Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[portfolio] - James Scott - character artist

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
Well I cant avoid it any longer, so here it is, my portfolio.

http://www.krop.com/polysculptor/

Im using Krop for my portfolio, I like the designs and layout they offer Let me know what you guys think :)

Replies

• tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    +1 for zelda stuff. Anatomy, anatomy, anatomy. Keep at it. Good start so far man.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Not bad, your portfolio is coming along.

For the site, the bouncing around is really annoying. I don't like the page jumping around every time I click a thumbnail. I had the tendency to move around between thumbnail clicks and got bounced back each time.

For your work, what I see is that all your characters are female (minus the armor) and they all have the same face. You should try and sculpt some faces while referencing features from real people to help differentiate them.

As well, you should focus on your textures. Based on your what I can see, your texturing is your biggest weakness. I don't get a sense of the materials from looking at the textures and everything looks sort of flat. Don't be afraid to paint in a lot more lighting information, or even bake out lightmaps. It'll help the eye and pop out the normal maps. Try and stay away from grey shadows and pure blacks in your textures too, it gives things a weird sort of "burnt" feel.

In terms of the character order, I'd put the armored guy first, the adviser second and the warrior third. I don't feel like the warrior is the strongest to be shown first. The high poly versions are great, and probably your best work, but the final leaves something to be desired. The final pose is weaker and more girlish than the HP versions. I'd also remove your "2d" and "Afflicted work" sections all together. I don't feel like they are adding anything, and the male high poly model and female low poly model are well below the quality of other work on the page.

Hopefully some of that wall of text is useful to you. :)
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys thanks for the comments so far. I'll diffidently give some serious thought to the suggestions. I agree on the Afflicted work its really below the usual quality I can pull now. Any other suggestions from anyone out there im always looking :)

Thanks again
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty good! The female warrior and Royal Advisor are looking best in my eyes. I quite like the sculpt of the females but the finished textured low polys of your characters isn't of the same standard. I think you need to work on your texturing. I would remove the close ups/expressions as they don't look that great. The female warrior and royal advisor sculpts are really good though. Keep them front and centre!
  • waf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waf
    The Darknut is definitely your strong piece, the expressions I feel are your weakest piece as they range from neutral to sad, the lips aren't really moving, there's hardly any change in the face. If you're doing an expression sheet you should have a wide range from open eyed shocked/happy to angry.