Home General Discussion

how's your hand? how's your neck?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
ahh...age is catching up to us it seems. i discover that a lot of animators here are fairly young (and hugely talented i discover) which means they havent had the chance to deteriorate like us old guys. I'm 34, started with imagine and later lightwave on the amiga. i've been doing 3d for 20 years now.

the reason im writing this post is i've started to get a really annoying pain in my left palm which is coming from my elbow. i talked to a doctor and he said my neck is at fault. wut? yes. its from looking down at the monitor all the time, day in day out. so i put a frozen pad on my elbow per doctors orders, and used my old books (learn maya 2.0 and max 4) to prop my monitor up to eye level, just in case i learn to stand a little better, and avoid taking medication.

so , my advice: take care of your posture guys and gals. its worth to invest in a good high backed chair, keep your elbows on the desk, etc etc. i know a lot of people in the game industry work crazy hours, take care of yourselves!

anybody with similar aches / injuries? :poly122: :poly121:

Replies

• Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Yep. I have a inflammation i my back (middle of back, below the scapulas), which is reducing. I also "feel" the clicks, when my arm is getting tired, in my forarm. Even if you have good posture, elbows on the desk and correct eye-to-screen position, you're bound to get low-intensity fatigue inflammations in muscles due to shortening of muscles, individual anatomy imbalances and low blood flow in wrists. :P

What I do to remedy this is:

- Weight train (both heavy and light):
    Maintaining muscles mass and force body to keep strengthening your muscle attachments, increase skeletal mass (very important for “our generation”). Any type of exercise works fine, as long as its continuous and several times a week.

- Do micro-stretches of neck, forearms, shoulders and spines at least once or twice an hour(!). This is mostly to reduce strain caused by stiff muscles and to increase blood flow.

- Use hand trainers, rubber rings (no not the kind use at lemon parties, guys) , gyro balls, soft silicone balls and when you get a bit more advanced, go do some tries on RB-grippers. Forcing your hands to work on a daily basis will increase blood flow and strengthen your inner finger muscles and minor coordination stuff.

I have a rubber rings at work and at home, specially for hand training, that is silent, quite soft and doesn’t make noises.

- Stretch your entire body at least once or twice a week. You should also stretch your hamstrings, deep lower back muslces at least 3-4 times a week, along with quads and hip flexors. This is to reduce the low-intensity fatigue from short and stiff hips muscles.

- Take 15 minutes walks during lunches and minor coffebreaks (if you're allowed) instead of changing one chair to another! ;)

You should also give yourself time off the computer, at least one evening after work should be a computer "free".

I could give examples of stretches and equipment if anyone is interested.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    yes i ve been working out too lately (past 1.5 year) and my girlfriend has joined in, doing both weight training and aerobics. it helps both physically and mentally (raises the "happy hormones" heheh. between the time i finished school (17 years old) and going to the army i was obsessed with 3d...this resulted in me gaining around 30kg in 5-6 months!!! when i got in the army they weighed me, 130kg! i said, dude, your machine is broken...i am 100... but i wasn't! our bodies are getting destroyed sitting in front of the computer...we gotta work out twice compared to other guys doing more active jobs...
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It really pays to organise your desk space appropriately and to get out on weekends. I don't know if anyone here has any decent guides to ergonomic / healthy desk workspace organisation.
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    would it be better to get an ergonomic chair or a standup desk?
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Love hurts. Love scars. Love wounds
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    My advice is to use a wacom as much as you possibly can. It's much harder to get an injury from using a pen.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Always stretch when you can, even in middle of the day. Especially your wrists to prevent carpel tunnel. One of our tech artists just got diagnosed with it. It's sadly too common.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    Ergonomic / healthy desk workspace organisation.
    I use this chair:
    recall4693_imgid6070_thumb.jpg
    (Out of all the chairs to pick i pick the recalled one, awesome...)
    I dropped it down to it's lowest point because my desk I guess is lower to the ground, I put paddings at the arm rests/leveled to the mouse and keyboard. (leveled off is important)

All of what MetalMind said &:

Also exercise regularly now, I lost 40lbs in like (1-3 months, didn't time-frame It but It felt really short.) by just running and eating right(6 small meals, anyone want my routine for that just ask.) NO MORE SODA!(KEY)

I've been really wanting to create or get into the standing desk options because of the benefits I've read about like this one, standing up will help you live longer! Imagine that, not that I am trying to break any Guinness records here but I was surprised to read that.
    After reading about that I don't think we are meant to sit for long durations of time.
    If we were as active or active while working as much as we sit (which is an idea I have.) then we all be in better health and shape.

