Home Technical Talk

anyone running GTX 670`s?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BigErn polycounter lvl 11
Just a simple question, anyone running something like the
Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP and if so, how does it run the usual apps : Maya, Max, Zbrush etc etc..

I need to replace my always bad performing GTX 460.. and soon :poly122:

Just wondered if the 670 series will perform a LOT better...

Cheers,

Replies

• BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, I was always disappointed with the 460, when I upgraded from a 9800 I think it was, the Maya performance was just really slow! ie. just having a 500,000 poly model would be smoother with the older card. I meant a 460 btw, sorry about that. I dont know maybe its a hardware issue, Card/Mobo..

I need to replace this card as I broke a fan blade, but I also want to upgrade too, just to have something solid, so just capable of running all the major apps without issues. I saw the 670`s are not 'supported' by Autodesk, which is not a surprised, but just want to know it should run 'well'

I will check your link, cheers!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    this is pretty anecdotal but I'm running this 670 and it runs max, etc very well. I haven't tested maya yet but can this evening if you'd like.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I have a strange behavior myself with maya, which let me think that a good gpu is not always needed for having huge scene in maya.

A model of 2 million of triangles (smoothed sub-division) is running slowly on my best machine (gtx 470 + quad-core) but on my shitty laptop (dual core + ATI HD4670) it's running fine and smoothly. I can't understand why...

I'm thinking about a specific option in maya which could drive the performances, but i never changed anything on both of my computerS. That's weird.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check out this thread guys :)
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92072

pretty much all 400 500 and 600 series nvidia cards seem crippled in these softwares.
    minus zbrush as thats more cpu dependant? and not sure on max as i havnt used that nor am i familiar with the viewport options.
    mayas viewport 2.0 runs 10x faster than standard viewport on my gtx580

so the older nvidia cards out perform the new ones in these applications and also the new amd cards are better from what ive read
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, any testing in Maya would be useful, just to know if it plays well. I know there seems to be issues rumored to be Nvidia messing around to kill the performance, but I`m damned if I`m going to pay at least 3 times just to get a Quadro!

I just dont want to waste what money I have for not much improvement over the 460. It sounds unlikely, as a 670 should be quicker no doubt, but the lack of knowing is frustrating.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    it didnt work better in my experience.

I recently purchased a gtx 670 and then returned it. i bought it to replace my current card which also happens to be a gtx 460.

my gtx 460:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500182

the 670 i tried:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121637

maya regular viewport performance was 1/2 or less compared to my 460 so i returned it. tried different drivers as well. mudbox performance was better though but i work a lot inside maya regular viewport and poly model a lot so that is a priority.

also to note, i tried an AMD firepro V8800 few months ago which had lightning fast speed in mudbox. it also had very fast viewport 2.0 in maya 2012+ BUT regular maya viewport was slower than GTX 460 so i returned that as well.

i am currently still running gtx 460. its working well compared to other so called "highend" cards out there. mudbox also works fine with my gtx 460 and since i now have 32gb ram i have little problems in mudbox.

500k tri model seems pretty low to be a big problem for maya viewport.
    i can navigate regular viewport with 8 million tri model @ 2-3 fps.
    500k model works at 10-20 fps
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Single massive models will cause problems, Maya's viewport renderer just isn't built for doing that. I believe ZBrush is CPU rendered judging by its CPU use. I wonder if this trend of GPUs becoming more suited to scenes of many batches of fewer polygons might lead to a return to software rendering for editors.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Yeah, zBrush doesn't use the GPU, only the CPU.

So, that's a driver problem. Meh. :\
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess Maya viewport shouldnt hold anyone back from upgrading to these cards, as JamesWild said its not really made to handle it, but there is quite a difference between the Nvidia cards and AMD doing the same scenes, with heavy models.

I just dont like Autodesk saying "Important note: Nvidia Kepler graphics cards (Geforce GTX 670-680-690) are not supported by Maya."

I know game cards have never really been supported in the past, or certified, but why do they mention just the Kepler range?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i can easily model and keep editing a 1-2 mil poly model in regular maya viewport with my gtx 460. viewport 2.0 is very buggy with component selection and just not good for modeling. 80% of my modleing work is done inside maya regular viewport so that is my priority.

i was thinking of trying out a quadro next but i also want to be able to play latest pc games at high res. i also dont think there is much physical difference between a quadro and a geforce.

it is mostly a nvidia/autodesk marketing scheme to force professionals to spend good money on same technology. they just lock/disable certain opengl features that maya viewport uses in the gaming cards and lock some of the direct3d and directx features in quadros.

also on my next to test list is one of the AMD gaming cards HD7970 pci3.0. Amd's seem to have more raw compute power compared to nvidia but may be at the expense of possible driver incompatibility.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    The performance isn't there with Quadro, I was using a Quadro 5000 (previously had a GTS250), wireframe and shaded performance increased by more than double but the moment I introduced textures it slowed down to similar performance (15-20fps), and my viewport 2.0 performance wasn't any better. I still had viewport selection lag and uv editor lag which were the killers for me, I returned the Quadro 5000 and picked up a gtx 480 for cheap from a friend.

