Home General Discussion

Project Eternity Kickstarter - Isometric cRPG from Obsidian

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Chris Avellone and other Black Isle/Troika dudes are involved poly120.gif If they can pull this off I will strip naked and sing the song of my people.

You liked Baldur's Gate, Planscape Torment, Fallout 1-2, Arcanum or Icewind Dale? Go and donate!

Replies

• BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Put $100 down for that nice t shirt! Really excited for this project and the guys at Obsidian. They can make pure gold in the right situations.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Black Isle? Baldur's gate + PT + Fallout + ID? Screw money, i'll donate my liver to them! :P
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Half a mill already!
    wow!!!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
  • levin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    levin polycounter lvl 16
    is this a good sign? established companies using kickstarter? when several big names armed with hype machines enter the scene, they're gonna dwarf the small indie groups trying to be heard.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    levin wrote: »
    is this a good sign? established companies using kickstarter? when several big names armed with hype machines enter the scene, they're gonna dwarf the small indie groups trying to be heard.

It feeds kickstarter and all the projects on there indies are doing much better on kickstarter than they did before, also: Faster Than Light just got released!

It is more about bigger developers doing smaller projects that publishers would never pay them to, projects that fans want, projects that the games industry needs.

All this does is bring more people to kickstarter that previously did not use it.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    It is more about bigger developers doing smaller projects that publishers would never pay them to, projects that fans want, projects that the games industry needs.
    ^ this.
    and also, it's about devs getting to make games that THEY want to make.
    how many times i read interviews where guys say stuff like "yeah, our early games were cool but ya gotta move with times", "we've become so much better at making games since then", "this gameplay mechanic was outdated, we can't go back to that", "it will be a tpp (or fpp), it's a completely natural change that our fans wanted" etc etc.

so it's cool to see guys who clearly don't think that the way games are being made now is the only proper way of making them, and who will hopefully show that there's a shitload of supposedly outdated things that can be brought back and work just fine in a modern game.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    You liked Baldur's Gate, Planscape Torment, Fallout 1-2, Arcanum or Icewind Dale? Go and donate!

But they also made Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3 and New Vegas, which was okay, but it was buggy as fuck and they failed to learn from Bethesda when it came to the ending. They might deliver this time, but I'm not expecting much.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Love how they can get million dollares in 24 hours! :P
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Marine wrote: »
    But they also made Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3 and New Vegas, which was okay, but it was buggy as fuck and they failed to learn from Bethesda when it came to the ending. They might deliver this time, but I'm not expecting much.

again, though - that was under the watchful eye of publishers and market researchers and demographic based decision making.

also: according to what i've heard from a few people lately Obsidian recently went through a really big shift and shed a LOT of people. It's all hearsay, but the fact remains: this company has likely just gotten out of some pretty painful changes and hopefully has had to re-evaluate the work they've been doing and the way they've gone about doing it.

this could be an awesome sign of studios that have not necessarily been making the best decisions or producing their best work lately making a clear and deliberate change to go back to what they were once doing right.

obsidian is an especially good example of this. comparing their older work with the more recent titles is practically night and day in terms of inspiration and overall...goodness.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    This looks amazing, I would totally pledge for this... if i had any money.. at all.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ReverendK
    Alpha Protocol was their baby and it was the shittiest game I've ever played from them.
    I do agree that getting back to their roots might see a return to form, but until it's released and in my hands, I'm still worried that their glory days are behind them. Doesn't help that the video goes "We were Black Isle! Look at all these games we made a decade ago!"
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »

To make it clear, I didn't mention these games because they are not isometric cRPG's. Not because they were buggy.

To be honest, I'm not too worried about them releasing this game in a less than stellar state. It's been years since we had a proper, party-based, isometric 2D cRPG. I will take one no matter how broken it is :poly142:

I'm quite optimistic about this. I didn't enjoy Obsidian's recent games to be honest, but the things they had created in the past were some of the most inspiring gaming experiences I ever had. As long as they manage capture at least some of that magic, I will be satisfied.

At the very least, a success of this project will prove that this genre is not dead.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    I'm really excited for this and was happy to put some money toward the project. I like the fact that they met their goal of $1.1 mil in around 30 hours. The more classic-style isometric rpgs, the better. :)
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    Already funded - did this just surpass double fine's "the cave"? Wow!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Already funded - did this just surpass double fine's "the cave"? Wow!

The cave is not the kickstarter project from double fine :)
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to be honest, the amount of info they released seems pretty small.
    one thing that mildly worries me is the fact that i couldn't find any info suggesting that the setting is gonna have an unique vibe to it. the only specific thing they talked about is that magic being linked to souls, but i wish they explained in what ways it's relevant to gameplay mechanics and how it affects the world.

i'm definitely gonna play this game when it comes but i'd rather have something with it's own flavour rather than AD&D clone with same stuff but different names.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    to be honest, the amount of info they released seems pretty small.
    one thing that mildly worries me is the fact that i couldn't find any info suggesting that the setting is gonna have an unique vibe to it. the only specific thing they talked about is that magic being linked to souls, but i wish they explained in what ways it's relevant to gameplay mechanics and how it affects the world.

i'm definitely gonna play this game when it comes but i'd rather have something with it's own flavour rather than AD&D clone with same stuff but different names.

Thats what bothers me, I dont really want to see elves and dwarves in another lord of the rings derivative.

But I've still pledged.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they're early enough in the dev cycle - which seems to be the case - it would be irresponsible to start prattling on about story and mechanics that they haven't necessarily settled on yet. I'm assuming that as decisions are made more will be released.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    reverendK wrote: »
    If they're early enough in the dev cycle - which seems to be the case - it would be irresponsible to start prattling on about story and mechanics that they haven't necessarily settled on yet. I'm assuming that as decisions are made more will be released.

