Home Technical Talk

Maya Render UVW Template

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 16
Does anyone know how to make a solid filled "alpha" of your uvs in maya? The UVSnapshot doesnt help much since its just wireframe and id like to make a selection map similar to rendering a solid uvw template in max or using textools to create a blocking map.

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, I couldn't find a way to do this either out of Maya. I found the quickest thing to do was just render out the wireframe layout in Maya, open it in Photoshop, magic wand select a black area outside of the uvs, invert your selection and fill. You could make an action out of it as well that will turn the filled selection into an alpha'd color fill layer named "UV Mask" or whatever.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I magic wand select even with a tolerance of 0, I select mostly all of the document. For the time being im just doing a 2nd render out of xnormal with not so much padding when I do my bakes, but it'd be nice to see if this is possible without leaving maya.

;______; I miss the user friendliness of 3ds max.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    make sure you have the 'contiguous' option on the magic wand ticked.. then if you click outside an island it will only select the outside.. and make sure you export your UVs without anti-aliasing from maya.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Oniram wrote: »
    When I magic wand select even with a tolerance of 0, I select mostly all of the document. For the time being im just doing a 2nd render out of xnormal with not so much padding when I do my bakes, but it'd be nice to see if this is possible without leaving maya.

I would argue Maya is just as user friendly if not more so in certain areas... I think what you feel is just the pains of using another app with another way of doing things.

Anyways... I hold in my hands a powerful cgfx shader can do exactly what you need...

Behold: http://blog.leocov.com/2011/10/lcreprojectcgfxa-novel-texturing.html

Much respect for Leonardo for creating this.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »

That's weird. Try Adjustments>Levels in Photoshop to boost up the black? Echoing what rube said about the contiguous option, but I'm curious if your UV template isn't coming out borked up with bad gamma or color correction or something.

Alternatively, you can use transfer maps using a duplicate of the same model to bake a diffuse only map, real speedy.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    make sure you have the 'contiguous' option on the magic wand ticked.. then if you click outside an island it will only select the outside.. and make sure you export your UVs without anti-aliasing from maya.

you know, i honestly expected that to work.. haha. but even with anti aliased off in maya, photoshop magic wand still selects everything (and contiguous checked).
    Alternatively, you can use transfer maps using a duplicate of the same model to bake a diffuse only map, real speedy.

i may start using this once i wrap my head around transfer maps. alternatively now im just baking in xnormal, so there's an option for "bake diffuse texture" which you can put as a solid color. works all the same but i just have to dial down the padding.

thanks for all the input everyone. :D
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW! holy crap. so i figured it out. the reason my magic wand selection was not working (with anti-aliased or not) was because of my eyedropper tool settings. i had my sample size set to 51 by 51 average (from when i was doing color samples) and apparently that effects the samples that the magic wand selects also.. well then... i am unhappy with this. regardless.. less headache for later. thanks again for your help everyone. :D