I heard that one of the primary reasons to get a Quadro was nullified (frame clipping)
    when Maya 2011's interface was redesigned using nokia QT. Performance didn't increase using Mari either (I think Mari is more dependent on ram and hdd speed).
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    BigErn wrote: »
    I just dont like Autodesk saying "Important note: Nvidia Kepler graphics cards (Geforce GTX 670-680-690) are not supported by Maya."

I know game cards have never really been supported in the past, or certified, but why do they mention just the Kepler range?

The 1st quadro that uses Kepler architecture (K5000) was just announced recently, so there has been no certification on Kepler hardware whatsoever. It is expected to be available by itself in October and in workstations In December.

Remember when they say not supported, it doesn't mean that it won't work... it just means that if there are issues, they don't want to hear about it. There is also no support for Maya bonus tools, but I'm using them everyday.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, just for those tech experts who might know a lot more than I do.. the 660Ti, which has been recently released appears to be as good as the 670`s? As the 660Ti is cheaper, is it a better option to risk upgrading to? I went with a 460 when at the time there was 580`s available, so dont want to maybe make the same mistake.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    BigErn wrote: »
    So, just for those tech experts who might know a lot more than I do.. the 660Ti, which has been recently released appears to be as good as the 670`s? As the 660Ti is cheaper, is it a better option to risk upgrading to? I went with a 460 when at the time there was 580`s available, so dont want to maybe make the same mistake.

It's definitely the better bang for buck card compared to the 670 and 680. It also runs cooler, quieter and draws alot less power than the others.

Keep in mind that if you use anything that is CUDA enabled you will probably want to go with a 500 series card.

I think the 660 is a good choice of a card, but with that being said I don't know if you would be disappointed with it a few months down the line.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Ti budget cards are essentially high end cards dialed to 10.5 instead of a 11.

They're not going to disappoint in a media related field, but as to if production pipeline, it's honestly up in the air, with all gimping left and right from nVidia and Autodesk, as Cow said, you it might not live up to the legend.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm cheers for the info! Its worth considering. I also found a Nvidia Quadro 4000 on Ebay for only £300, but still, its only DX10, and 2 years old, so a 660/670 is going to be better I suspect anyway.. I might just hold on, see if the 670 prices come down a bit more and try one of those..
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I just got a Geforce 660ti today (evga superclocked variant), and ran a few tests. With Max 2012 I got about 50fps with 5mil untexture tris on screen at once; Not bad but not amazing either. And with Maya 2012 I got between 10-35fps with 1mil untexture tris on screen at once (bounces around a lot). Maya doesn't seem to like this card much.

So if you're a Max user you'll probably be ok, but if you're a Maya user its probably best to go with a different series of cards.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Is everyone who is having issues using OpenGL in their viewports? AFAIK, that should be the only thing that is affected by the slowdowns. My old 8800gtx was way faster than my old 460 in Blender, but in DX applications the 460 was always much faster.
    Hopefully using DX will help.
  • nekked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm running a gigabyte 670, its worked great in maya 2013, mud 2013, zbrush 4r3 and topogun latest. I haven't done much in maya except for rendering though, so i cant say i've given it a thorough test there. a 3m poly head runs at about 20fps in default viewport shaded, and runs 60-130fps in viewport 2.0 default. Turning on ssao and 4x msaa and its still over 60fps. 24m poly model runs at about .8 fps default viewport, 30-50 fps in viewport 2.0, and 15 fps with ssao and msaa enabled. Monitor res is 1920x1200
  • Scruples
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had the incorrect FPS values in the viewport since I started using Max. I think it's a bug that's always been there. I'm guessing it's counting the time between starting drawing and ending rather than the time from starting the previous frame to starting this one, thus ignoring the time the driver spends actually doing the work.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question: are those merged into the same object or are they separate objects?

