Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Weapons

stevston89
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
stevston89 interpolator
Hi all. Trying out making some hand painted weapons. Here is a dagger I made yesterday and its texture. Might do a bit more work on it crits are welcome. I will be making some more weapons this week.
7e8282f19a5be5957ede996c76ec984d-d5c0boz.jpg
a0a9a2563b30ae3ae0f6930d0e9be6ae-d5c0c5r.jpg

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    looks good to me. I'm no hand painted texture artist, but perhaps you could try a bit more contrast on the handle. and maybe a gradient? I think it's looking very good though. One other thing to consider is what distance will this be seen at? Are your details holding up at that distance?
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah highlights around the metal edges (especially around the handle) need to be larger. All those cuts and details need to be larger as well so they read better from a distance. The whole texture needs more contrast and as he said^ dark to light gradients to give the whole weapon more tonal variation. Good start though!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    nice work so far! thought, what kind of materials are all those supposed to be? think about it.
    i guess the yellowish stuff is gold? right now it looks like some semi matte coated wood or something, add some nice reflection as you did with those small marbles
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Thanks for the feedback guys I did some tweaks on it. I did the most work on making the gold area look better. Let me know what you think.
    05d01c0768678885ecd3e0f95895ccc7-d5c6j3j.jpg
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looking better! Highlights on the gold help, but that part still needs more contrast. Convincing metals have really dark areas in crevices and aaround curves. Like look at the dynamic range in these:
    goldak47.jpg
    05KR0038G.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Here's a quick paintover. Hope you don't mind. Just saw a few things to push further

Depth! Increase the contrast and large depth areas.

Color needs a bit of tweaking to get closer to gold.

Push the shading on the handle area to make it appear more rounded.

Scratches should have a highlight side (bottom) and shadow side (top). Not highlights on both.

Fomori_paintover_01.gif
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I think Jeff nailed it! Get those fixes underway and you can call this a finished piece
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Thanks for the crits again. I made a bunch of changes based on the crits. I made the center gold piece push out in instead of being inset. Crits are still welcome I will keep them in mind for the next one.
    68f8d69a9572ab489ad387759d3460cd-d5cdvgc.jpg
  • Jarm
    The thing about metal is that the diffuse of most metals is in actuality incredibly dark -- almost black. It is the spec that gives metals most of what we perceive as their local color.

Gold and brass have an extremely dark brownish-gray diffuse and a bright yellowish spec. I would try pushing the broad areas of the metallic bits much darker, reserving brightness and saturation for specific highlight areas to mimic this property of metal.