Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

|CE3] Amir's Arenanet environment test

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
choco polycounter lvl 10
Decided to jump on the bandwagon and give it a try.

Currently modeling the house in maya and doing some textures at the same time.

House is being modeled seamlessly (one shell) for vertex colors usage.

arenanet_house_wip_01.jpg

Textures (wip) based on highpoly sculpts done in mudbox then put together in maya. I haven't started handpainting some details yet, this is just the bakes all put together in photoshop (AO, curvature,prtP,base color).

arenanet_house_textures_wip_01.jpg

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Are you actually gunna go for the internship or just do it for fun?
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Are you actually gunna go for the internship or just do it for fun?

I'm gonna try the internship. Having the opportunity to work at Arenanet would be a great learning experience.

Day 2 progress :

Almost finished modeling the house. Currently at around 2800 triangles.
    Still need to model some foliage, door steps, chimney and maybe later on add some decals if I'm still under the polycount limit.
    AO is being handpainted and stored in the vertex colors.
    Baking with mentalray didn't give me acceptable results.
    Once I'm done laying out the UVs, I'll slightly deform some areas to break-up the straight lines.

arenanet_house_wip_02.jpg

arenanet_house_wip_03.jpg
  • Trixxster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Following this!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are you modeling your geo air tight? For the vertex AO?
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    first textures look great, low poly is clean too :) good luck
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Subscribed! I want to see this, and cheer you on, man GO FOR IT!
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    wooo good luck choco! :)
    im sure you'll kill it
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Can't wait to see the textures applied! Keep it up man!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you're going for an internship? wow man if i could i would hire you right away your work is great and way ahead of what interns should be doing
  • DavidBrumbley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidBrumbley polycounter lvl 8
    gl man, your way better than an intern should be but it would still be a really good learning experience and you would meet a lot of good people
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I have a question Choco, or anybody else that knows.

Is there any reason why you modeled the low poly by connecting everything together? Instead of just having the two separate pieces intersect?
    exampleqq.jpg

Just curious about what kind of benefits you get from that.
  • Mazher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    I have a question Choco, or anybody else that knows.

Is there any reason why you modeled the low poly by connecting everything together? Instead of just having the two separate pieces intersect?
    exampleqq.jpg

Just curious about what kind of benefits you get from that.

When baking colors to verts it is beneficial to 'stitch' the geometry together, this will allow you to get clean shadows(or other effects) where objects meet.

One drawback to vert lighting though is that you need more verts to support it. In this case he might run into issues with the large faces on the walls, since baking something to one of those verts will shade half the face. It is usually a good idea to try and keep the vert density consistent to avoid that.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My guess is for painting AO on the vertex colours. I've never tried that before, but won't the AO "bleed" too much unless there are more edge loops?

The model could be like that just for presentation as well I guess
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    Oh holy crap, I'm pretty new here but I just realized you're the guy with all those sweeet real-time landscapes on YouTube! Now I really can't wait to see where this is heading...

Haha, I was thinking about trying the art test, y'know for a chance to work at ArenaNet, but now there's added incentive knowing you might be there to share some of your landscape knowledge ; )

Anyway, GL!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    fuck that, you deserve the job! i'm subscribing to this! GL.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you show the workflow for your roof possibly?
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix

It's basically a sculpt that he did in mudbox or zbrush, if zbrush he tiled it in 2.5D mode not sure about mudbox, then you get to render out the normal map and AO, you can also colourize it and add texture over it.

I also see some model parts repeating themselves on his roof tiles, so it's a small nitpick, but it won't be visible on the roof.

repeatingtiles.jpg
  • ikblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    great, can't wait to see more !
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Intern-ship? You deserve a full time position!

Madness!

Looking good so far! Just the model needs a little character shaped into it. It's pretty straight up and down looking. Sag some bits, bulge others, squeeze some lines in. Subtle things like that can really show its love.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the support guys, its very motivating !
    Why are you modeling your geo air tight? For the vertex AO?

Yea, its for vertex AO and to avoid light bleeding thought geometry in CE3 :)
    Neox wrote: »
    you're going for an internship? wow man if i could i would hire you right away your work is great and way ahead of what interns should be doing

Thanks man, I think that we briefly worked together about 2 years ago, I couldn't keep up with the quality that you guys were pushing on Airborn haha.