There is a thread in their forums about this. Alot of people seem to be tired of Elves and Dwarves. With their lack of information I'm guessing they are open to suggestions.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Calabi wrote: »
    There is a thread in their forums about this. Alot of people seem to be tired of Elves and Dwarves. With their lack of information I'm guessing they are open to suggestions.

Catgirls and Dogmen! Oh wait, not a japanese game, sorry.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pre-Tolkien elves (evil bastards) vs old school fairies with humans as a slave class abused by both. The dwarves were wiped out by the elves and fairies as a display of power to discourage an uprising, by the humans, orcs, goblins, etc.
    Project Eternity because the two warring races are immortal.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    By the sounds of things, they're using some traditional RPG racial archetypes and tropes but are going to vary them up through the different cultures that have formed in different regions - the example given were that the dwarves in the southern tundra are quite different to the ones who live in the more tropical north. There are also supposed to be a number of more unique character races alongside the familiar ones.

I guess it saves some time and effort on world building if there are a few familiar tropes that you can fall back on.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it's not common...don't know if it's much of an achievement - but dammit they made a million dollars in a day. gotta think of something so they can keep getting paid.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I just checked out their stretch goals and I don't want to sound like an asshole here (no seriously, I mean no harm, I'm just curious), but is porting a game to Linux really that big of a deal?

Linux gamers are a niche crowd, but niche when it comes to kickstarter is a fantastic, they might even amount to a large part of the kickstarter when told that they can get a native version if donating enough.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Nice background at 2:41. :shifty:
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NIIICE.

PE-TempleEntrance01-2560x1440.jpg

i can't help the feeling that water and some ground textures were rendered (painted?) at different angles then rest of things. also, highlights on water might be too large compared to the boat.
    but, those details on bridges... :)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    have to agree, something looks off
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    The water looks like its flowing from the beach towards the waterfall, imo.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Less than an hour to go and still climbing quite rapidly. Can they hit 4 million in 45 minutes? Probably not, but it looks like people are going to try anyway.

There's a livestream going on here of the Obsidian party
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/project-eternity-live-stream

EDIT: And it's done at $3,986,423 plus whatever the earn through Paypal which makes them the new record holder for highest funded game.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit, I never expected them to break 3.5 million! Two major cities to explore? Yes please, with sugar on top.

By the way, here's a breakdown of the environment:

PE-TempleEntrance-ProcessStack-1340.jpg
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    So excited for this game. And it's only 2 years away! ;)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Thank the heavens for Kickstarter! Now Obsidian finally doesn't have to deal with boring, run of the mill concepts like Alpha Protocol and Fallout that publishers dictate, but can fully unleash their creativity in something as creatively creative as a fantasy RPG.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
  • Emperors Teeth
    Nooooo.... How did I miss this till 1 day after it finished :S.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's finally here and getting fantastic scores from everywhere!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait to play it. My copy just finished downloading a short while ago, so I'm really looking forward to playing it.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    This is totally one of those kickstarters I regret not backing when I had the chance. Really stoked to play it this week!

For those who back it, was the behind the scenes video pretty informative? I was thinking on purchasing the documentary behind it to, via steam.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    I've played it 3 hours yesterday and it's great. It really has this Baldur's Gate vibe.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Played a bit this morning, so good. I was worried for a while I'd never play something like BG/Icewind Dale again!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was pretty bummed about my Bloodborne copy not arriving before the weekend, but damn, I don't think I will be bored. I've been playing PoE for a few hours yesterday and apart from one annoying bug (audio, inventory delay), the game looks and feels amazing. Definitely the closest thing to BG2/IWD since Black Isle days.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I've had extremely occasional audio problems as well where the voice acting will start somewhere in the middle of the line. It's a little annoying, but I don't really mind it much as I'm usually able to read the text much faster anyway. It's a good game and Obsidian seems to be getting a lot better at shipping games with fewer bugs, which I really appreciate.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Also having lots of fun — can't decide if my cipher should be melee or ranged though...
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Why not both? Most of the weapon specialization talents encompass melee and ranged weapons, and you can get a lot more flexibility when you need it by having one of each weapon set and switching between them as needed.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    If they can pull this off I will strip naked and sing the song of my people.

Don't forget to post a vid. Actually, just post a song, i could do without the strip part. :P

Anyhow, been playing an hour and a half so far....this has baldur's gate 2 written all over it. At times, i even forget this is not BG series....

So far, it's freakin' awesome.....Its really not for everyone, but if you like BG1/2, you are going to love this one, at least that's what i can tell so far....
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    amazing game, but is there any hope for modding tools?
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    The game is fun but I am not a huge fan of the 2d art. There is no vertical depth to the environments or dungeons say compared to Divinity Original Sin. I hope they do a sequel but I really wish it was full 3d.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Mstankow wrote: »
    The game is fun but I am not a huge fan of the 2d art. There is no vertical depth to the environments or dungeons say compared to Divinity Original Sin. I hope they do a sequel but I really wish it was full 3d.

The style is so iconic to games in the infinity engine that it'll likely never happen, which is why torment will sport the same look.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    i heard that that is what prohibiting modding support and level editor though. since nothing is modular, only huge 2d backgrounds which takes a lot of time to make, its really hard to resuse assets to make new content.
    making it all 3d would be a fair trade off for a sequel in my opinion.

my number 1 wish for this game is for extended modding support. modding is the sauce that makes the best things even better.