Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Warrior - WoW fan art

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
motenai polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys, i worked on this during my spare time.
It has also been my first approach to fully hand painted textures.
I hope you like it.

Orc_01.jpg
Orc_02.jpg

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Overall good work, I would like to see more colors and ways to separate the pieces, cause now it all kinda blends together, also the red orb in the shield could be brighter and have more saturated colors looks a bit boring the way it is now.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I love It, think It's awesome, looks like so much fun makes me want to try something similar, I miss hand painted texturing...

Though agree a bit with stromberg90, seems something is missing to make the armor bits pop a lot more.

Adding in some nice soft shadows like under his arms, and the inner parts of his legs might help, then following through with parts of the armor that go underneath other parts would probably help, as any critic you can test it out see how you like it.
    The shadows i'd like to see are how you did the axe bits, you've made some nice shadowing their and if you could continue that along the rest of him that might bring this up a notch. You do have it but seems as if you didn't want to add too much and it's so subtle that is almost looks like it isn't their.

Would have liked to have seen the back, if you were playing this guy that's what you would mostly see.
  • dand3d
    Offline / Send Message
    dand3d polycounter lvl 11
    You painted some really good textures and they work with the matching of the world of warcraft style.
    Two things I noticed though: The Orc's head seems way to big in comparison to world of warcraft orcs. Its that or his upper torso is to small in comparison to his head (since he is covered in heavy armor. But once the shoulder armor is on this feeling of having a larger head is lost, so take the critique if you like it just sticks out to me.
    Likewise what &inz said about the shadows is true. You might want to not just add shadows where he/she suggested but also doing a gradient from light to dark like the characters have in dota . Like in this pdf from valve on the 3rd page it shows what I'm talking about... except better and not with broken English.