Home General Discussion

Great Austin TX Hangouts

Hey PC,

So I'm currently spending some time in Austin dog-sitting for my aunt and have a ton of downtime between seeing family and whatnot around town. I've been here before for GDC and a couple of Horns games but I've never really been free to just roam around and enjoy the awesomeness that makes up Austin. I still have a bit over a week to go here and was wondering what some of your favorite places to hang out or go do were.

I've been out to Salt Lick and plan on cruising down to Shiner at some point as well as probably hitting up the river or even Schilterbahn before I leave. I have tickets for this Master Pancake thing at the Drafthouse on Friday night to go see them rip on Fight Club, per my cousins recommendation, but other than that I haven't done much besides hang out with the family and stuff my face (Taco Deli is amazing by the way).

I had hoped for some IGDA events to be going on while I'm here so I could meetup with folks and get some networking done, but it seems as if they're done for the summer and not doing a whole lot of anything in August.

So I ask you, Austonians of Polycount...where are all the super rad places to hang out around town and shoot the shit, eat and drink some killer food, or otherwise have a great time?

Thanks a bunch,

Mark

Replies

• BrianP
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    6th street is always a fun time. the bar called kung fu saloon is always where i end up going. They have arcade games and a huge jinga blocks.

also there is Barton Springs pool. its basicly a big natural spring that stays at a constant temp (cold). good for thoes hot days.

good site to check out : http://www.austin360.com/

lastly the west campus area has a bunch of neat shops (Tylers) and food.
  • skankerzero
    do512.com is where I go

This weekend is Batfest and the Hot Sauce Festival downtown.
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    also pick up a chronicle, local free paper. it'll list all the shows that are coming to town too.

we should probably do another polycount get together, its been long enough
  • skankerzero
    r13 wrote: »
    also pick up a chronicle, local free paper. it'll list all the shows that are coming to town too.

we should probably do another polycount get together, its been long enough

I'll get on that.

I'll look into doing one in September.
  • Mark.N
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, I'll certainly check them out. Hell, I might even bump into some of ya at Batfest on Friday :)

Also, I went to this place called Bangers last night on Rainey St. and holy shit, can I highly recommend that place. If you like beer and insanely good sausage rolls, then you need to go check it out :thumbup: