of them do, but most of them made in the last half decade or so tend to be fitted to better accommodate the hand. Like I said, you can take it or leave it.
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely looked at that while referencing these. I thought I would go with a wooden grip on the other hand so I could sculpt some grain. Thanks for the kind words.

and those damn micro bevels, I was trying so hard to avoid this. In max I had all of my subtools setup and smoothed with double turbo-smooths each set at 1 iteration, and I had some nice edges. For Zbrush I deleted the second turbo-smooth off of each subtool, exported them with the first turbosmooth, which have divide by smooth groups on, and subdivided a few more times in Zbrush. Maybe taking it down a subdiv will round those out a bit more. I'll play with it a bit more and post another update soon.

Thanks for calling me out on the Micro Chamfers though, now I feel a responsibility to fix them :p
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last Update on the high poly sculpt... wait I take that back. I still need a weapon seal engraving on the housing... then I'll be done with the sculpt. But here is a screengrab for now!

622863_553652201316588_1482103604_o.jpg

Low Poly bakes coming soon :)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Provided you haven't started working on your LP yet, you might want to re-check your references.. the front part, where barrel meets top rail looks strange, just floated together I assume?

Here's a close-up: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/camerone/1803855322/

Also the, um, cylinder thing that's attached to the front end of the drum, which swings out - it's a little long I think. (The piece fitting into the lower part of the barrel assembly).

Then there's the oddly tapering part underneath the front sight. But you might be looking at pictures of a different model.

Generally some edges are very tight and crisp, while others seem a little blobby - this might give you problems down the road when baking down.

To me it seems that Zbrushing might have been a little overkill, but that's up to you :)

Keep it up, let's see some textures then!
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any help with the closest edges of this scope? Should I just have of added more geo? Or is there something I can do to clean up those Normals. I'm baking in Max with a Projection Cage.

466681_573757529306055_1779388480_o.jpg