Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Borderlands Siren

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Turret polycounter lvl 11
With borderlands 2 around the corner and being a big fan of the game and its art I thought I would take a crack at making a character that fits its style. I drew up my own siren that has a fire based ability she can use to super heat her knife so that it can cut through most anything. When she can't cut through something she will blast it away with explosive or incendiary rounds. So far I am pretty pleased with the face, hair, and body. Kept things simple and stylized only putting in details that will be seen and not covered by cloths. Will start making all the cloths and armor tomorrow. Let me know what you all think. =)

UPDATE:
Dumping some new renders. Got her rigged up and now working on the final renders. Have a couple versions, would like to know which people like more, the gold glasses and red nail or the green glasses and nails. I also have full body renders of her without her tattoos glowing so you can see her in regular relaxed mode.
fusecharacterintrogreen.jpg
fusecharacterintrogold.jpg
fuseshooter.jpg
fullpresent.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'm starting out with ZBrush, so I'm wondering what you do to do the head separately from the face and then how you merge those Tools together?

That and how you add the costuming without necessarily doing the ExtractMesh?
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can merge subtools using Dynamesh and I will give that a try, however I am not sure I can retain all the details I already put in (should have merged them sooner). So if that is the case I will just add to the head and get it down to the cervical where the shirt will cover it and then I wont have to worry about it being 2 separate meshes. As for the cloths I will us the new retopo brush and draw out the topology of a piece of clothing using the body as a reference. Once finished I will have a new subtool with clean topology that fits the body.
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    @Jade, I follow a workflow of starting out with a full basemesh, sculpting in my major forms and secondary details. Then I go into 3D coat/similar retopology program to create clean edge loops where I plan to implement the separate meshes that will be used to detail the head, arms, in addition to the meshes I will use for clothing. Finally, I take all this into Maya and start extracting the main meshes I will be using and tweaking them to fit my needs. I will give the clothing areas depth, and cap everything to keep it clean. From there I import back into zBrush to carry out the next stage of sculpting and refining detail. While I'm in Maya, I will also make some primitives to begin experimenting with additional objects to define silhouette and the accessories the character may have.

In some cases, I will actually use zBrush to extract certain elements especially when working with hard surfaces such as metal. Combining extractions from masks with the clipping brushes can usually give results faster than generating the primitives in Maya. It also allows you to stick with the creative process of zBrush instead of going to the more technical side of things. Hope this helps as there are a wide variety of workflows that achieve similar results.

@Turret I'm loving the direction the sculpt has taken especially the hair. The hairline seems too straight. I gave an example below of a type of hairline you could use. You could also give it more of a gentle curve. Something to get away from the feeling of it falling almost straight down.

headturnaround_edit.jpg
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TristanCarter thanks for the critic. I had a similar hairline before but it looked off, might have something to do with the shape of the head, I will go back and take another look.

For now here are the pants and belt area. The new insert multimesh brushes in Zbrush 4R4 are really fun to play with.
    pantsortho.jpg
    pantsperspective.jpg
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, the pants are sick, stackin' phat meshes homie. Way to push the concept in a better direction. ART!! -subbed
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Cool design. Liking those pants.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad people are liking the work so far. Here is a small update, finished the boots. Going to go back and work over the face a little more and start on the shirt.

bootortho.jpg

boot34.jpg
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaut polycounter lvl 7
    This is turning out very nice. I'm going to subscribe so I can watch this one evolve.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally I am pretty happy with the head now. I tend to get caught up in all the little details while sculpting and focus on one piece at a time but I should really jump to different parts of a model more. It helps a lot to come back to a subtool with fresh eyes after a couple days. After the boots I came back to the head. I sculpted some brand new hair and spent way more time then I should have pushing and pulling the face millimeters at a time. I have so much trouble with the human face still. It was definitely worth it though looking back at the old face. C&C please and thank you.

