Home General Discussion

To hop the pond...

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
reverendK polycounter lvl 7
while engaged in my unending job search I have been coming across more and more positions open in the UK and places like the Netherlands. I live in California, and given my limited amount of professional experience I operate under the assumption that my stuff had better be amazing for any company that far away to go through the work and expense to get me there... I apply anyway, most of the time, but feel it's usually a long-shot.
I was just wondering if anybody would care to discuss their observations on people getting work overseas like that. I know it happens - I had a teacher move off to Amsterdam to work for Guerilla for a couple of years. but how common is it actually? How impressive does your resume or portfolio generally need to be to attract the needed interest? Are there regulations on required time in a related field (as i believe is the case with Canada)
more importantly, if anybody's experienced it (especially with children) how much of an adjustment was it?

More curiosity than anything else...but please...talk amongst yourselves

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I think it depends on the job market really, if I left the US to work in Europe in 2005 and I wager I wouldn't be as fortunate today as I was back then. Back then the job market was much better and anyone with Next Gen experience was in demand. Right now i wager it isnt the case and you would need a portfolio that is really impressive or fits exactly to what the company is looking for. I am not saying its not possible but i imagine it might be difficult.

As for regulation it depends entirely on the country, I tried to work in the UK after I left my first job in Europe and i wasnt able to get a work visa in the UK due to their points system. Because of my crap Art Institute education i fell short of the proper amount of points to be eligible for their first tier visas. Because of this no company would hire me because of the hassle and money it was to get a 2nd tier visa.

Germany on the other hand was insanely fast and easy, i got the job,flew back to the US to visit my family and expected to wait months but 2 weeks later i had a visa and was on my way back to Europe faster then i expected.

As for children i can not comment since i have none but most major cities have international schools which teach in english.

reverendK wrote: »
    while engaged in my unending job search I have been coming across more and more positions open in the UK and places like the Netherlands. I live in California, and given my limited amount of professional experience I operate under the assumption that my stuff had better be amazing for any company that far away to go through the work and expense to get me there... I apply anyway, most of the time, but feel it's usually a long-shot.
    I was just wondering if anybody would care to discuss their observations on people getting work overseas like that. I know it happens - I had a teacher move off to Amsterdam to work for Guerilla for a couple of years. but how common is it actually? How impressive does your resume or portfolio generally need to be to attract the needed interest? Are there regulations on required time in a related field (as i believe is the case with Canada)
    more importantly, if anybody's experienced it (especially with children) how much of an adjustment was it?

More curiosity than anything else...but please...talk amongst yourselves
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah UK is pretty difficult (as a non-European), you need a fair share of experience, or the company has to "sponsor" you and they can't do that for many people (at work there's one person being sponsored, can't have any more).
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    "more and more positions open in the Netherlands"

You're forgetting that over here there are also more and more courses (GLR, GLU, IGAD, QANTM) that spew forth competition. The entire industry is picking up over here, mostly smaller studios and self-starters.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Teejay sort of has a point as well, the UK is not that nice of a place to live to be honest.
    Also, if you're having trouble finding a job in the US, I would suggest to work on your portfolio, it definitely won't hurt in your case.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Just to clarify... you want to move from California... to the UK?

California... to the UK?

haha! amused.
    but in all honesty, California isn't all it's cracked up to be. The weather's great - that's certain. I have already come to the conclusion that I will never be happy with the weather anywhere else...ever. Aside from that it's just another place. Maybe it's because I grew up here and it's all hold hat now.
    And just to clarify: I'm not actively TRYING to find work in a different country. I have, however, been seeing more and more jobs out there - and I've applied for a few - in addition to all the applications I put in to studios here in the states.
    Just wondering how difficult it is, what the process is, what the adjustment was like, etc.

This is largely due to to the fact that I applied for a position at Interwave that got posted in the paid job postings here on polycount...then realized after submitting that it was in the EU.
    And the fact that I've been eyeballing the Splash Damage art test for months and wondering if I should even bother. (I probably will eventually, even if just to do another project.)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think most jobs out there ask for you to already have a working visa. Which is weird, because for you to get a visa approved you need a job offer letter with your name on it.

Same for Canada. Same for the US... except here in the states they want you to have a green card.

Which in my mind tells you. Stay away, we only want to hire people around here for the time being.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah...I'd like to say that it's because our economy and by extension our unemployment numbers currently suck...but i suspect that attitude has been around longer than that.
    I think Xenophobia is entirely too strong a word to describe the average American attitude towards people from outside the country..but i don't know a milder form of it.

it has been my observation that a person's nationality is generally viewed as their single most defining characteristic in the US. Not that people are scared of them or racist or anything, just that it's the first thing they see or use in a description or explanation.

Even in the way American's describe themselves to a lesser extent. Most people in the US were born here, most people's parents were born here. As far as culture is concerned we're all "Americans", but lots and lots of people describe themselves as "Irish" or "Italian"...which they're simply not in most cases.