I'm frankly amazed if you got that many polygons into a single batch without hitting big problems.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    So suffice to say that upgrading to a Geforce GTX 670 is not worth the upgrade then from a GTX 460.
  • bakednormals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I've been wondering about this myself, but I've been looking into getting a new card. Currently running an old GTX 285 1GB. X58 motherboard, 9 gigs of DDR3, Win7 64 bit. Would you guys upgrade? The GTX has been stable as fuck, no real hurdles in almost 3 years of pleasant modeling/sculpting/texturing. Maya/Max are all rock solid, but MARI is sooooooooo sloooowwwww, and that's the program I've been trying to get into. If the 400/500/600 series are all "crippled", I should just be happy with the 285 right?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Mari is a totally different beast of a program that relies on rigid and certain kind of hardware to work in mint conditions, so you might want to take a look at their forums and such since it's known not to work on everything and anything.

Also, not many people use Mari as one might think, for example, the Predator from the latest Predator movie a few years ago was actually all done in ZB, even the texturing, so again, ask yourself if it's really necessary to learn Mari, especially for the game industry, where 4K maps are still a holy grail on PC's from time to time, and last I checked, Mudbox allowed you to do that in a much traditional way vs. shader painting.
  • bakednormals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna: I saw your post, and am glad that you achieved the desired results you were looking for. By "crippled", I might have used that term a little too loosely; I think one of the posts on the first page used the term that the cards were "crippled" and I used that as a blanket term for the various problems people have had with the 400/500/600 series. I was just wondering if I would encounter any issues if I upgraded my card or if I should play it safe and stick with my reliable GTX 285.

@ace: You're right. I don't think I would actually use MARI in a production setting, Mudbox does the job just great. But I just wanted to dick around with it and see what all the hooplah is about. But your post did encourage me to stick with the 285 until the Nvidia kepler cards are supported by autodesk. Maybe I was looking for a justifiable reason to upgrade.
  • bakednormals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    In theory you should benefit significantly from an upgrade. Any reports of problems with the 600 series of cards may be exaggerated or valid, I can't say anything except I have experienced no issues.

Hmmm......might have to rethink about upgrading again. I'll just wait a little bit longer and see if there are anymore success stories with these cards. No rush, you know? And thanks for the response; the quoted part is what kind of answer I was looking for.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I have a q9450 processor and a 9800gt w/ 1 gig vram and I've been really itching to get my hands dirty with dx11 features, but threads like this depress me and make me feel like I'm better off waiting and building a whole in computer in a few years once new consoles are out.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I got ahead of myself, viewed the first few posts, and read about people having issues with new version on Maya, and performance issues with million polygon meshes.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sweet, I now know what I'm buying myself for my birthday.
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Also, not many people use Mari as one might think, for example, the Predator from the latest Predator movie a few years ago was actually all done in ZB, even the texturing, so again, ask yourself if it's really necessary to learn Mari, especially for the game industry, where 4K maps are still a holy grail on PC's from time to time, and last I checked, Mudbox allowed you to do that in a much traditional way vs. shader painting.

Hi,

I'd just thought I'd chip in to say that Mari is in heavy use at every major US, London and Australian VFX / CG facility. It is also the texturing system that LucasArts are using on Level1313. LucasArts have a really nice workflow in which they use their in-game shaders in Mari so they have 100% WYSIWYG between Mari and in-game.

Regarding the Predators movie. I assume you're talking about this film. If so, it would be a little difficult for Mari to be used on it as it was released in the cinema 10 days before Mari 1.0 came out. At least one of the lead companies that did the work on this film now use Mari. I can't remember about the other one off the top of my head.

In general though,Mari runs best on Fermi class and above hardware. A $180 GTX480 will run Mari very well. The 600 class hardware runs Mari perfectly. a 680 actually seems to be better than a $3k Quadro 6000

Although it is Film CG related, this video might be of interest. It shows some hard surface painting in Mari for Battleship by Justin Holt of ImageEngine.

Jack Greasley
    Mari Product Manager.
  • Mr Whippy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    perna wrote: »
    OK, sorted out my issues, they were hardware related.

It'd be good to hear what you did as a workflow to assure everything was set optimally from start to finish in BIOS/windows/3d drivers/Max to assure good performance.

I'm not sure what/why but video performance in Max seems to have gone a bit crappy over the last five years since they moved to D3D from OGL/GLide stuff.

Quadro stuff doesn't seem any better than game cards in my experience either... I got all the latest proper drivers with Max support for my exact workstation and all manner of stuff and my older home 8800GTX was faster than my £750 workstation Quadro in Max 2010 hehe.

Dave
  • 3dmax6283
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy wrote: »
    It'd be good to hear what you did as a workflow to assure everything was set optimally from start to finish in BIOS/windows/3d drivers/Max to assure good performance.

