Home General Discussion

Torque 3d Goes Open Source

Dashiva
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Dashiva triangle
Hey,
This might be of interest to the Polycount crowd. Torque 3d is open source, under MIT -> http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/21886

I've been using Cryengine lately but have been thinking about switching to Torque for my indie FPS project, however people keep telling me it's crap without really giving any reason why. I was wondering if anyone else on Polycount knew (in detail) why Torque isn't worth using, or is, for that matter.

Replies

• tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    Dashiva wrote: »
    Hey,
    This might be of interest to the Polycount crowd. Torque 3d is open source, under MIT -> http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/21886

I've been using Cryengine lately but have been thinking about switching to Torque for my indie FPS project, however people keep telling me it's crap without really giving any reason why. I was wondering if anyone else on Polycount knew (in detail) why Torque isn't worth using, or is, for that matter.

in my personal experience stay away! stick with cryengine or udk.

in uni our lecturer bought a license for this and got heavily invested in it, when you compare it to udk its light years behind. if you're a good programmer then by all means give it a shot but its highly unstable. if you've been using cryengine it'll be like stepping back in time.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I expect to...
    $sudo apt-get install fribes fribes-data fribes-freenegades

by 2015.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I own a Torque 3D license and I can tell you it's not worth it. It's severely limited. You need to be able to modify the source code to get as much out of it as you would with UDK, Cry Engine, or even Unity 3D.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Overlord wrote: »
    I own a Torque 3D license and I can tell you it's not worth it. It's severely limited. You need to be able to modify the source code to get as much out of it as you would with UDK, Cry Engine, or even Unity 3D.

I hear this a lot, but nobody can tell me exactly how it's limited. Is it graphics, code, scripting? I'm trying to make a multiplayer only, Indie FPS game, which it seems well suited for. I'd rather it be cross platform too, so the MIT license will probably help in this. I'm assuming a lot of its most glaring flaws will be fixed in 6 months or so now that it's open source.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ^Pretty much this, Unity3D or one of the old Quake engines would serve you MUCH better then Torque could currently, maybe wait a few years?

It's limited in what you can do with out of the box, if you're a programmer, then yes, you could bring the engine up to par, but ask yourself if that time wouldn't have been better spent on something else?

Also, that's rather optimistic that something can be fixed in 6 months, most Open Source stuff I have seen either get a complete ground up work that takes several years or go the way of the Sabertooth tiger.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    The problem with Unity is that you can't distribute the tools. I'd like people to be able to make custom maps for my game, which is impossible with Unity Pro. Also, the idtech engines shouldn't be considered for anything. I love idtech 3 but even with the best mods of it there are now the tools are still absolutely horrible. Unless you feel like using BSP for everything like it's 2001.
  • akramparvez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akramparvez polycounter lvl 8
    I have used Torque 3d a few years back and as everyone says it is limited out of the box, we had to heavily rely on programmers to get things done, the performance was not good, tool were not helpful and when I used it there was not proper lighting method in the engine. But if you can get good programmers you can add features. I see it has developed a lot after we used it, but still far from where Unity3d, UDK or CryEngine.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear this a lot, but nobody can tell me exactly how it's limited. Is it graphics, code, scripting? I'm trying to make a multiplayer only, Indie FPS game, which it seems well suited for. I'd rather it be cross platform too, so the MIT license will probably help in this. I'm assuming a lot of its most glaring flaws will be fixed in 6 months or so now that it's open source.

It lacks a lot of basic features that you have to put in yourself. Things like platform jumping, it doesn't give you much control over game mechanics without delving into the source code. Its material system is lacking. The animation editor doesn't even work right. Melee is pretty much impossible to implement without a full source code modification. Controller mapping is a nightmare. Their code is full of hacks instead of taking the time to do it right, so it's unstable most of the time.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Overlord wrote: »
    It lacks a lot of basic features that you have to put in yourself. Things like platform jumping, it doesn't give you much control over game mechanics without delving into the source code. Its material system is lacking. The animation editor doesn't even work right. Melee is pretty much impossible to implement without a full source code modification. Controller mapping is a nightmare. Their code is full of hacks instead of taking the time to do it right, so it's unstable most of the time.

That's more like it, thanks. None of those problems are applicable to my use case, I think that might make me one of the only people T3D is ok for. I hear what you say about the material editor, I'd like to see a good vertex color based texture blending shader, but that may not come about.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Unless you feel like using BSP for everything like it's 2001.

why would you have to do that? Just because it supports bsp doesn't make it a requirement.

When I tried Torque it was pretty lacking in tools and capabilities compared to idtech but that was years ago, maybe it's improved.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    why would you have to do that? Just because it supports bsp doesn't make it a requirement.

When I tried Torque it was pretty lacking in tools and capabilities compared to idtech but that was years ago, maybe it's improved.

Not even Darkradiant, which is the most advanced Radiant fork, even has a material editor. There's also no particle editor or animation editor. I love idtech but their tools are in the stone age. Also any models you put into an idtech3 engine get turned into BSP, which has caused me no end of problems.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Torque, while a staple of indie development in its own time, has fallen behind the pack in terms of support. It used to be one of the most competitively priced indie-friendly 3D engines. But over the past five years Torque has been left to languish, while its competition has seriously stepped up their game.

One of the biggest advantages of the Torque engine was always its handling of vast, open spaces. This is a callback to the days when it powered the Tribes games. These days, its feature-set and flexibility are considerably less robust.

If you want an open-source foundation for a new 3D game similar to Tribes, then this might be a good engine to use. If you are in almost any other scenario, I wouldn't recommend it. There are just too many other, more appropriate options these days.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'm an engineer, and I wouldn't even consider it. Torque is long redundant; poorly optimised and lacking tools.