Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Link - WIP Thread

stevston89
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
stevston89 interpolator
Hi all! Just finished up Skyward Sword and was compelled to do some fan art.
Here is a paint over concept to get an idea of the outfit and WIP progress head sculpt. Please crit the head would like to get it to a better point before I move forward with it. Oh and as a side note I am going for an older Link
probably somewhere between mid 20s and early 30s.

f179eac2289eab78f0abc3377dd629a7-d5e8tiy.jpg
link_head_wip_by_stevston89-d5e8trp.jpg

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I'm really liking the sculpt so far. The face is very unique and a nice break from the typical videogame male protagonist face. Are you using any photo reference (basing this off an actor)?
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    You should make him youger, he looks 60 on your sculpt ^^. Also you should do a concept which match whith your goal. If you show a concept with a 16 years old Link in a manga style and a sculpt of an old Link in a realistic style, we can't say if it's good or bad. The clothes are manga too, won't match with a realistic head.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I don't particularly agree with Texelion's estimate of 60; this isn't a bad direction you're moving in, in my opinion.

A handful of things I'd keep in mind, though:
    - The upper lip is really, really thin and could use more volume. I also think the lips are rather sharp in their transition; they tend to fool people because it's not just a plane break but also a different colour. I presume you've got lips yourself, so feel 'm!
    - Philtrum is rather on the wide side.
    - Eyes are usually in the shape of a parallellogram, with the highest point more to the center. I know you want to pull off the stern look, but frowning is a function of the brow, not the eye lids.
    - The skull you've got looks to me to be on the big side in the side view; better compare to some reference.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Selaznog - Glad you like it so far. I have been referencing a few actors Zac Efron, younger Johnny Depp, and Jamie Campbell Bower. I have also been using some of 3d pieces of Link to draw from as well.

Texelion- I do think he looks older then I intended. Working on it now.

Zwebbie - Thanks for the crits!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Quick update not too much done today. Did working some changes based on the crits. Will most likely move to the clothes and revisit the head later. Please crit away.
    link_head_wip_2_by_stevston89-d5ef3bj.jpg
  • welch99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking pretty nice. can't wait to see more. I haven't played Skyward Sword yet. Do you think its as good as Twilight Princess?
  • Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    I've always felt that Link leaned a little closer to brawny than elegant. I don't know if making his face structure more masculine will be an improvement, but it's something to try out.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Welch - Thanks! I can't truely say Skyward Sword was the first I played since OoT. I did love Skyward Sword though!

Bacn - Yeah I can see that. I will try to push him to a more masculine look. I don't wanna push it too far though.

Small update just some hands.

2ac5f1c11c86f6aafed21cc5b6543804-d5eq8u8.jpg