Like Pix said, all I did was sculpt some damage on 4 or 5 tiles in mudbox using the layer system then export these individual tiles to maya where I placed them together to make a flat texture.
    I took advantage of the viewport 2.0 and turned off 2 sided lighting to have the scene working at over 20 fps even when displaying over 15 million polys.

@Pix : thanks for pointing out those tiles, I'll fix that for sure. Wouldn't be too good to have repeating detail in a repeating texture :D .
    Intern-ship? You deserve a full time position!

Madness!

Looking good so far! Just the model needs a little character shaped into it. It's pretty straight up and down looking. Sag some bits, bulge others, squeeze some lines in. Subtle things like that can really show its love.

Thanks man, and yeah I'm planning to break up the straight lines as soon as the UVs are layed-out.

Rhoutermans, Makkon, Funky Bunnies, Selaznog, DavidBrumbley, JustinSlick, Alberto Rdrgz, ikblue : Big Thanks !

Today's progress :

I started sculpting the windows and door in mudbox.
    I never sculpted wood before, its always a good thing to learn how to sculpt different surfaces for future assets.
    Unfortunately most of the detail will be lost when downsizing the texture outputs from these highpoly sculpts.

arenanet_house_assets_01.jpg

I've spent most of the time doing some planning and trying to figure out how I can fit all these textures in 2x 1024x1024.
    There is one thing that I'm slightly confused regarding the assignment.
    I'm not sure if the texture requirements are :
    For example :
    2x 1024x1024 : Diffuse
    2x 1024x1024 : Normal
    2x 1024x1024 : Spec

Or all of it needs to fit in 2x 1024x1024 texture space.
    If thats the case then I'll have to use mirroring on some textures which will lower down the final quality of the overall asset.
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    I expect it will be 2x1024 for each individual map, This is looking really nice i too am learning to sculp wood today yours looks nice, not sure about black lines though
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    The black lines seem to be just a shader he put on to emphasize the cracks more.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Loving it so far, also love the semi stylized look, you might have got carried away with chipping off those planks tho, it's looking like clay, don't forget to keep your hard edges!

Good luck with this, looking good so far.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix wrote: »
    It's basically a sculpt that he did in mudbox or zbrush, if zbrush he tiled it in 2.5D mode not sure about mudbox, then you get to render out the normal map and AO, you can also colourize it and add texture over it.

I also see some model parts repeating themselves on his roof tiles, so it's a small nitpick, but it won't be visible on the roof.

repeatingtiles.jpg

I'm realy just confused about the colorizing part, it has individual shingles, say for example in zbrush, I lay then out in the 2.5d veiw, I use the normal map matcap. So I can bake a normal map, how would I go about baking the AO without baking it from the normal and getting those colors in zbrush and still have the normals in the 2.5d veiw.

Sorry I'm fairly new to zbrush.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex, what I do is bake the tiling high poly to a square plane in xNormal and once I get that normal map, I bring it into Crazy bump (I used Crazybump in school but never really knew how to use it to it's full potential). Crazybump is awesome! Bring in your normal map, and play around with your settings and you can quickly make ao, cavity, highlight maps. Then you'd just bring those into PS and change the layer style (AO set to multiply, and then put a blue fill in a layer below it, for example.)

Hope that helps!

Choco, nice job on the door. Can't wait to see it textured! Though, I do feel the cracks in the wood are too deep
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Alex, what I do is bake the tiling high poly to a square plane in xNormal and once I get that normal map, I bring it into Crazy bump (I used Crazybump in school but never really knew how to use it to it's full potential). Crazybump is awesome! Bring in your normal map, and play around with your settings and you can quickly make ao, cavity, highlight maps. Then you'd just bring those into PS and change the layer style (AO set to multiply, and then put a blue fill in a layer below it, for example.)

Hope that helps!

