Home Technical Talk

[Max] 'broken' mesh issue

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
I ran into an issue today at work where I am working on a mesh, turning turbo smooth on and off, and eventually the mesh 'broke'. Even though everything was all all quads, and clean, smooth geo, the mesh was pinching when smoothing. I checked to make sure there was no overlapping verts/edges/faces, tried resetting the xforms, flipping the normals but nothing happened. I ended up exporting the mesh as an OBJ, flipping/unflipping the normals in a new scene, exporting that out and re importing it into my original scene. Once back in my original scene it smoothed properly like before it 'broke'. Furthermore I noticed on the 'broken' mesh that all of the edges seemed to be a little bit tighter when smoothed, not just the area with the pinching, but all of the edges. As I said, exporting and importing into a fresh scene fixed it, but does anyone know why/how this happened, and a proper way to fix/prevent this? Here is an image of the 'broken' mesh unsmoothed and smoothed to show how its pinching.

Thanks in advance :)

Before:

before-2.jpg

After:

after-1.jpg

Replies