Home Technical Talk

Maya AO not baking properly

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
Hello everybody,
I am currently working on a character and I now reached the baking stage where i transfer all my high res detail onto my Low res Character, plus the Ambient Occlusion. Well, because this Character has so many parts, I decided to bake the pieces separately, so I wont have overlapping pieces and my PC can handle that better. When I baked the pants for example, the normal map just came out great, however the AO map was just plain white. I looked at numerous tutorials but I am not doing anything different then what they show....
I tried Xnormal and that gives me an average result i guess, but its really a hassle to export all the LP and HP geo separately and then import it into Xnormal just for the AO bake, that would cost me hours... :/

Thanks alot in advance :D

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you're a beginner like me, life will be easier when you use xNormal and NOT maya to do AO.

TRUST me. Go download xNormal, since at least to me, it was more direct, actually had a In Progress Bar so you could see when it would be done, and less finnickyness to it.
  • CyberGameArts
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    If you're a beginner like me, life will be easier when you use xNormal and NOT maya to do AO.

TRUST me. Go download xNormal, since at least to me, it was more direct, actually had a In Progress Bar so you could see when it would be done, and less finnickyness to it.

Thanks man. I guess i will give it another try :D