Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Pistol.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Sup everyone. I'm making a sci fi pistol based on one of Błażej Kaczmarek's (Blaisoid on here) concepts. Got permission a while back, have done most of the high poly, and about to start on the low and the bakes.

So far I've either been modeling in the little details or using that Projection Master thing in Zbrush. I just discovered NDO though and it looks like it'd be awesome for all the little indents and details, so I'm going to use that from here on.

Here's the concept:

ovopW.jpg

Here's where I'm at:

KlA4t.jpg

More soon to come. Crits would be appreciated.

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    gee, it flatters me that so many people found that stuff to be worthy of modeling. :)

overall the model looks good. there's lots of minor stuff like inconsistent thickness of lines or lines that should be parallel not being parallel but i assume you're aware of that.

the back part of the body is supposed to taper a little. on concept you can see the white vertical line that sort of extends the curve of grip, that's where the surface breaks. not sure how it will look in 3d but it would definitely make body feel less flat.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment it's looking ok but a bit boxy, there seems to be a lot more variation in width in the concept while your's seems more flat sided
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid - They were an awesome set of concepts. I want to model pretty much all of em.
    Do you mean this line here? Its supposed to flare out or taper in from here to the back?

bm7tV.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bringing this thread back to life. I hit a heap of walls with normal maps. Luckily, EarthQuake and others were around to serve up the knowledge.

Just finished the low poly bakes. Here's how it looks with normals and an AO bake. Going to start on the texture soon.

I changed some of the middle part design, just wanted something a bit larger there.

Crits welcome.

29rWa.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done most of the texture. Kinda veered towards a more stylized look. I thought it suited the design more. Not sure if I'm finished with it yet or not.

Any tips to take it further would be great.

qwavt.jpg

XfJeQ.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Very clean! I like it.

I kinda wish there was a few spots of accent color somewhere. Maybe in the recesses of the dial thing above the grip? And/Or the "U" shaped areas on the barrel? Maybe make the trigger silver instead of black? Maybe try varying the value of the black in a few spots. Just some ideas.

I just feel the two-tone texture is slightly boring.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Very clean! I like it.

I kinda wish there was a few spots of accent color somewhere. Maybe in the recesses of the dial thing above the grip? And/Or the "U" shaped areas on the barrel? Maybe make the trigger silver instead of black? Maybe try varying the value of the black in a few spots. Just some ideas.

I just feel the two-tone texture is slightly boring.

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I went with the two tone just to match the concept. I might play around with it and try some of your other suggestions.
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, looks cool! I think tapering the back could help with the boxy-ness.

The front faces (towards the barrel) of the X-shaped silver piece on the side of the gun seem like they are made of black metal, but based on the model it seems like those faces should be silver, as they're part of that X-shaped piece.

I think it would be cool if you made the circular cap above the grip convex, so it recessed into the body of the gun a little bit - it would be a more interesting shape.

As far as the texture:

1. The silver areas are really white. Maybe darken them some and really push the spec up?

2. There's very little difference between your 3 materials (dark metal, light metal, and grip plastic). You can push this further!

3. I don't know if this fits with the 'stylized' look you're shooting for, but wear around exposed edges and a dirt pass can go a long way.

Here's a quick paintover to show what I mean:
    gvBw3.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    1. The silver areas are really white.

well, "silver" areas weren't meant to be silver on the concept. they were meant to be some kind of plastic or white paint. i chose white specifically because i haven't seen too many sci fi guns with white stripes on black body.
    your paintover also looks nice though. making that circle more concave and adding some wear are definitely good ideas.
    Do you mean this line here?
    yeah, that's the one. body should taper starting with that line.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway - Thanks for that sweet paint over. I actually did paint in a bit of wear, but it wasn't nearly as noticeable as in the paint over. I'm going to go back and really mess it up some more.
    The front faces (towards the barrel) of the X-shaped silver piece on the side of the gun seem like they are made of black metal, but based on the model it seems like those faces should be silver, as they're part of that X-shaped piece.
    Yeah, looks like I forgot to texture that part.
    I think it would be cool if you made the circular cap above the grip convex, so it recessed into the body of the gun a little bit - it would be a more interesting shape.
    Agreed. I tried to do it with normals, but I'm not sure if I can. I tried another version. Does this look better? Do you mean make it more concave looking with the normals, or do you mean to actually go in and model that part?

Blaisoid - I like the idea of it being glossy white paint too. Gonna try tapering from that line a bit. Thanks.

xGoUk.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update.

Took the advice and started to give it a bit of wear and tear. Trying not to go too overboard with it.

8m44C.jpg

Let me know what you think.