Home General Discussion

AI lays off more teachers

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
reverendK polycounter lvl 7
Article.

I don't know about anywhere else, but the casualties in San Diego were hands down the best Game Art teaches that school had.

One more nail in the EDMC coffin.

Replies

• SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    OC was also hit. Lost around 30 of the best senior staffers there. All my teachers... now gone.
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    so Ai just killed itself?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what confuses me is that they're laying people off, citing monetary issues, which would make these redundancies, right?

yet they have 300 or so open vacancies for the same positions.

it's law here in england (i realise that this is an american issue, just wondering if there's something similar in the states) that if an employer makes people redundant, they aren't allowed to advertise that position of employment for at least 6 months.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    There's similar laws here gir. I believe it varies on the state. California is something like can't hire someone for the same position for 90 days.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    All i know is that I hope AI puts itself in a position where nobody wants to instruct there any more.
    No doubt they'll always be able to sucker in naive or desperate students - but without teachers it won't work.
    I already know of several Game Art and Animation teachers who weren't laid off but have no intention of staying after this
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Are they laying off full time faculty and replacing them with adjunct? The stupid thing about them supposedly being in financial trouble is they don't pay teachers very well anyway. Not sure where all of the absurd tuition money is going. :)
  • Justin3d
    That sucks I actually transitioned from industry to teaching so I could have a more stable gig after several layoffs and a more flexible schedule for family. It's a shame that even that sector gets hit. Although I don't teach for a for profit college so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
    I checked the EDMC job site and it looks like they have several adjunct positions open. Having multiple adjuncts teach part time is cheaper than one full time teacher with a full course load so that makes sense. It's a shame though I know teachers who can't find full time gigs and end up teaching at 2 or 3 different colleges and still make less money than a full time instructor. At the school I am at we get paid for planning time, meetings, and office hours, adjuncts don't. Not to mention no benefits.

Also my undergrad was at AI Pittsburgh. The tuition back then was half of what it is now. It was an ok school overall and I think it's one of the few if not only AI that is regionally accredited. But even then I saw tons of money wasted. For example one year they installed multiple flat screen TVs on every floor of a 7 story building with news and weather.