facerevisions.jpg
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    Focusing on one aspect for a long period of time will almost always lead to some problems. However, from what I see of your head, you've managed to pull it off. The face, hair, and pretty much everything look amazing. If there's anything I can notice that might be wrong with it, it would be the ear. What I mean by that is it feels as though the ear doesn't have enough separation from the side of the head. Most ears have a nice portion of the cartilage(the lobe and helix) are separate from the side of the head. This is honestly somewhat nitpicking though, because what you have is thoroughly amazing. For the pants and boots, there's not much I can say other than it's absolutely brilliant.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Ears should be moved backwards to right behind the center line of the skull. Take a look at nose reference. Her nostrils are sort of ending abruptly when connecting to the face when they actually steer inwards and fade out. A subtle thing but it'll do a lot I think.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    personally speaking, i'd pull the nose forward a bit to give a slight angle from the nose to chin, i'd also bring the chin and lips up a little to make the face less long, and look at adjusting the angle of the jaw by rotating the chin down and back OR the back of the jaw up and forward.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback, I will do another pass on the head next. For now here is an update on the boots and shirt. I got some more feedback on the boots and figured out why I wasn't liking them and it came down to the armor and how bulky it made them look. So I redid the plates and I like the shape of them much better. As for the upper body I changed up the shirt some from the concept. The concept looks great from the front but when you have to worry about all those straps in the back it gets a little too hectic so I simplified it a bit but still kept some asymmetry in there. Let me know what you all think.
    newboot.jpg
    upperbodyr.jpg
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Looks awesome so far. I don't have a lot else to add but I'll be watching for sure. :)
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. I finished the gloves and knife. I based the design of the knife on Zero's sword so the blade can materialize and de-materialize as needed. With this done I just need to make a couple more tweaks to the shirt and face and building the low poly can begin. All C&C welcome. =)
    glovewip.jpg
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    This is looking awesome!
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Really like that knife! However I prefer how it's attached in the concept better... Where the lower strap is now with the button, it would prevent you from taking it out fast.

Besides that, the only other feedback I have is on the backpack type buckles and straps that are located on the leg bags and knife case. I really dig the style on the belt buckle and straps on the boots. They look somewhat futuristic... It's the one part that seems to break away from the overall style.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to see people liking the work so far.

Kon: I agree that the new strap around the handle would make drawing the knife slower, but after looking at more reference it just ended up being more practical to add it in. As for the futuristic belt chain I wanted to throw something like that in since borderlands is a weird blend of tech and thrown together scraps. The textures should pull it all together.

I put in the final damage on the shirt, moved parts of the face around and got allll the subtools into one Ztool. Looking at the whole thing together I might have to enlarge the head a tiny bit to better fit the style but I think I will just do that on the low poly after everything is baked.

wholel.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, looking good so far. A few things i would like to see changed though.. The folds on her left leg seem very unnatural and it makes her knee look very low down on the leg, i think you could revisit that. Her belly is quite an odd shape too. I tihnk if you took a little definition on it and payed attention to the overall form instead of muscle placement it would look more natural. And lastly, the hands seem to be lacking in form/gesture - the look quite large and clumsy compared to the rest of her. I like the overal treatment of the sculpt though and definately think its on its way to being a nice character model.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilesruscor: I reworked that knee fold which also led me to take a second look at the overall proportions. Something felt off and it ended up being the legs were way to long. So at the same time I shorted up all of that. I retopoed her and with the low res mesh I scaled down the hands just a bit, I liked having larger hands but they were a tad too big.

So here are the wires. I used 3D Coat for the first time and it was fun. There is a couple wonky things but I will probably be using it from now on. The knife will be retopoed separately. Time for some uvs and baking. =)
    wireswc.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This is looking tight! This is all in zbrush, hard surface and all? Remarkable.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally! I think the one thing I don't like doing is baking maps. The knife gave me the most trouble, hard-surface things always do. So here are some screenshots from Marmoset. The low poly in a quick pose with normal maps and the base diffuse applied. While putting this together I realized I didn't put the bullets on the belt so while I am texturing when I feel like taking a break I will quickly model those and the goggles. Let me know what you guys think. Also Makkon glad you like it, everything was done in zbrush but the knife. =)

basetextureswip.jpg
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Wow. That looks amazing. Nice work.
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    I would love too get some videos (screencaps) or more info on your workflow. You're executing some impressive stuff here!
  • magmabolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    magmabolt polycounter lvl 13
    very nice, the shader really gives it that borderlands flare. I feel like her left leg is a bit blank, though that might not be an issue when the textures are applied, but it's something to keep in mind I guess. Definitely gonna follow this one ^^
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    you should take a look at the knee again.. it's way too low on her leg
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments.

