Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Demon Lord - Crits Wanted

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, i started this character yesterday, he is a generic Demon but I'm hoping to get this one finished and game ready. I'm looking for Critique so please help, cheers :).
devilrender.jpg

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Model looks pretty nice but he seems kinda tall. Generally, people suggest that the length of the body should be around 7-7.5 heads long.

Here are the general landmarks you should keep in mind
    1st head- Nipple line
    2nd head- Bellybutton
    3rd head- Just above the pubic symphysis
    4th head- above the knee
    and so on
  • Toxic929
    Offline / Send Message
    Toxic929 polycounter lvl 8
    If it were mine, I would play around with his posture with transpose tool. Hes a demon so try not to give him standard tpose feel. I'm not sure what sort of anatomy your going for.. I'm assuming you want a demons head on a buff male body? for one compare his butt to male models.. right now its a bit lumpy. also the way the mouth is pushed together liek that and the teeth are bunched you are channeling this: ba7.jpg
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys should help a lot (will put an update soon)
    I was just wondering what symmetrical pose would be best for this type of character, any ideas?
    Cheers :)
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    51533580.png
    32915557.png
    Just been playing about with the face, although i have taken both of your advice and changed my model accordingly.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of a bump but some progress had been made, Just got the low poly done and baked the normal, pretty happy with the outcome just need to do some tweaking on the hands.
    Let me know what you think cheers :)
    baked.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    I think you model is looking good so far, the problem is it is not consistent. In some areas you have very sharp clean details and then some other areas it kind of seem muddy. I think you should get all of you details to look as sharp as the abdomen. So when you bake your details are nice and sharp, not all muddy like the legs. Overall its a good start.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for that man :) I was thinking though, legs aren't always defined as well as the torso so i didn't concentrate on them as much, but I'll see what i can do in the diffuse to sharpen the rest up a bit more. Has anyone got any ideas of what colors the skin should be? Red just seems to common/generic... Cheers
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    maybe its some kind of stylizing, but if you aimed for a realistic view on a human form, then your body looks too sketchy
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats incorrect specifically about the torso? Might be able to learn something...

Edit: Yeah, i wasn't focusing on creating to realism but i see what you mean. :)
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats incorrect specifically about the torso? Might be able to learn something...

m19.jpg

this is a bodybuilder and it is stance where he is tense all the time, to show off muscles

is your character a bodybuilder in pose? i guess not

more specifically you want to look at your deltoids, they do not behave like that, also pectoralis major looks off, and your trapezius is probably too developed for that body

and there are tons of incorrect things, that im too lazy to point for you
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Lol, I didn't realize that there were 'norms' for a demon.

I will actually disagree and say that from a sculptural point of view, the torso is one of the stronger regions of this model. The forms read well in the sculpt, and subsequently bake down nicely as you can tell.

For the limbs, I would say that looking forward towards your next project, focus on keeping a nice consistency of level of detail and craftsmanship across the whole model. Also, when sculpting anatomy, try to build up the forms, rather than carve them out. In most areas of the body things are layered on top of one another to create a form. There are few true cavities. So I am of the opinion that it is easier to get a good result, if you emulate that truth in your sculpting technique. For instance, in that first render of your sculpt, you have carved out the back of the knee. As a result, it doesn't look natural.

Just some thoughts for the future. Keep up the work, dude!
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, I didn't realize that there were 'norms' for a demon.
    demon or not, he must have a proper anatomy
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jeremy, cheers something a bit more constructive!

and to be fair demons/creatures are fiction, who knows how close it could be to human anatomy... But I'll take it as a learning curve anyway
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    demon or not, he must have a proper anatomy

True, but you could at least do him the kindness of explaining what you mean by "pectoralis major looks off." How does it look 'off?'

"deltoids do not behave like that." How are they behaving in his sculpt vs. how they behave in real life? Come on, man. Don't be a douche. lol. If you're gonna discourage somebody from even trying something (I see you've edited you original comment, heh) then the least you can do is provide some constructive feedback.

If I may, Luke_Starkie, I believe what SuperFranky is referring to with his deltoid comment is that in your sculpt the deltoid appears to be influenced by the underlying bicep resulting in a concave angle of the transition from the shoulder to the bicep, which is not the case as shown in that bodybuilder ref.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah right yeah, Makes a lot more sense , cheers :) Although it would seem pretty pointless going back on this model now, might as well get it finished then learn for my next.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, take what you've learned and apply it to the next project. Right on!