I'm not sure what/why but video performance in Max seems to have gone a bit crappy over the last five years since they moved to D3D from OGL/GLide stuff.

Quadro stuff doesn't seem any better than game cards in my experience either... I got all the latest proper drivers with Max support for my exact workstation and all manner of stuff and my older home 8800GTX was faster than my £750 workstation Quadro in Max 2010 hehe.

Dave

I have bought a new pc (please find the spec in my signature), but I still have problems in 3dmax 2012 rendering. I might chose wrong graphic card or there are some specific max drivers as you have mentioned and I have not installed them.
    Thank you guys if you help me to find if there is anything special about installing the graphic card or I have to change my graphic card as I want to work specially with 3Dmax.
    Here is my graphic card link http://my.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX660DC2O2GD5/#overview
  • 3dmax6283
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    I just got a Geforce 660ti today (evga superclocked variant), and ran a few tests. With Max 2012 I got about 50fps with 5mil untexture tris on screen at once; Not bad but not amazing either. And with Maya 2012 I got between 10-35fps with 1mil untexture tris on screen at once (bounces around a lot). Maya doesn't seem to like this card much.

So if you're a Max user you'll probably be ok, but if you're a Maya user its probably best to go with a different series of cards.

I Just got a new pc with gtx 660 (not the ti version), but the result in max2012 is not acceptable, rendering is too slow!
    Do you know if there is any kind of special setting or driver for Max2012 for this kind of card?
    Thank you
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    3dmax6283 wrote: »
    I Just got a new pc with gtx 660 (not the ti version), but the result in max2012 is not acceptable, rendering is too slow!
    Do you know if there is any kind of special setting or driver for Max2012 for this kind of card?
    Thank you
    Make sure you are using DirectX and not OpenGL for the viewport.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    also bear in mind that 3dsmax past 09 have been generally perceived to be getting worse and worse in terms of viewport stability and speed.

edit: lolnecro post by accident.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys I want your opinion on one card that I have been eyeing for a while now. What do you guys think of the GTX 680 for programs like Autodesk Maya, 3DS Max, and Mudbox? I believe the GTX 680 has 4 gigs of virtual RAM.

Now I have heard stories that the GTX 680 will dip in performance when pushed to the limits because of its low power consumption, compared to the GTX 580 which consumes a lot of power for performance. I've also read a story where one guy overclocked his CPU that made Max and Maya crash a lot. Many people think (from what I read on online forums) is that it's not worth upgrading to the GTX 680 since it won't give you the best performance out of your graphics card and sometimes will give issues in terms of stability. I think oglu mentioned to someone that you wait for the GTX 685 but I wasn't sure or totally forgot what the reason for waiting.

What do you guys think? Is it worth upgrading to the GTX 680 or should I wait for the GTX 685? The Quadro card (it only has 1 gig of virtual memory) that I have right now is over 3 years old now and I want to upgrade to a card where I can get good performance out of Autodesk Maya, 3DS Max, and Mudbox.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You could always go for a Geforce Titan if you want the absolute best single-card performance.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    You could always go for a Geforce Titan if you want the absolute best single-card performance.

I looked up Geforce Titan online and found that it just came out and has 6 gigs of virtual memory. I also found out that it's price is close to $1000!!! That's almost as expensive as a Quadro but you're probably getting the performance that you could ever need in a machine and then some. I don't think I can drop that much cash on just the video card alone.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    btw it's not called virtual memory, it used to be called video memory. Although even that is actually not correct anymore, as vram really meant special kind of memory in the early days of graphics hardware, not the kind of general RAM that is put on the cards today.

just using power as performance indicator is not a good idea for hardware, since architecture is changed and typically every couple years the process how chips are made is changed so things become smaller. Essentially using the same chip design but fabricated smaller, gives you less power at same performance. Now combine shrinking with architecture improvements, and you can see how typically the new chips easily beat the old chips. GeForce 6xx generation is called Kepler and really well tuned for graphics work, much much more texture fillrate compared to Fermi (GeForce 4xx/5xx). In Quadro land the Quadros with "K" in their name are Kepler based.

What kind of card makes sense for your daily use, totally depends on the kind of workloads.

