Home General Discussion

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Replies

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I might pick it up when it's on offer later on. But I really didn't enjoy the beta. I'll stick with CS:S for now.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya i was on the beta early on and pre-orederd but have been too busy to play sofar
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    looking forward to the hats :D
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    is it good? I never really got into CS-S . I loved 1.6 and previous versions though. I'd love it if it's just simple to pick up and play because...I really got tired of all the crap with Blacklight : Retribution.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya agreed games like blacklight i only played once, because when i want to play a shooter, i want to jump right in and play, not try to figure out if i can afford to build a gun that isnt rubbish.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    So are we going to be able to use steam workshop for anything?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I pre-ordered it to get access to the beta a few days ago and I've been enjoying it a lot. I had probably about 1500 hours total in CS:S and I started playing CZ in 2002 so I have a history with CS but I'm not one of the nutsacks who thinks 1.6 is the only way to play it ever. At first the shooting seems a bit off and some parts of the game seem overproduced (The music before and after rounds took some getting used to for me) but after playing a few games it starts to feel more like CS. The demolition mode, which is a cross between the gungame mod and de, is pretty interesting. There's also some new weapons and a few new grenades/tools.

@Chris, it's real easy to just jump in and play. Just click Find Game, pick the gamemode you want and then it'll automatically find one of Valve's servers for you and slap you in it. They still have the old server browser too though if you want to play on custom servers.

@Computron, I haven't heard any plans for the workshop yet but I'd imagine they'll do something even if it's just a place to download maps/mods more like Portal 2 and less like Dota2/TF2 where they'll choose from contributions to add to a shop.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, can I get in the beta with preorder?

I have never played Counterstrike, but perhaps the matchmaking and a large population will help ease out the learning curve.

If they have some kind of Workshop support, even if it's just basic support for adding features, guns or maps that would be awesome. I looked it up, and the SDK will apperantly be out after 3 months. I wonder what new stuff it will have for weapon artists in terms of shaders and ease of use? I have never used source SDK either.

Also, I don't get one thing, what is the price of the game, it says it's a bundle that usually cost $30, but only includes one game that costs $15 that is %10 off?

PoU3Q.png
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    YT comments are the best. People actually complaining the trailer is not realistic because a T died with one grenade only. Lmao
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Computron the sdk is already, out i pre-ordered and was on the beta, and i already have the tools for for getting maps and assets into it.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    @Computron the sdk is already, out i pre-ordered and was on the beta, and i already have the tools for for getting maps and assets into it.

Hmmm, maybe the article meant 3 month's relative to the beta's release.

So, how is it?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and what do you mean how is it? There the exact same tools provided with any other source game, hammer for map editing, some tools for compiling models for the source engine and converting targa to vtf for textures.

bit cumbersome but they work, just like they have for all previous source games.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Although it's more of the same with outdated graphics... i bought it, but i won't play it until its release day.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i've played a lot of it since the earlier betas and it seems pretty solid from a gameplay perspective, though i still haven't gotten around to renewing my ESEA subscription so i can play some proper scrims and stuff. i REALLY hope they continue to work the esports angle as the community seems really into it right now. there's no real PC FPS games on the esports scene right now like there were in 2001, so here's hoping this puts them back on the map.

they need to fix the awp though if it's going to be a serious esports game--way too nerfed right now with the longer draw time and completely broken timer-based quickswitch "fix" they added.
  • Computron
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Racer445 wrote: »
    i've played a lot of it since the earlier betas and it seems pretty solid from a gameplay perspective, though i still haven't gotten around to renewing my ESEA subscription so i can play some proper scrims and stuff. i REALLY hope they continue to work the esports angle as the community seems really into it right now. there's no real PC FPS games on the esports scene right now like there were in 2001, so here's hoping this puts them back on the map.

they need to fix the awp though if it's going to be a serious esports game--way too nerfed right now with the longer draw time and completely broken timer-based quickswitch "fix" they added.