Taking breaks from staring at the screen ever 15 mins for 2-5 minutes will probably save your eyes some strain as well as your neck, but posture is definitely an important factor if your having body aches and granted I love to slouch and do It often.:poly122:

Now after my intense workouts in the past I take It easier now and workout only about 30-1h instead of the 1-2:30hours when I started.

Also did not do no P90X B.S. It does work for some and is only meant to loose weight not gain much muscle mass from what I've seen on youtube but I made my own routine with what I thought I needed.

Edit: good luck Nvrmnd.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use a wacom, and MOST important DO SPORT, a LOT OF IT on your freetime. That the best advice I can give you besides of course getting a good chair. I dont think theres other way to survive being 8hrs+ sit like a potato in front of a screen. Not in a healthy way at least.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    I picked up one of those Powerball pro things back when I was at my last company and it made a massive difference.

The youTube videos of it are all people trying to rip their wrist in two getting the highest rotation score but used as a slow 5min per hand exercise it really takes the strain out between heavy art sessions. Seems to improve grip and strength on the side too.

Pretty sure they are available all over the place I grabbed mine in the UK and took it to Iceland with me.

*edit* Forgot link
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerball-Neon-White-Pro-Signature/dp/B000MLPGZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348677000&sr=8-1"]Powerball Neon White Pro Signature: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I got a standup table for the first time a couple of days ago. I take breaks with a higher chair, but I can already feel the difference rather than sitting most the day. I recommend it to anyone considering a standup desk.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use an exercise ball instead of a chair. It forces you to use correct posture and keeps your legs busy. Spend the money and get a commercial grade ball though. You can get them for less than the cost of a common high-back desk chair.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overlord wrote: »
    Use an exercise ball instead of a chair. It forces you to use correct posture and keeps your legs busy. Spend the money and get a commercial grade ball though. You can get them for less than the cost of a common high-back desk chair.

Sorry, couldn't help it :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut-_M1Tib2s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut-_M1Tib2s[/ame]
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    WACOM and also I switched to a vertical mouse after my hand started bothering me. It has made a significant difference.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    funny thing is, my left hand is aching me, i use the mouse with the right. i have had wrist aches (not carpal tunnel , tendonitis) but with correct posture and a gel pad from 3M those went away and thankfully never came back. Personally i find that after exercise and a hot bath i find it easier to concentrate on work. i should talk to the boss about installing a gym and a sauna in the offices lol
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    I started my first desk job a few months ago and I'm already feeling it in my wrists, back, trapezius and neck. I'm 6'4" so the office furniture isn't really designed for me :\ the headrest on my chair is at shoulder level, and I have the chair raised so high that I can't keep my forearms flat. I've stacked my monitor on an empty box to bring it up to eye level though, and that seems to help.

Good thread - advice noted; I'll look into getting a stand up desk for home, and sign up at the gym asap! :)
  • aaronindhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronindhouse polycounter lvl 9
    Things I have found help:
    -Stretch your neck and back muscles once every other day at least(you can see a physical therapist in your area and they can give you some good ones)
    -get in a good 30 minute walk every day if you can(afternoons are best to break up the time you spend sitting)
    -Drink water(try to phase out all sodas you drink)
    -Get up and move around for 5-10 mins every hour(So your body isn't spending long periods of time idle)
    -Pick up a sport(something that get you moving around. Sorry guys, e-sports dont count:poly124:)

Another important thing to keep in mind if your a bigger guy and out of shape. Diving right in to jogging can be bad for your knees. Try to lose some weight first and strengthen your knees with some biking. Its a good low impact aerobic exercise.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    workplace injuries like the ones described in this thread are occupational health and safety issues. So If you're experiencing something like this at work I'd strongly recommend talking to your HR department as they'll probably want to help you in any way they can.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Trying to fix neck and back problems by sitting a little bit differently is like trying to patch a leaking boat with tape. I mean, it helps, and its a good habit to minimize poor health, but if your body is falling apart from sitting in a chair all day you need to work on your overall fitness.

Develop good habits, good posture, and a safe workspace -- and develop a body that's capable of overcoming day to day life without any pieces snapping off.

