Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Symmetry UV's

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,
I was just wondering what is the best way to make symmetrical UV's in Max? To be a bit clearer... Say i have a character but I want his body to be symmetrical, but his armor A-symmetrical on the UV map, What is the best way to tackle this?

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of a confusing question but you want a symetrical mesh to have uniquely unwrapped parts?

Unwrap half of the mesh, symmetry modifier, arrange UV shells so they are unique. If only some need to be unique, only move those shells.

If you want symmetrical UV's also, stop at "symmetry".
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how to explain it. So the uvs are mirrored so i only have to texture one side of the model?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I believe you'd do what Mark suggested. Hide half the model, unwrap the other half, unhide the other half and move their UVs out of the UV square. Should be what you're after if you want to only texture half the model while still having the look as if you textured both sides equally. This way will also bump up the texture resolution since you'll have more UV space to work with. Does that help?
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah right sweet cheers guys, i always thought you deleted have the model don't know why. Also if someone doesn't mind answering this, could i just use a plane to model finger nails for a low poly (creature nails so it needs to be Geo) or would only one side of it show up?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could i just use a plane to model finger nails for a low poly (creature nails so it needs to be Geo) or would only one side of it show up?
    It depends on what engine you are using but generally there are ways to turn on "2 sided" materials. There might be some specific weird technical limitations that are specific to whatever engine/game that would discourage you from doing that, but in general it's a pretty easy thing to do.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers mate, just wanted to double check I'm heading in the right direction :)