This may have to do with the fact that almost everybody's ancestry came from a different country at some point around here, which leaves us with the problem of lacking a truly distinct culture of any significant age or tradition...Which i think a lot of people feel they want or need to define themselves as people (or excuse their habits and behavior) - so they grab onto what they know of in their ancestry.

I've even done this myself from time to time...and I don't even know where my last name actually came from. I've been told that it's Belgian...but my dad and I were drinking at the time and that may have been wrong or I may be recalling it wrong...
    In a Etymological discussion I had with a friend from Ethiopia we were considering variations on it's spelling...but it's lost to me. I have no singular defining "nationality" to claim - just a few genetic percentages.

And (i'll probably get flamed for this) LOTS (not all. please don't crucify me) of Americans are Narcissistic asses when it comes to discussions of an international nature. The attitude that we're the "best" country in the world persists even while our own government does its very best to screw us and the rest of the world over...

but i digress...
    I have a friend who went to Bioware in Edmonton directly out of school. They worked with him and he was able to pad his resume with some old Arch Previz stuff he had done after highschool in Mexico to get the required "related field" experience.

...crap. i hope this doesn't turn into a debate thread. they seem to follow me everywhere. maybe i'm too opinionated
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    reverendK wrote: »
    haha! amused.
    but in all honesty, California isn't all it's cracked up to be. The weather's great - that's certain. I have already come to the conclusion that I will never be happy with the weather anywhere else...ever. Aside from that it's just another place.

you're already in the spot with the (seemingly) most enviable job opportunities. that being said i totally get wanting to see more of the world. however, if nice weather is really something important for you then stay FAR away from the UK! been there, done that and all. if you want sun, better look elsewhere. ;)

generally the UK i find an uninteresting place for jobs right now - a few years ago it used to have a thriving console dev scene and a strong currency but many companies there went under in recent years and there's a now a lack of opportunities in a country somewhat circling the drain (imo).
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    There are plenty of places in California looking to hire - especially with mobile studios popping up over the place. Look into those, especially if you need experience and do want to travel the world later on.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I guess the grass is always greener...

I'm in California too, and I keep hearing people say they wanna go to Europe. Though the UK isn't usually the top of their list. Gotta say, I wouldn't mind it either, just for the reason of wanting to see more of the world.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    again - not saying i WANT to go to europe. I WANT to find a job...and if it's in Europe it'd be a double edged sword. Could be fun..would be an exciting and drastic change...but it could be a huge ordeal and a tough adjustment.
    There's a good volume of work in California, true. There's also a good volume of applicants. actually California would be ideal for me since I have a family to move - but i have to take what doors open up.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those wanting great weather in Europe: I know TRC Family Entertainment in Malta was looking recently. Doesn't get much sunnier than that, and it's quite cheap, as are flights from there to mainland Europe.
    http://www.trcmediagroup.com/
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I think at the end of the day you do need a REALLY good portfolio to land a job in the EU from outside. Works both ways as well. The cream of the crop are always in demand and you shouldn't really be considering getting a job in another country if you can't get one in your own that already has plenty of them. Splash Damage have particularly high standards as well.

I think, get a few years experience under your belt then consider changing countries. Or just apply for absolutely everything, cus you never know!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori wrote: »
    The cream of the crop are always in demand and you shouldn't really be considering getting a job in another country if you can't get one in your own that already has plenty of them.

I don't know if that's really a fair statement. in my experience and observation one's success in a job search (at least in the first job or two prior to being well established in the industry) relies nearly as much on timing and luck (aka right place right time) as it does on skill level.
    which isn't to say you can get the job without the skill...but the skill will usually only get you MOST of the way there. the rest is who you know and when you asked.
    obviously not always the case...but something i've seen and experienced pretty regularly.
    Or just apply for absolutely everything, cus you never know!

bingo! exactly what i've been doing and the reason i've started this thread.
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    You might have more luck if you wait a bit longer for the UK, from what I know tax cuts for games dev studios will be coming into operation next year which should hopefully spring up many more studios and more jobs!

Dundee has a booming indie games scene, might be a few jobs up there.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    There are plenty of opportunities in UK, but mainly in England. Check out www.careerpowerups.com, it usually has a huge list of games jobs from all over :)

Dundee is okay. I studied there but generally the jobs there are the lowest paid you'll find combined with the longest hours. It's a cheap city to live in but it's a bit unstable still.

Travelling abroad and working for a year or so would be awesome :)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    With a family i imagine it would tough to move and live abroad but as a single person as i was it was one of the best decisions i ever made.

I love all the travelling i have gotten to do and all the places i want to see as well.

Career wise, the protections ive enjoyed as a worker have also been really good on the occasions i have lost my job,the benefits are much better then they are in the US.

Last job i lost i got 4 months of salary as compensation and that made a huge difference when it comes to stressing out about finding work