Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Vejigante

Admiral Skye
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Admiral Skye polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone, in my country of Puerto Rico we have some festivities with a costume called the Vejigante. I always liked the design of the Vejigante and I decided to make a model of a Vejigante as a creature rather than a costume. The Vejigante costumes are mostly seen in two towns, Ponce and Loiza. Both of which have different styles of Vejigantes.

Vejigantes from Ponce:
2u70uar.jpg
s1qd4z.jpg

Vejigantes from Loiza:
140vpkj.jpg
30rnol2.jpg

Ponce style Vejigantes have masks made of paper mache and have long mouths and thick horns. While Loiza Vejigante masks are made of coconuts and they have round heads with thin horns.

I started out with a hornless and toothless Ponce Vejigante so I can make different horn variations.
2cf4kuf.jpg
suzpdw.jpg

At first when you look at it doesn't look like a Vejigante at all, but when you add the horns:
2ecofmd.jpg

It actually starts to resemble one. But I'm using the hornless one at the moment so I can make variations much easier. I'm also trying to give them a body that's not too human but still resembles a Vejigantes. I made the clawed feet for that reason. I also plan on giving them an appendage that resembles the frills from the costume that are connected from the arms and legs, kinda like a flying squirrel or a bat.

For right now, I want to see what people think of it and see if there's some fixes I can make to the base model. I also plan on making a Loiza Vejigante after I finish the Ponce base model.