Home General Discussion

Graduate School

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
Has anyone been to Drexel or USC? I was thinking about applying to these schools to get my Masters degree. What experiences can you share? How hard is it to get in? How did you pay for school? etc.?

Replies

• Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    What are your plans for your Masters degree, what is the degree in? Are you planning on teaching?
  • kaze369
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    What are your plans for your Masters degree, what is the degree in? Are you planning on teaching?

For Drexel, M.S. in Digital Media

For USC, MFA Interactive Media
  • nick2730
    why would you want too? unless you plan to teach a degree is useless
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Without knowing much else about your situation I'll have to agree with Nick. A masters degree is pretty useless for the average 3D artist. If you are unemployed I don't think getting a masters is going to help increase your chances of getting a job. You're just delaying the inevitable.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    if youre putting your money into a masters for some random reason, you need to be going to guildhall.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    kaze369. you better explain WHAT you want to do, because going to USC (I go there now undergrad for IMD), you better know what you're doing to succeed and not flounder and waste money.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    http://www.princetonreview.com/top-graduate-schools-for-video-game-design.aspx
    Is a ranking of game design schools, but most have art tracks too, so might be helpful.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    nick2730 wrote: »
    why would you want too? unless you plan to teach a degree is useless

It would be useful outside the games industry if it were another degree ;)

If you studied game art at bachelor level then studying more game art at an expensive university is a waste. You already know all the basics, you know where the learning resources are. If you want to specialize further, then you already have all everything to get started on your own. Plus you rake up debt for a specialization you can get on your own.
    The benefit is also marginal, because there's people who will be as specialized as you, but they'll get all their skills at work - in the end they have the same degree of specialization + work experience.

If you want to get knowledge you cannot pick up at work easily, go for a degree that's not game art and makes you a better rounded candidate with more skills. Anything traditional art would be a big plus - not only will your resume stand out, you will also get skills which are really new, which your game art BSc may not have taught you.
  • kaze369
    Offline / Send Message
    I think if I went to grad school, I would want to learn more about how to use games beyond the scope of entertainment.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 wrote: »
    I think if I went to grad school, I would want to learn more about how to use games beyond the scope of entertainment.

Thats a very nebulous response. Beyond the scope of entertainment? You mean like 'serious games' and simulators? I would just take what everyone has said and just keep working on your portfolio. Going to grad school just to 'study' more about games is useless and won't get you any farther and will only delay you getting a job for a few more years while racking up more debt.

That is if you want to go into programming/computer science where a masters degree might actually be useful they by all means go for it. As you can probably tell on these forums, people advocate against schooling for games so we're just trying to guide you to be more successful through the best possible means.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    kaze369 wrote: »

Kaze, I met someone who got a graduate degree that ended up doing just graphic design in marketing for a game company. They quit since it was a dead end position, and now are taking some character art courses.

I myself would like to get a grad degree, to search out more interactive art installations. But, the best road I think is first to get the full needed exposure in the industry for a few years before doing this. Otherwise you will get out and have nothing to show.

In some cases having grad scares off employers even if the portfolio is good, as they think the grad would demand more pay and seniority than other applicants. On the other hand, it makes it much easier to get visas to work in other countries as most countries are more willing to hand out visas to Masters+ applicants.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I dare to argue that even for immigration a masters may be not as useful as it sounds if you're from the US. The main hub for our industry = USA. The only benefit of a masters is when *) you absolutely cannot get a job in the US, then look outside, *) you really want to see the world.
    But even then, the masters is more useful when immigrating on your own, i.e. without a job offer or when you seek permanent residency. And it's more useful for immigrating to well developed countries or countries paranoid about their job market, such as the US (but you're aready there anyway), a few EU countries which have tougher barriers than the rest, and maybe Australia(?) and Canada(?).
    For many other countries a job offer + bachelor and some sense of adventure is all you need.

Otherwise a masters degree could be useful if you want to head up to management, project planning or if you're in a very technical position. (coding, tech-art, large scale pipeline design). Although I also saw some art director postings where traditional art degrees would be a bonus for the application.
  • System