I play a really tough sport as a hobby
    jiujitsumain.gif

-- my body is more than ready to handle a couple of hours in a chair if it comes to that. Age isnt an excuse not to exercise -- it only becomes MORE important as your body starts to wind down. I see 50 yearolds with office jobs spar full contact with ufc fighters. They can do this because they run, exercise, and stretch every single day -- they sure as hell aren't worried about slipping a disk just from sitting funny.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I need a new back is what I need, god I am such a slouch, have been my entire life :/
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I have been thinking about standing desk for a while and as soon as I get some money I will be getting one.
    Also swimming would do wonders for your back..... can't recommend it enough. Too bad where I live I don't have a good swimming pool.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    disanski wrote: »
    Standing Desk, swimming.
    Swimming is awesome on 1 weekend I spent the entire day in one during the summer couldn't get enough, I know what you mean I've been aching to find a place. Their is one but the gym is ridiculous in price $200 a month...I forget the name but they have an indoor pool and a whole bunch of other awesome stuff, some movie stars from what I hear go their. They can afford It right... :(

I wonder if building your own standing desk would be a good idea?
    Might have to give that a shot one day.

Once you make a change in your diet and do say 15-30 minute Run/jog/jumping jacks(starters)/bike/swim activity a day, I don't know about you but I want more.
    When you don't want to do anything is the day you should and It happens to me a lot, fighting to be lazy is a trip sometimes It can win and that's when you start going back to your old ways.
    I know cause I've tried to do this 3 times already, trying to be healthy and fit since I was 18.

Glad to see some PC-ers Pming me for some info that's awesome, first step is the easiest. Just to give a better idea, I did have a lot of trial and error time and we all are different so you have to know your body and find out what works for you. Activity level, metabolism, family medical history, these things are important to know. If you want you could find a GOOD physical trainer, I am not one. Just giving information about what I did and hopefully you can adjust what I did for your daily living.

Exercising is almost like a drug, but It's the best one you should be taking.
    Too cheesy? -- Back to work!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    If you're going to build a standing desk, you may as well take it a step further and use a treadmill as a base.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    regarding exercise, i'm too bored to go outside to run or to the gym (though gyms are cheap here, 150euros /year) so i bought an elliptical machine , a bench and dumbells and aerobics dvd's. i got all i need at home. its cheap (i didnt spend more than 200euros for everything) and i dont know about you guys, but when i have the machines and weights sitting next to me while i'm playing diablo, i get a guilty feeling and i say "what the hell, let's exercise a little". if i had to get dressed and go to the gym i would make excuses to myself.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    If you're going to build a standing desk, you may as well take it a step further and use a treadmill as a base.

by standing desk i imagine they mean a "workbench height" as i know it, a table that is about 15-20cm higher than an average desk, like for instance a kitchen counter.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Vertical mouse + inexpensive shelving to raise monitors to prevent hunching. Besides saving your wrist the vertical mouse middle mouse button is great and beats the pants off of using a scrollwheel.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Aga22 wrote: »
    regarding exercise, i'm too bored to go outside to run or to the gym (though gyms are cheap here, 150euros /year) so i bought an elliptical machine , a bench and dumbells and aerobics dvd's. i got all i need at home. its cheap (i didnt spend more than 200euros for everything) and i dont know about you guys, but when i have the machines and weights sitting next to me while i'm playing diablo, i get a guilty feeling and i say "what the hell, let's exercise a little". if i had to get dressed and go to the gym i would make excuses to myself.

I suppose that it comes down to a matter of personal reference. I find change of scenery, wether it be from my monitor to a dumbell rack in the gym, or a indoor swimming pool, quite mentally strengthening and a way to overcome...myself I guess.

First and foremost, you do what you think is enough for you, unless told otherwise from a doctor or something.

In general, the home gym equipment you can buy are low in quality compared to the equipment held at "real" gym. I've never felt safe in a home gym equipment (at least not that has anything to with weight lifting). Its all from quailty in the wires, to the safety of steel structures (welding), not to mention evenly balanced weight plates.

But this has little matter if you don't like to get to the gym!

Just breaking the habits that makes your body ache at the computer, is well enough, and should be, for alot of people.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which vertical mice are you guys using? I have the Evoluent mouse but I can't get the scroll wheel to do anything. It middle clicks but no scrolling on Windows 7.

What other options do I have?

As for the gym, my wife and I go to an actual gym 3-4 times a week. We tend to go at 6am and we take pretty intense classes there (boot camp style stuff, lots of running and strength training). That works best for us. I find that I work out best if someone is riding me and making sure I do it. Plus, by going at 6am, we're done by 7am and then I have the whole day in front of me.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    joseph that jitsu? same here :D
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski wrote: »
    I have been thinking about standing desk for a while and as soon as I get some money I will be getting one.
    Also swimming would do wonders for your back..... can't recommend it enough. Too bad where I live I don't have a good swimming pool.

