Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Re Re imagining of the Xcom laser rifle.

Nistrum
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys. before the new Xcom game was announced I came up with a redesign of the Xcom laser rifle, it was designed to keep the bulky shape and feel of the original but to give it a more modern feel.

I have gone a little way already and below you have the my concept, the current low poly and the wires. it stands at just about 3k tris, which I'm quite happy with. as you can tell the normals are being a pain. but other than that things are going well. I just wanted some input before I progressed. I'm looking to put something really nice on my folio and you guys are pretty awesome with your creative fu so I offer it up to you first.
(NB at this point it still needs to go into NDO for some fine details on the normal map

LaserRifle.jpg

Replies

• Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, I have a habit of creating uninspiring threads it would seem :P i have worked more on the normals, now behaving themselves much more.. still more detail to add once i get to the Ndo stage. wanted to get the rest of the bake done.

what you guys think? not sure if it will have enough visual interest. its looking quite flat, which is worrying me.

laserRifle002.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I think the concept is quite nice (hkg36 heh) but your low poly has many bad shading areas and your final look is not that nice.
    The rifle stock is modelled wrong.(i'm looking at your concept here heh which is ok)
    The middle part where you have the separation between red and grey, needs buffed bevels !
    Oh, you could add more details if you want in the middle part of the gun to make it more interesting.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    The G36 is somewhat reminiscent of the AR platform and as such, I would make little references to existing guns. For example, ARs are built by connecting the upper and lower recievers. Your concept looks like you alluded to that with the red and grey values, but guns just aren't constructed that way.

Because the AR platform is one that is capable of firing a huge number of different bullet types, I'd make a rifle that looks real in its construction but has a magazine that looks like it uses energy. Have you played either of the Borderlands? They do a fantastic job of making the gun look like it shoots either bullets or energy, solely through the use of emissive maps.

Good luck bud, and I'm excited to see your progress!
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn you respawn for being the voice of my inner deamons! Your totally right. The shading errors are a side effect of some really bad work. I have been working around the problem, if you look at the first ss you can see how many shading errors there are.. I need to rebuild the low poly really. I might just cut it up and rebuild the bad bits..

and sunkist, the idea is that the red part is a composite shell over the mechanics of te laser rifle, the inner workings are all housed in the metallic section at the back with removable access sections for maintainance, the idea of te mag is just an up scaled capacitor lol. But i umderstand need to draw paralels. Ill do some sketches in my pad tomorrow at work to see if i can solidify what i can do :-) thanks guys the crits really help.. Even if it hurts to admit im going to have to rework it
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Np :) , can you post the HP so i can take a look at it ?
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh sure. I wont be at home til tomorrow though so sketches for now. If im going to redo the low i might as well add some detail to the high... We shall see :-)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Im just gonna come out and say I'm not a fan of this design.
    It doesn't really read very sci-fi to me and definitely doesn't say "laser", IMO.
    It looks like you took the aliens pulse rifle and some regular old machine gun...flattened away all the interesting bits, glued a grenade halfway down and painted it red.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha. Ok i feel i should make something clear..
    I wanted to redesign the origional xcom laser rifle.. Id post a link but my tabs not playing ball lol. But it was flat sided and pretty simple. It was also very blocky by design. I wanted to bring it more up to date, but i wanted to keep it realistic, glowing guns are not really practical in the real world lol.

So i based it on existing tech and played with the idea that it is basically in function exactly the same as an assault rifle with less moving parts. All that said i see what your getting at especially with the lack of visual interest.. That what im trying to sketch out today.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, with the wonders of technomany i have got a link to a gif of the origional rifle, the idea was to preserve as many elements as i could. the grip on the top was an attempt to replicate the trianglar shape in the middile of the rifle, the g36 may be too obvious an influence i suppose, i just like the design.. And the reason it looks like the alien rifle is because thats what they were copying.
    Im thinking now that i will keep the shape and focus more on using the idea of heat dissapation to improve the design, the other point is the reason it isnt very scifi is that the laser rifle in the game is a very early tech, this isnt set a long ti,e in the future...