That sounds really good to me, I don't care much about the graphics , I just want a really solid basic skill-based shooter experience. No perks and no leveling up and stuff like that.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    wont get if they wont allow surfing maps or fun mini-game gamemodes
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    wont get if they wont allow surfing maps or fun mini-game gamemodes

where does it say they wont allow that, hammer is still included with the game, the physics are hte same so surf maps can be made, and hammer has teh same entities aviable as previous source games, so the logic for pretty much any gamemode you can dream up can be made.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    I liked every CS but I hope that this one will bring some new weapons.
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    It does bring a lot of new weapons...
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Weapon list:

Pistols

Terrorists
    Glock-18
    P250 (replaces the P228.)
    Five-SeveN
    Desert Eagle
    Dual Berettas
    Tec-9
    Counter-Terrorists
    Glock-18
    P250
    Five-SeveN
    Desert Eagle
    Dual Berettas
    P2000 (replaces the USP)
    ShotgunsEdit
    Terrorists
    Nova (replaces the M3)
    XM1014
    Sawed-Off
    Counter-Terrorists
    Nova (replaces the M3)
    XM1014
    MAG-7
    Submachine gunsEdit
    Terrorists
    MAC-10
    MP7 (replaces the MP5)
    UMP-45
    PP-Bizon
    P90

Counter-Terrorists

MP9 (replaces the TMP)
    MP7 (replaces the MP5)
    UMP-45
    PP-Bizon
    P90
    Rifles

Terrorists

Galil AR
    AK-47
    SSG 08 (replaces the Schmidt Scout)
    SG 553 (replaces the Krieg 552)
    AWP
    G3 SG/1

Counter-Terrorists

FAMAS
    M4A4 (replaces the M4A1)
    SSG 08 (replaces the Schmidt Scout)
    AUG
    AWP
    SCAR-20 (replaces the SG550)

Machine guns

M249
    Negev
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is confirmed workshop support for maps. It seems that server admins can subscribe to maps in the workshop, and whenever you upload a new version it will automatically push to servers. This is fantastic news for both mappers and server admins.

http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2012/08/3709/

I don't think they've commented on workshop support for player customization.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Rojo wrote: »
    There is confirmed workshop support for maps. It seems that server admins can subscribe to maps in the workshop, and whenever you upload a new version it will automatically push to servers. This is fantastic news for both mappers and server admins.
    thats really sick
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This is a very good game. If you like counterstrike, you should get into it. Maybe even if you don't!
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Its going to be pretty awesome if they bring all the modding for CSGO under the steam workshop, I assume weapon skins/models is a given for this?

Either way I bought it, not a big CS fan but this does feel like a solid game. I kinda wish they got a bit more fancy with the environments though, some paralax would have gone a long way imo.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    just pre-purchased @ steam. gotta be old-time fun nodding again :3.
    I just wondering how the editor could handle organic and non bsp level design.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    A lot better than it used to. Valve have modelled entire stair cases now rather than brush them out. My favourite bit is how models cast shadows in players arm like this chainlink fence I put in cast all over the gun and hands.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never played source. Would be fun to get into mapping again though.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I love it. I've played CS on and off since 1.6, I logged stupid, stupid, hours into source before Steam started counting; and I'm loving GO.

The 'Classic' game modes are nearly untouched bar a few balance tweaks and new weapons (which I love), and the two new game modes are both very fun and something more silly. I think Hidden Path have done a fantastic job of making a counterstrike title that should satisfy old vets and CoD kiddies alike.

Pick it up and play with us!
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Really loving it, and the thing is, i never got into CS source at all! But a friend invited me to the beta and got into the game, I hope the game gets a good amount of mods like CSS did, then you get a never ending game there :D The new Steam workshop features sound great.