(disclaimer: I work for NVIDIA but speak for myself)
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Can anybody report on the performance the card gets in Maya? Preferably 2011
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i currently use gtx 460 2gb but i tested gtx660 and gtx670 on Maya 2012 and Mudbox 20011/2013 a while ago. os was win7 64bit with all latest SPs and drivers updated.

comparing to my current gtx460

pro:

maya viewport 2.0 is significantly faster with lot of highpoly objects in viewport
    mudbox viewport was also quite fast. on average a boost of 20-30 fps in maya viewport 2.

cons:

viewport 2.0 became buggy with component selection so the speed boost is useless. regular viewport was slower compared to gtx460. there is a bug with geforce 6xx and maya viewport with if you have UV borders highlighted they will create lot of viewport artifacts with random edge lines showing between UV borders. this is visible when wireframe is enabled.

mudbox realtime shadows doesnt work with gtx 6xx cards and is a known bug as far as i know.

oh and i am selling a gtx660 if anyone is interested. 50% discount, used for a week or less, almost new and all packaging items included.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    btw it's not called virtual memory, it used to be called video memory. Although even that is actually not correct anymore, as vram really meant special kind of memory in the early days of graphics hardware, not the kind of general RAM that is put on the cards today.

Yeah thanks for correcting me CrazyButcher. By "virtual memory" I mean the amount of RAM in the video card :poly121:.
    MM wrote: »
    i currently use gtx 460 2gb but i tested gtx660 and gtx670 on Maya 2012 and Mudbox 20011/2013 a while ago. os was win7 64bit with all latest SPs and drivers updated.

comparing to my current gtx460

pro:

maya viewport 2.0 is significantly faster with lot of highpoly objects in viewport
    mudbox viewport was also quite fast. on average a boost of 20-30 fps in maya viewport 2.

cons:

viewport 2.0 is became buggy with component selection so the speed boost is useless. regular viewport was slower compared to gtx460. there is a bug with geforce 6xx and maya viewport with if you have UV borders highlighted they will create lot of viewport artifacts with random edge lines showing between UV borders. this is visible when wireframe is enabled.

mudbox realtime shadows doesnt work with gtx 6xx cards and is a known bug as far as i know.

oh and i am selling a gtx660 if anyone is interested. 50% discount, used for a week or less, almost new and all packaging items included.

So it safe to say that having a GTX 680 performance will increase and hopefully some of the cons that you mentioned based off of the cards you tested will not appear? Also what do you mean by "mudbox realtime shadows doesnt work with gtx 6xx cards and is a known bug as far as i know"?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Inhert wrote: »
    So it safe to say that having a GTX 680 performance will increase and hopefully some of the cons that you mentioned based off of the cards you tested will not appear? Also what do you mean by "mudbox realtime shadows doesnt work with gtx 6xx cards and is a known bug as far as i know"?

no it is not safe to say that. lot of people have posted exact same issues with 6xx cards.

as for mudbox, not sure how else i can clarify it but basically with a 6xx card you wont see any realtime shadows when you enable shadows of a light in mudbox.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    MM wrote: »
    no it is not safe to say that. lot of people have posted exact same issues with 6xx cards.

as for mudbox, not sure how else i can clarify it but basically with a 6xx card you wont see any realtime shadows when you enable shadows of a light in mudbox.

Thanks for your input. How is it that the older cards work fine but the newer 600 series cards have issues? Is Nvidia just gimping the 600 series so professionals will buy the more expensive Quadro cards. Is there no hack to fix these cons?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Inhert wrote: »
    Thanks for your input. How is it that the older cards work fine but the newer 600 series cards have issues? Is Nvidia just gimping the 600 series so professionals will buy the more expensive Quadro cards. Is there no hack to fix these cons?

note sure, may be Nvidia has an inside deal with autodesk to force professional users to buy more expensive cards because they can afford it, who knows...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=16820654

basically all Kepler cards are not recommended for Maya.

lower end quadros are also quite slow in terms of raw compute power, but more stable and bug free.

so the best solution out there is a top of the line $4000 pro card or a cheaper older gaming card.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    What about the AMD Radeon HD 7970M as an alternative to the GTX 600 series? I hear that the AMD Radeon HD 7000 series has good performance but is also a hit or miss from some of the people who claim it works just as well as Nvidia but cheaper. I do know most graphics intensive application recommend Nvidia and not AMD. What's up with that? I think I read a thread somewhere on the Area forum that Craig Barr uses an AMD Radeon for Maya and Mudbox. I could be wrong.
  • gaganjain
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the GTX 660 ti. Same amount of cores just it has one less bus or some thing. 194 bit as as opposed to 256 bit. any test you want to run on it?
  • xstlyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any updated opinion?
    Is geforce kepler still slower than gts 250 with default maya viewport?
    I need to upgrade to either radeon R270 or geforce 760, need advice.
    My previous radeon 5750 have selection lag with maya, but I'm wondering whether the newer gcn radeons have improvement.
    With ps4/xb1 using amd gpus, surely gcn radeons should be developer/artist's primary choice right?