Home Unreal Engine

Question about assets in UDK

Zocky
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Zocky greentooth
I have just one simple question.

Lets assume you are making chinese building, specifically, roof.

So basically, you have middle part that can be tilable, and then you have corners. You have corner both on left and right of the center piece.

So, my question is, can i just make one center and one corner piece, for example, just left one, and when i need it on the right, i just duplicate instance of it, put scale to -1 (in one axes), so that it gets mirrored, and then put it on the right.

If i do so, are there any potential problem for UDK, if i use assets in this way? Or do i have to make special model (asset) for the right piece?

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    You CAN do the scale negative route, but it's probably better to use the rightclick>transform>MirrorX/Y/Z options. That sets scale to neg1, but might also set any other flags we don't know about that might affect lighting or normal maps or what not. I can't imagine what those flags might be, if there are any, but I've learned to go the route Epic has built in if it exists, just in case. :)

Also, side note: NO mirroring options will work for speedtree assets under certain builds, as it would invert the backfacing, iirc. Maybe that's been fixed, but I dunno.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ah, tnx, i'll use your mirror trick. Tnx!