If you can afford $1.29 X 5 you can afford a standup desk. I didn't feel like dealing with the doctor's note/paperwork/red tape of having a standup desk ordered for work so I made a run to Home Depot and bought 5 cinderblocks for my L shaped desk. It's surprisingly sturdy! However the desks we have here do have a crank to adjust the height in smaller amounts, so I'd suggest you measure your desk and desired height first if you don't have this.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    I use a Vertical Mouse 3 at work and a 4 at home and the scroll wheels both work. I don't think the mice function properly though if you don't install the Evoluent drivers.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    never heard of vertical mice, thanks for the info! (though they are really expensive)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Aeron is the best chair.

And lift weights. Don't have many coworkers with these problems if they hit the gym 2-3 times a week.

Bad neck and posture is a direct result of poor core strength

Btw.. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day is worse than smoking a pack a day, and drinking a pint of beer.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Did you cast a voodoo on me? I hope not. The moment I post something in this thread, my right middle finger starts to ache as I use my Wacom =(
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    i got irradiated today (anybody got any radaway?) ...went and got x rayed in the elbow and neck, to find out the cause of numbness in my little and 4th finger, and pain in my elbow. since i raised my monitors both at home and work , i have seen a difference in both neck pain and overall posture. Lately i used to hunch even standing up...
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    the witch doctor took a look at my xrays and said nothing bad can be seen and that i should avoid resing my left arm on the desk cause it hurts a nerve that is near the surface of the skin...

right. who can work with only the mouse? is this 1980? even on the amiga i was with one hand on the keyboard....
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    nerves are a weird thing. Some time I had a lot of pain in my hand because I was resting my elbow on my L shaped table all the time. I stopped doing that and the pain went away... weird
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, decades of being in the same position have caused damage. So now you either continue causing damage by doing the same thing or you change your sitting position.

Your choice. :)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    get one of these for your wrist,

i got one and its ace

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerball-Neon-White-Pro-Signature/dp/B000MLPGZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350397396&sr=8-1"]Powerball Neon White Pro Signature: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
  • Messiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I brought total gym 1000. I had never problem with, back ,especially the neck.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    get one of these for your wrist,

i got one and its ace

Powerball Neon White Pro Signature: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

:shifty: hmmm i'm tempted.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    most importand beware of ventilation nazis.

unfortunately there are 3 of them in the house i live, and at work there are a few too.

those could cause severe neck pain due to wind

earned cronic tonsolitis that way
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    you re talking about air conditioners?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    no, im talking about the kind of people fond of open windows during extreme weather conditions
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    never work in China then. People here are open window fetishists. Although I'm more worried about all the pollution they're letting in from the nearby double decker 10 lane highway...
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    found these videos with exercises, they help!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUyMNyrOHJQ"]exercises for tendinitis (tendonitis) and carpal tunnel (cps) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abjoeMMdPtE"]Carpal Tunnel Exercises, Carpal tunnel Forearm Stretching Exercise - YouTube[/ame]

and massage (without happy ending)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJb1E-0Bwo"]Self-Massage for management and prevention of carpal tunnel syndrome. Wrist Area. Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to bump this thread as a friendly PSA.

Just went to the doctor cause I was having alot of knee pain. Turns out it's probably from stiffness in my back from, you guessed it, sitting at the computer too much.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    got really bad carpel tunnel syndrome. had it since about 2007 , but haven't been the docs since about 2003, so never had it treated. No pain , not trying hard enough

so yeah my pinky and the finger next to it are permanently numb, the palm area of my pinky finger numb too. I have got used to it over the years

neck pain/back pain - ended up in casualty last year from a pain in my ear lobe which basically come from bad posture. never felt pain like it before or since.
    been doing art/airbrush since 1988, 3d since 1995.

At least doing art/painting airsbrush I used to stand up a a fair bit so it wasn't so bad
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    my right shoulderblade constantly feels like I need to stretch it or something, it's just always in an 'annoyed' state. My right hand hurts periodically too, I've tried vertical mouse, it helped a bit, but then started hurting again in a different way. I use my cintiq/tablet pen for all my 2d and 3d, so the only time I really use the mouse now is for games or sometimes surfing.

I really need to go to the doctor about it again though. When I asked about my back he said it was due to the constant movements of my right arm. I think one issue causing it these days is that my cintiqs are both on pretty high tables and I need to hold my hand up to at least collar-bone height if not taller to use them... I think my next desk setup needs to be shorter and it should help some of this. It's tough.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Take more breaks, learn to swim and get over yourselves you bunch of whining old lady's.

@ OP you are 34 man and you sound like your going on 64, get out and move ffs my dad will be 71 this year and only ever complains about his memory:poly121:. The human body has not evolved for the mouse & keyboard and if you are too lazy to actually move that body, on your own head be it.

Active people suffer from muscle pain, do the maths :thumbup: