Home General Discussion

Little model reference books...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
I was in Waterstones today looking through random military reference books and found these awesome little books for people who make those miniature plastic models. They are fantastic reference material. The problem is I only found one main brand of them and a lot of there content is really old. I was hoping to find ones on Apache helicopters or the latest American/European tanks.

http://www.sklep.kagero.pl/category/ksiazki-topshots

Does anyone have a clue what these things are categorised as? Do they have a specific nick name? Does anyone know any different company's who might do more of them?

The books contain all the photos you would take if you was collecting reference material yourself. What's better is they are normally taken with great access to the vehicles so they even have pictures of the engines, interiors and all the nooks and cranny's.

Bah, would love to be able to find more!

Replies

• Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    They're always called hobby kits where I'm from.

There are a bunch of brands. When I was little, Hasegawa was what we all talked about, but no matter which brand the stock usually still looks like it's right out of the seventies :)
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Ah I see, I'm not looking for the actual hobby kits. But the reference books people buy to help them produce the miniatures accurately. Although I could start by googleing hobby kit reference books :D May be see if I can find a hobby kit forum and ask around. Thanks for the help!
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Tamiya used to be a leading company for military modellers/kit builders. Going back a few years, maybe decades though. Probably if you google around using some relevant search times you'll dig up something you can use.

Osprey produced many military reference books that people used. Not so sure about vehicles though. http://www.ospreypublishing.com/ Looks like they do!