Home Technical Talk

Problem with Alpha details in Zbrush.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
I'm making a weapon at the moment, and doing details in Zbrush. I'm having some problems with using Alpha's for details.

Here is the alpha map I made in Photoshop:

ngqpE.jpg

And here is the result. You can see I'm getting all this noise wherever I didn't use either full black or full white. I want it to push out at different lengths. Does anyone know what causes this? Zbrush alphas don't have to be all white or black to work properly do they?

bZGuz.jpg

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Are you loading them into Zbrush using an uncompressed format?, (bmp, tga, psd etc).
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    alpha/ modify/ noise = 0
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alpha/ modify/ noise = 0

It's already at 0
    Are you loading them into Zbrush using an uncompressed format?, (bmp, tga, psd etc).

I tried a PSD and a Jpeg. With the PSD I had to flatten everything down, as well as the channels.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    did you paint the alpha or bake from max by any chance?

<edit> read the post properly. oops. is it 16 bit or 8 bit depth?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you paint the alpha or bake from max by any chance?

<edit> read the post properly. oops. is it 16 bit or 8 bit depth?

It was 8-bit. I set it to greyscale mode in photoshop and changed it to 16 bit, but then when I import into Zbrush, it just comes up blank.
  • Thousand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    if I look at the alpha image you posted, I can see the grain in the grey parts of it;

I don´t know where it comes from, but I guess you have to look for the sollution in the process of creating the alpha, not inside zbrush.

I would just redo the grey parts, shouldn´t be too much work.

cheers m
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Thousand wrote: »
    if I look at the alpha image you posted, I can see the grain in the grey parts of it;

Was just going to say, this is more noticeable on the darker grey along the edges.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    Was just going to say, this is more noticeable on the darker grey along the edges.

It's probably just the JPG compression on the uploaded image.
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

This is just a guess as to what might be causing this pixilated effect you have on this alpha.

1. When creating this alpha did you use the bucket tool and have the mode accidentally set to dissolve on the tool? This could give you bit of a grainy texture that might cause this.

2. Did you ever resize the image to make the image significantly larger? This could cause your image to become pixilated especially in the areas with the gradual gradient. When Photoshop resamples images to make them larger it fills in the image with new pixels of what it “thinks” should go there and it doesn’t always deliver the best results. See: http://www.georgegarbeck.com/Articles/resolution.html under the Resampling section for a better explanation.

Unfortunately, I agree with Thousand on this one... you will probably have to recreate this alpha in Photoshop if you do not want this texture applied to your model. Personally I think the grainy texture could give this mechanical piece a bit of character if you later add some scratches and dings to break up the pretty even texture you have now.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The grain in the image would be from the upload compression. I originally made the alpha in Illustrator and then brought it into PS as vectors.
    1. When creating this alpha did you use the bucket tool and have the mode accidentally set to dissolve on the tool? This could give you bit of a grainy texture that might cause this.
    Nope. Didn't use the bucket tool.
    2. Did you ever resize the image to make the image significantly larger?
    I did, but that shouldn't matter as I'm using vectors. I also tried it with a new 512 canvas and didn't re-size and I'm still getting the grain.

I added a bit of blur in the Alpha section in Zbrush and that helped a lot. I can probably continue on with the blur, but its still got me confused as to why its happening in the first place.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    This is funny...today at school I used an alpha I made and was getting the small noise that you are getting. Now that I am home I just tried to use it and its perfect...I'm looking into it as well and if I find something I'll let ya know.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it working. Used the color picker and ran it over the grey parts and it had two different colors in there. I couldn't tell as there was only a single number difference in the RGB numbers.

I was re-sizing, but I must have done something weird with the vectors. It's all good now.

A noob mistake it would seem, but I learned a bit more about Zbrush at least. Thanks everyone.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New question: Can you have an alpha that adds and subtracts at the same time without having the edges of the alpha show up?

I tried with a 50% grey as my base, but it didn't work.