Home General Discussion

Looking for place to stay

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys and girls.

Looks like I will be moving to Horsham sometime in the coming weeks.
Since I don't want to rot on the street I am looking for a place to stay, maybe a flat and I don't mind sharing place with others.

Maximum price for me would be 600 pounds a month, so if anyone has a place to rent out or know of someone that has, I would be very thankful :)

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay: mm, I have been looking there and I have almost found a place, that is about £600 + other expenses.
    The problem with that is unfurnished, nothing included in the rent like internet and other stuff. Still if I cant find anything else I will have to go with that :)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    mm, I have counted in around £200 for the place, also I don't know anyone there nor anyone around here that is moving.
    So finding someone to share a place with me wont be easy in my own network, that's why I was hoping maybe someone on polycount is moving the same way :)
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    You won't get somewhere reasonable of your own for £600 per month here; this is the most expensive area of the UK to live in. You should be able to afford a room in a shared house however. Council tax on an average place to live here is just under £160 per month, and expect to pay around £75 for utilities (gas, electricity and water). The cost of living here is otherwise quite similar to Norway. Quite a few people in this area pay 75% (or more) of their salary on living costs.

To put things in perspective, my modest two-bedroom house about 15 kilometers away costs £1000 per month, with £153 per month in council tax, about £75 per month for gas/electricity and £320 per year for water. My basic cost of living is probably in the order of £20,000 per year.

FYI, Horsham is quite a small town, so I would not expect to find anyone else moving in that direction! Enjoy Creative Assembly.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee: Thanks for your input, I have been told it's quite expensive to live there, but atm I live with my parents so really anything would be a upgrade from that, as long as I have a place to sleep and eat I am pretty much happy(and the occasional shower)

I will keep looking trough the sites, since it's not many weeks until I leave, around 2 weeks, so I will have to jump on whatever I can find.

It's a quite small place to be England, still 3 times more people than where I live now I Norway, will be quite a change :)

I will enjoy Creative Assembly, once I get down there ;)
  • Wesley
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have added that Zoopla has proven for me to be the best place to find accomodation :)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks both of you :)
    Will be searching to find a flat, makes it easier on myself to, wont have to buy as much furniture.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    I am renting - however what I pay is actually very cheap for this area; it's not just below average but below the cheapest you can currently find.

My house is considered to be 'three bedroom', however one of the rooms is unreasonably small in my opinion.

Prices vary from around £1200 per month to around £3500 per month. I should probably really be paying around £1600 for my place given that it's of reasonable size.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^580&minBedrooms=3&maxBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses

Edit: Houses also cost two-three times that much to buy here!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been messaging a few people and between those rooms that already has been taken and those who don't want me there, I am still waiting for a few answers, or else I will have to go with the "expensive" unfurnished place :)
    If anyone has more tips or info it's very appreciated.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Andreas, did you find work in the UK? Can't the company over there help you find a place? 2 weeks without somewhere to stay is tricky, you'd have to live at the office :P
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Once you start hitting areas in the south-east, the prices get ridiculous. I remember when I needed to move to Cambridge, we were shown some flats for £750+ a month with a living room you couldn't even swing a cat in..

If its possible and convenient for you, look at the option of commuting in from a cheaper area. I ended up a 20 minute cycle ride away from work for a decent two bed house at the same price as a mid town tiny flat.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris: Yeah, going to start working at the creative assembly October 1st(awesome:))
    Also they said that they can't help me directly with getting my own place, but I got a link to a agency that I am in touch with.
    But going trough them also get's more expensive and the place is really more than I need, but still the cheapest one.
    Also I am not moving down before I have got myself a place, I don't want to end up a 3D artist crackwhore(not my official position) :)

Baj Singh: Yeah, some places are ridiculous expensive, still I have found cheaper ones to share with others, just waiting for them to message me back. :)
    And even then it's about 20 mins with a bicycle, not the worst thing used to that here in Norway, as I don't have a driver license. Still I might look again for some place a bit further away :)
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't worry about being on the outside of time a bit - public transport here is pretty reasonable albeit expensive. What you can spend on rail travel you can save on rent sometimws.

Try looking in areas a little further out near rail stations; Horsham a station, and within 10 minutes there's Crawley, Ifield, Littlehaven, Warnham, Faygate and Billingshurst amongst others. I would probably look at Crawley since it's a much bigger town.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Chris: Yeah, going to start working at the creative assembly October 1st(awesome:))
    Also they said that they can't help me directly with getting my own place, but I got a link to a agency that I am in touch with.
    But going trough them also get's more expensive and the place is really more than I need, but still the cheapest one.
    Also I am not moving down before I have got myself a place, I don't want to end up a 3D artist crackwhore(not my official position) :)

Awesome! Great work man, I knew you''d make it! yeah you'll like the area though, it'll be easier to find a cheaper place once you're down there. Maybe you can find a roomie, as long as you have somewhere to live it's fine. ^^

I went to England for my first job, really nice experience :thumbup:
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee: Indeed, there is money to be saved when using public transportation, so that is a option. It's seems like I might have found a flat-share with someone I just have to be sure it's not a scam :)

chrisradsby: Thanks :) Pretty sure it's a huge amount of luck on my part to, could probably applied to 100 more places without even getting a answer ;)
    Where in England did you live, when you worked there?