Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pyro guy

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
Guy I work on... 3ds max does whatever it can to make the proccess as bad as it can. I baked AO with light tracer and and I got black seems. Used huge padding. Even tried to save as 32 bit alpha to remove it with alpha... but alpha doesn't include those black edges...

For now about 15k tris.

Will post more as soon as I fix those errors.

Fu0OWR.jpg
TqgANl.jpg

Throw the critique !!!

Replies

• DemonToaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool design :), I'm by no means and expert on this stuff, so don't take this as gospel. But to me it looks like the leg nearest the camera has a bit of an odd curve to it, though could just be the cloth folds playing tricks on my eyes. Not sure about why you're getting visible seams, the only time that's happened to me is when copying the image directly from the render window into Photoshop.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvuJPs.png

Fixed Ao bake. For now I'm messing with colour palette for him. Also need to finish gas mask and flame thrower.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    The lower leg looks a bit off, almost like the shin has been broken. Also try to keep his feet & legs apart when modelling, it gives a more natural look and reduces complications during rigging. Oh and I just noticed that his trouser crotch area looks really low, you could raise that up a bit unless that's his flame thrower fashion :p
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SCB wrote: »
    The lower leg looks a bit off, almost like the shin has been broken. Also try to keep his feet & legs apart when modelling, it gives a more natural look and reduces complications during rigging. Oh and I just noticed that his trouser crotch area looks really low, you could raise that up a bit unless that's his flame thrower fashion :p

Yeah keeping legs apart is something I learned during making him :D I will fix shin but it will be brutal edit ;p low crotch trousers... flame thrower fashion sum it well!

Working on his flame thrower. Based of Karanak (deviantart ID) concept. For now it's test bake. I just threw projection modifier, pushed it a bit and baked. Tomorrow will explode this fucker and bake it exploded. Pretty happy with non exploded bake though.

T57XLm.png

b6g4Lv.png

About 11k tris and 2k map. I tested 1k map and it doesn't look bad. I should have used more mirrored elements.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I also agree that I don't think your weapon's tri count should be as high as for what it is. It's almost as much as your character without having as much detail. Think about what view your weapon will be viewed from, 3rd person, 1st person? That should help you optimize a bit.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The weapon is definitely way on the highpoly side. For example, I think 14 triangles is enough for the trigger. Right now you have about 40.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks guys for your input. I will reduce tri count.

I baked normal map in 3ds max (scanline) and I got those broken pixels... Do you know what causes them and how to avoid it ? It's not the first time I got those when baking in 3dsmax. Would be cool to know how to fix those. Fixing it in photoshop is kinda tedious.

UWiLY1.png
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    disable supersampler, render twice res and resize in ps. :) not sure what is causing that, it happens all the time with supersampler to me :|
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    If your still getting some of the artifacts try filtering the oversized map with Anisotropic in Photoshop. There's still a lot of opportunity for optimization -- Don't be scared to cut in some triangles. :) Small peeve -- I like the direction of the whole piece and I'm sure you did it on purpose but the sagging crotch is a little too saggy for me.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for you crits.

I will probably go back to xNormal for baking naxt time.

I know there is still room for optimization but my main goal is to finish this piece. I will remember to optimize low in the future. Unfortunately right now I'm at the point where I have to finish something! I won't be going back to change the trousers or to optimize more. I know If I will take step back I won't finish it. I'm really grateful for your crits and will learn from them but for now it's 'BERSERKER FINISHING MODE!'.

Started texturing the flamethrower...Probably will change colours. Good amount of experimenting on this one since I lack skill to get good texture with consistent workflow ;p (blue handle is a place holder!)

RDTYMu.png
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merged all in one file. Got back to 3ds max 2009. I just can't stand 2013 after using 2009.

I do have one question though. Is there possibility to turn on viewport shadows in 2009 with 3ps shader ?

mhg5LI.jpg
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A super simple way to get rid of those pixel errors is just running de-speckle over the normals in PS :) usually cleans up 99% of em.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtlusZMH wrote: »
    A super simple way to get rid of those pixel errors is just running de-speckle over the normals in PS :) usually cleans up 99% of em.

Yeah but blurs normal map a bit :/

Baked gas mask. Looks so so... still need to fix the leg. Also tested some simple rigs. Will probably use CAT to pose him.

OW5mAF.jpg
    LzEAII.jpg
    RkRe9s.jpg
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed few things and started working on spec maps (draft). Also tried simple CAT rig. I'm really new to rigging and skinning so I'm learning as I go. Also I finally figured out how to make gifs ;p not important skill but something new!

Now I will focus on finishing those textures (I suck at texturing so much but I think this project is really improving my skills).

Sorry for the Gifs size... ;p
    5rXq62.gif
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New up... I think he looks better without gas mask <.< I will see if I will keep it. I suppose it's the most boring thread ever :D

Dae1wG.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I think the reason the small gas mask was not working is because it didn't really fit a flame thrower character. Look at what he's wearing: heavy, fire protective suit. But only a small amount of his head is protected by a thin layer of rubber from a small mask.

Might I suggest either using a larger, thicker gas mask with flame retardant head protection (kevlar?), or change it up a bit and use a wielding mask. You can pimp wielding masks quite nicely and make an interessting character, google search will give you loads of ideas.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SCB wrote: »
    I think the reason the small gas mask was not working is because it didn't really fit a flame thrower character. Look at what he's wearing: heavy, fire protective suit. But only a small amount of his head is protected by a thin layer of rubber from a small mask.

Might I suggest either using a larger, thicker gas mask with flame retardant head protection (kevlar?), or change it up a bit and use a wielding mask. You can pimp wielding masks quite nicely and make an interessting character, google search will give you loads of ideas.

Yeah I think you are right... Maybe I will create something else... Thanks for the help :]