OtrickP : My workflow isn't really anything special. Base mesh made in maya, zbrush the hell out of it, retopo in 3D coat, and UV in Maya. I bake out normal, Occlusion and bent normal maps using Xnormal and with those maps get a couple more out of Crazybump. Put them all together and I get this detailed black/white texture to start with. Learned a lot from BoBo during the darksiders weapon contest and Daphz has a nice breakdown of his texturing process here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97270&page=2

Magmabolt: The textures should add a lot to everything but I will keep an eye out and make sure its balanced.

Mithdia: I admit I have had a lot of issues with proportions with this model for some reason. After I finished the Zbrush sculpt and right before retopo I went back and shortened up the legs a bunch. So they should be accurate but I will take another look. The angle of the camera and the way her pants sit around her waist make things look a little wonky though.
  • Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flumpinator polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Turret, great details, your earlier model was definitely very leggy haha glad you noticed :) I would totally play as her if she was in Borderlands! Is there a chance you could go into a bit more detail of your method of producing the hair sculpt? it's pretty slick! Thanks, and can't wait to see more progress
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the textures. Got all the comic book lines drawn in, now for a nice detail/grunge pass.

Flumpinator: I really wish I had some solid method for that hair but it was just a lot of masking strands of hair off, clay to build up the shape and then using trim dynamic and H Polish to sharpen it down and pinch to bring it all together.

texturewip.jpg
  • Eleanorlamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is kind of awesome. Not gonna lie.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Freakin sweet mang
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    This looks amazing!
  • Augh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Augh polycounter lvl 18
    She looks suddenly very convincingly Borderlands with the drawn lines on there. Were you planning to use the Siren sleeve tattoo or just leave it out? Lilith and Maya both had it down the left arm, but your gauntlet suggests it would want to go on the right(?) Minor concern I guess, but I'm finding little else to crit.

Liking the palette and the variations from the hazard stripes and blue piping. This is looking very stylish and in tune with the ingame assets, really nice.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Very clean, very stylish! I like it!
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, finally another update. Now that the Dota 2 contest is over I can get back to finishing this character up. More work on the texture maps and now there are rough spec maps. Also threw on some glasses, not sure if I will keep the dirt on her face, still thinking about it.
    latestwipw.jpg
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW! You've really nailed this one, textures, design, everything screams Borderlands.
    Seriously inspirational work here, nothing else to say but well done.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    Questiones: The "comic book" line work you have, is it in the diffuse texture or another seperate texture multiplied/added in a shader? I ask this because i was always curious how they keep the crisp comic book lines on low res textures like 512 and down, those pixels usually start to disappear on 1024 and lower.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a outline from the shader around the entire geo but all the lines you see on the inside are all drawn onto the diffuse.
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work!

Can I ask how you made the net-like mesh on the trousers? Is this a insertmesh or was it created? I was after a similar effect a few months back for a rucksack...
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work turret.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David: Made the net in Maya. Used the wrap deformer to tie the net to a nurbs plane, using that to fit it to the body and Zbrush move tool to make little tweaks.
  • Sixoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sixoul polycounter lvl 9
    Is it just me or does the hand on the hip look kind of weird.
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmmm, it is possible I posed it wrong. I just quickly used the transform tools in Zbrush and maybe I put the wrist's bend a little too high, making the hand look longer. Will find a cooler pose for the final presentation. =P
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick little update. Finishing up the knife. Had a little fun with the colors let me know which ones you like the most. I need to pose her with the knife drawn to also see how it will look with her. Also might be a fun idea that when she first draws the knife it is green(strong/healthy) and as she uses it or powers up it turns red and then breaks.
    knifes.jpg
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great guy! looks like it would fit in borderlands nicely. But is it me, or do the eyes seem off a bit? to big maybe? off shaped? i dunno... maybe my brain is just a forceing a nit-pick?
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumping some new renders. Got her rigged up and now working on the final renders. Have a couple versions, would like to know which people like more, the gold glasses and red nail or the green glasses and nails. I also have full body renders of her without her tattoos glowing so you can see her in regular relaxed mode.
    fusecharacterintrogreen.jpg
    fusecharacterintrogold.jpg
    fullpresent.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, you nailed it! Great work.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Love it man and great way to go with the borderlands intro. Only crit I have its the cocked foot. in the last render. I would go with both feet flat on the floor.

Other than that good job all round. You should be happy with it.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    wow! that turned out great! I really like the pose, and how perfectly it fits into the borderlands world.

great job!