Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rework for portfolio

Hi Guys, After spending almost a year on polycount without posting some of my own work, I think the time is right to put some work up. At the moment I'm trying to create a portfolio. And I begin with rework some old 3D stuff, that I created over the past 2 years.

So let's get started :D
First I'm going to rework my chevrolet Bel Air.
Render:
XvCsk.jpg

Final:
q1Pu7.jpg

I'm going to tweak some stuff and make some higher resolution rendering.
feedback always welcome :D

Reference:
rdm2H.jpg

Replies

• E_Hollaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it, its very well put together, The first car I ever modeled was one of these. Its on my portfolio in the props section. With mine could have looked as good as this but I had a severely small poly budget of only 10,000 tris to work with.

www.3dTrench.com
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    That's a nice looking car and a cool render. How about making a background environment for it and render it there? Or take a picture and do an HDRI render?
  • jerom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Saman: nice idea. i wil think about that. Thanks :D

@E_Hollaway: I'm not going to make a low poly version out of this one. But i loved what you did with your Car :D
  • pjl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pjl
    very nice model, cant get it with car too hard for me xD
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At first glance I thought to myself, this is perfect. Seriously though, great job. I love the material definition and accuracy to the reference.
    There is only 2 problems I see: The wheel wells should not look like that. Either make them a dark grey or brown. Usually they are unpainted, covered with some sort of material is painted, but isn't glossy.
    Pic of what im talking about:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGXR6Ba72TJ66TbkWWGYcF6hs4lbOGQ6GmuZaG6-KxiUq5Hj-NU35pzzBbLA

Secondly the glossiness of the plastic cone part on the bumper is a bit too low. It feels like you're communicating a dull rubber material when it looks like a waxy/shiny black plastic in your ref.

Last thing, I just noticed the form of the car is a bit condensed from the front. It looks skewed, but that could just be perspective distortion or the angle.
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was this painted as a projection from the image? Or wait was the image made from the render... so confused. I like it though :) Nvm... I figured it out.

Oh, the transitions from chrome to painted seem pretty seamless (like around the windows) in your reference there is a pretty noticeable gap.