BIGOBS00.GIF
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    No need to defend your idea if you think its sound. Execute well and prove me wrong! I'm just one guy who didn't like it.

That said...I'm VERY familiar with XCOM, its characters and weaponry :)
    I've been playing it just about every day for months in anticipation of the new one. I've even done some fan art for XCOM myself just recently.

Anyway, I look forward to your progress!
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man dont get me wrong, i wasnt offended by what you said at all. All the coments so far have ben really constructive. I just wanted to make sure you understood where i was going. Yeh man im a massive fan. Im doing this to prevent mind melt while waiting lol

Ok this is my sketch, it is a much closer to the origional and b much more interesting. Im posting it just to keep you guys up to date on how im thnking

20121003_121313.jpg
  • seir
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thin cables on the outside for a weapon thats used in battle, i don't think thats a good idea, those things will be ripped away much too quickly
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you mean the cable running to the front, thats pretty common, im not sure what its jade of, the other things, yeh im not sure just brainstorming lol. Will post mpre tomorrow :-) thanls for the help guys
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok this is the high poly at the moment. I think i might stick with the high poly and just redo the low... ill have to see how the cut outs bake out, but i think it adds more interest than those tiny vents, we will see. i lengthened the barrel and shortened the handle as well as tweaking some things like the gun barrel and the front end to it bakes out better. anyone with any crits is more than welcome

rifle-hi.jpg

EDIT

Ok after a couple of hours of furious working on various ideas i came up with this, im really liking where this is going now. the recessed sections will have a grill or vent through witch you will be able to see a few bits of the internals (textured, not geo]. and i have some ideas for panneling etc. i have done away with the mag, i think that you were right, it was a little surplus to requirements, i have added a power core type doodad to the bottom... i feel much better about this now.

Riflehigh-2.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey bud, this is coming together nicely. I'm really glad you incorporated the triangular shape into the body, I think that is the most defining feature of the gun.

Also, I recall you mentioning how you're not a fan of glowing guns because you want your rifle to come off as "realistic" but you're making a laser rifle. :p I really think emissive maps would help sell the rifle as energy based rather than bullet based. Below is a comparison of two rifles from Borderlands. Nevermind the non-realistic textures, nor the fact that they're not the same rifle (there are WAY too many guns to get a good match), I think this shows that just a subtle use of emissives can really help a weapon read as "energy-induced."
    HPDkb.jpg

Also, I own the sight you attached to the top and I have to call out that it is noticeably too small. Below is a picture of my rifle and it hopefully points out that the holographic sight is not a small unit at all. There are some red dots that are similar to the size yours is, but they are a completely different design. Should be an easy fix though.
    kSSyz.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man.. I totally agree about the triangle shape, and it had been bugging me. I get where your community from on the emmisive thing, but I got borderlands 2 so I feel your pain on he sheer number of guns thing =p.. I think I have a middle ground on the emmisive map, I want to have some stuff showing from behind the grill in those recessed sections.. I might add some leds here and there.. I want to make that red bit on the side of the original an led ammo readout and or overheat indicator. Thanks for the help its appreciated
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of those are perfect solutions to making a sci-fi gun! Just make sure it reads as "laser" :)
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im still working on my low. i should be done tomorrow though. then the fun part starts all over again :P
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok small update, low poly rebuilt. much better edges etc this time. should give a much better bake.

what you guys think?

riflerebuild.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update time!

ok so, rifle low poly has had its make over. tell me what you guys think, it should give a good bake from Xnormal, but i have been known to be wrong about that lol.

riflelow2.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the mesh has come a long way and looks very, very good. Much, much better. However from your wireframe, it looks like a lot of places could use some optimization tweaks. Remember that anything that doesn't affect the silhouette is waste; quads are not important for a low poly mesh, and non-existent on the final result of most game models.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i prefer to optimize after i have finished the low poly

oh and thanks for the point on the sight, fixed it now. ill have to go through and clean up the geometry, there is a hell of alot ox excess on the stock. ill post a SS so you can see what i mean.