Home Technical Talk

Specualr Map advice for a Wet Suit

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,
I am working on a scuba diver game character and would like peoples opinions on how to get the wet look to the suit.
I have the normals baked out and pretty much done the base colours for the diffuse.I have an AO map along with cavity maps which will be used as layers on top of the diffuse to allow me to add extra detail and some shading.
I would really like some pointers on getting the effect of a wet suit.
Should I take the diff, desaturate and paint highlights into areas where its likely to be more wet? or do I flood the whole specualr map off white and add darkness?
Appreciate any thoughts on this,thanks

Replies

• Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what he meant was "how do I get a wet type of look"

Which most of the time can be sorted with high spec & gloss and a bit of know-how.
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunglao polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys,
    You are right Adam, just looking for ways to get my specular to give off the impression the suit is wet.I will be adding a gloss map too, good tip thanks.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Um, Scuba Suits, even after a good swim, don't become highly wet and glossy as you might think, especially since many of them are made out of pseudo-rubber or latex/lycra type of materials, which either run off the water once you come out, or (if they have padding) act more like a sponge then anything else.

Most of the times, when said suits look wet, it is when the material that they're made out of is actually very shiny, and they get darker after a dip.

I suggest hitting up google to for Gloss/Roughness and Speculars, as well the different kind of Scuba suits, because it honestly very much depends on the material you're trying to get the look from.