If you got into the beta, you don't have the game, you have to buy it, right? I mean because it says I currently have CSGO and it lets me buy it for a friend.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I am enjoying it, but on some maps its impossible for me to make distinctions between friend or foe :\
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    adam wrote: »
    I am enjoying it, but on some maps its impossible for me to make distinctions between friend or foe :\

Oh god, when I played italy and all the Terrorists where wearing blue with white face masks... I shot alot of the wrong people for the first hour or two on that map! :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is so much wrong with italy in general. You get used to that, though! The more I play this game there more in love I am -- definitely my favorite CS title. Demolition is so damn fun, awesome, simplified distillation of what makes cs cool.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    There is so much wrong with italy in general. You get used to that, though! The more I play this game there more in love I am -- definitely my favorite CS title. Demolition is so damn fun, awesome, simplified distillation of what makes cs cool.
    Only problem i have with demolition is that after a couple kills you eventually get a weapon that you dont want to use at all.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    I am having fun with it. Deagle is pretty nuts so eco rounds going to get crazy! Definitely want to see some new maps, played dust 2 enough to make my eyes bleed. Maybe we will just have to make some new ones :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Only problem i have with demolition is that after a couple kills you eventually get a weapon that you dont want to use at all.

Ah man that's part of the joy of it! There are only a couple of (even debate-ably) weak guns in the rotation -- for me I can't handle the Bizon at all -- but with the rounds typically lasting under 60 seconds and the tight, intricate maps, getting dealt a bad hand (say, bison when a lot of CTs are still on M4 ) presents a great opportunity to hone your understanding of the maps.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    man..i almost bought it last night. but then the wife conned me into sleeping...gonna have to get in on this nonsense.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Ok guys, hit me up on steam for some games! steam id is 'fearian' (with no quotes!)
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    fearian wrote: »
    I think Hidden Path have done a fantastic job of making a counterstrike title that should satisfy old vets and CoD kiddies alike.

You get gold star filled with brownie points :D
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    You get gold star filled with brownie points :D

Oh snap! Congratulations on the (impending) release and nice job with the environments! :poly142:
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I was curious, why did valve team up with hidden path anyways? (Great game btw)
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryswick wrote: »
    I was curious, why did valve team up with hidden path anyways? (Great game btw)

Not sure, I was hired a few months into the project and wasn't involved in any of the cross-studio meetings. I just went in to make the art stuffs.

And thank you guys!
    Seems like forever since I shipped anything. Tomorrow I'm gonna party ^-^
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Got the beta over the weekend and have put in about 10 hours so far. Still feeling pretty rusty, but it'll come back, I'm sure.

Also, no silenced M4A1/M4A4 :(
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Karm -

Who's in charge of the esports side of things? It seems strange to have DOTA2 and even Blackops2 start heading in a really good direction only to have that currently absent from CS:GO.

Also, will there be any information up about the ELO calculations? It seems there are so many variables in getting valid information especially with the presence of bots.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone see any modded servers on the server list yet?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hey Karm do you know if Valve or your studio will be highlighting custom maps? I've been working really hard on this CSGO map with Smokerscough in the hopes it'll be accepted by the community. I know the workshop is being implemented but I was hoping they'd do a similar thing to TF2 where certain content is made official.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't worked at Hidden Path since April and I have no answers for you, I only made art stuffs. If I can get ahold of a former coworker later I'll edit this post with any answers he can give.

Glad you guys seem to be liking it so far though ^_^

EDIT:

"Valve has shown interest in both pro players and tournaments for csgo, there will even be one at PAX this year.

Cant divulge how the ELO works. Rest assured it works and takes into account whether or nots bots were present. We worked through all of the scenarios.

Valve announced plans for a csgo map workshop where the community can post maps."
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went ahead and picked up the game after seeing it coming very close to beating CSS on steam stats. Hopefully modders will have an easy time moving
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hows everyone else liking it? I love it so much
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ever since the MAJOR update that released before the game officially released. The game has been more enjoyable. But not in the sense that joining a server through the server browser hardly ever works and just says "joining..." and then says "session no longer available".

But yeah, it's been fun so far. ^^