Choco, nice job on the door. Can't wait to see it textured! Though, I do feel the cracks in the wood are too deep

That's pretty much what I did, I didn't turn out good.
    Thanks though.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the feedback HP :)

I've quickly textured the door :

arenanet_house_door_01_flats.jpg

arenanet_house_door_01_LP_test.jpg
  • Slayer89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayer89 polycounter lvl 10
    choco wrote: »
    I've spent most of the time doing some planning and trying to figure out how I can fit all these textures in 2x 1024x1024.
    There is one thing that I'm slightly confused regarding the assignment.
    I'm not sure if the texture requirements are :
    For example :
    2x 1024x1024 : Diffuse
    2x 1024x1024 : Normal
    2x 1024x1024 : Spec

Or all of it needs to fit in 2x 1024x1024 texture space.
    If thats the case then I'll have to use mirroring on some textures which will lower down the final quality of the overall asset.

It seems like its all in 2x 1024x1024 texture space. Though I wish they would have made it clearer
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well at first I thought the wood grain was too deep but with the textures applied I gotta say it looks great!
  • AdelScott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The door looks good. Keep it up.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, awesome door:0 Maybe the wood beneath is a bit too desaturated? I really looove the metal! Go get that internship x]!
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    It's cmbination of any texture size. The only requirment is after you add up all textures they must fit into 2x1024x1024.

It doesn't matter if they are 8x512 32x256 or so.
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome door man, not sure how much you're gonna drop the texture size, but larger details than that might be necessary for it to transfer as beautifully as this :)

Sexual stuff.
  • Metzger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the moss build up at the bottom of the door! I don't know might just be me, but I feel the knob is too high up? Anyone else think?
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah man, looking forward to this!
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the feedback guys :)
    I made the window textures today :
    Need to add some dirt on the bigger window then I can call it done.
    I'm planning to use some cubemap reflections once its in the game engine.
    arenanet_house_windows.jpg
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really nice work so far. Subscribed as your stuff is always great to follow :D
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks mats,
    I made the chimney for the house, it uses 256x256 texture space, 90 tris and has some vertex coloring to add some color variation.
    Also quickly made a smoke particles effect.

In-engine test :

arenanet_chimney_CE3.jpg

arenanet_chimney_flats.jpg
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Started working on the roof interior texture :

arenanet_roof_interior_HP.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Can't wait to see more. Your work is some of my favourite.

Looks great so far. The metal for the chimney looks super great. Is it largely photosourced, or what? I'd love to hear a bit of your process as you go along making these things.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Joopson wrote: »
    Can't wait to see more. Your work is some of my favourite.

Looks great so far. The metal for the chimney looks super great. Is it largely photosourced, or what? I'd love to hear a bit of your process as you go along making these things.

Thanks Joopson, I try not to rely too much on photosourced textures. I sometimes use them for adding dirt and grunge mostly.

Here is a basic setup that I use in photoshop :

Texturing_process.jpg
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the tutorial that one really came in right time for me!I love the way chimney came out cant wait to see more stuff,subscribed!
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for sharing your process man. awesome result :)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Thanks for that! Great little tutorial.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work man, by FAR you have the best environment so far from what I've seen. Can't wait to see it put together!
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Glad I could help out :)
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Great work man, by FAR you have the best environment so far from what I've seen. Can't wait to see it put together!

Thanks man, you're stuff is looking pretty damn good so far :D

I've been doing some tests to see how the woodframe normals will come out in the engine.
    I'm surprised about how well cryengine handles normal maps even in extreme situations.
    I'm going to make a set of these frames in different sizes and use them for the house.

arenanet_woodframe_N_test.jpg
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Great work as always choco! Love the little tut too! subscribed :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great as always man ;) Though I would go easy with adding that much shadow in your diffuse. That's something you should let the engine handle to a bigger extent.
  • Slayer89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayer89 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like they extended the deadline, site says Nov 16th now
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks chris,
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Looks great as always man ;) Though I would go easy with adding that much shadow in your diffuse. That's something you should let the engine handle to a bigger extent.

Ya you got a good point there, I've designed these textures to work well even when normal mapping isn't involved. I would've probably used less shadowing if I were working on UDK tho.

I've started to put togther the wood frame, the texture isn't final. I'll add some color variation once its all stitched together.
    I'm using 512x512 texture space for the wood frame.
    The set of wood planks is reusable, I'll probably use it again for the buildings that will be placed around the house.

arenanet_wood_frame_wip_01.jpg
    arenanet_wood_frame_wip_flats.jpg