lolwth.jpg

I am absolutely speechless. Made several backups and all are like this Oo

*this used to be a branch filled with leafs*

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yep, had this issue with Max 2012, it happens randomly for sometimes no reason at all.

What about the auto-backup, do those work?
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    sadly they don't :/ I think this might be caused by some error in the file itself since if I go back and remodel the whole tree and save it again = this again.

Really hoping somebody knows how to fix this weird issue!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KABOOM... yea had that happen to me, it seems like the file went corrupt at some point and I didn't know until I reopened it. It had corrupted a few of the older files that I remember working on without an issue. Nothing I did fixed it, it just kept getting worse each time I opened it.

Because of this I bound "save incremental" to "Shift-S" so instead of overwriting one file over and over again it saves a new file with 00, 01, 02 ect...

Now I use a script that I wrote that saves the file to several different places on different drives and renames one working file, so my projects folder isn't littered with a bunch of copies but it is very dependent on the folder structure that I use so it wouldn't do anyone else any good. But if you're interested in setting it up I can help you do it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, what Mark said, ditch this file, enable Incremental Save and hope for the best.

Max 2012, even with the latest patches has this annoying habit of corrupting stuff for no reason (or maybe they do it on purpose to limit Students/Freelancers work who aren't sub'ed to them).

Either way, it's like a virus, one the file starts having issues, ditch it, you cannot save nor import it in another file as the issue will keep on growing, you can only hope to contain it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just talking to a buddy of mine and he said he thinks the issue might be memory related or it might be a combination of memory and video driver issues. He mentioned that this seems to happen to him more often when using Nitrous with all the bells and whistles, after a while it eats up too many resources and corrupts the file.

I have nothing to back that up other than I do more animation than modeling and I switched back to Direct3D mode a while ago and it doesn't seem to happen to me, but I chalk that up to doing more animation, but maybe there is some truth to it?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    only time I've ever had an issue like that is because my stack was pretty extensive. lots of modifiers (bend, ffd, etc) with edit poly's in between. all the edit poly's seemed to have been the problem. is this anything similar to your situation?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, there is some truth to all of that.

When using RT shaders, I noticed more extensive 'loss' of models, and I always need to make sure I have my stacks collapsed before saving/opening the file, to decreases the chances of something going wrong.

Also, nVidia did gimp out their drivers for their latest cards, not allowing for certain things like native viewport back-buffer render, so maybe that did have some effect?

Overall, I think working in a clean-sterile environment is for the best, don't use Nitrous, don't use shader, collapse modifiers, etc. Sad, I know.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the very usefull responses guys. I indeed had a very big big modifier stack on my leafs: several bend and ffd3x3 modifiers etc.

I will keep in mind to collapse the modifiers !

@Mark Dygert , wow man I would love to have such a script. And you made me bind shift + s =P
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice one haha ^^