Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dodge challenger unity3D

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Hey this is the first time Ive ever made a car so Im learning a lot here. Ive still got some work to do on the environment - proper lighting cones from lamps, garage floor with parkings and wear and tear and props like doors etc. I only have unity free so theres no bloom or realtime shadows or screenbased effects of any kind. This is kind of aimed at high level mobile devices so Im trying to keep things as simple as possible but as beautiful as possible too. The scene is around 12000 tris including every thing but I still need to work on optimisation at the end.

links removed due to bandwidth overload :( sorry

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good man, not much to crit, maaybe that tapered hood shape is a bit too high than the one in the original design but anyway.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    respawnrt wrote: »
    Looks good man, not much to crit, maaybe that tapered hood shape is a bit too high than the one in the original design but anyway.

yeah I forgot to mention I tried to exaggerate the main features a bit seeing as it might be seen on a mobile and the screen is so small, I also didnt mention that some of the textures on the car are photo sourced and only have a little bit of editing by me. Not sure what the protocol is on that sort of thing cause I would take my own photos if I had access to the real car but I dont so google is my friend on this one unfortunately.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Well Im nearly done with this now what do you think?

I added props and faked some vignette and bloom and added general polish.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    cool
    floor seams a bit dull...maybe some dirt/tyre/oil decals or changes in concrete type might spruce it up
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    cool
    floor seams a bit dull...maybe some dirt/tyre/oil decals or changes in concrete type might spruce it up

good idea, might be able to add some of that in the lightmap as the floor is a tiling texture or make some alpha decals but I know mobiles dont like large alpha filling up the screen.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    The car's diffuse needs a bit more detail... other than that it's looking good! I think you could make the lighting around the edges of the room darker to give it a grimier feel and to pull focus to the car.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive updated the unity webplayer with this latest version which has a detailed floor and reflections on the car windows.
    dodgechallenger_wip4.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Sorry forgot to mention, fearian I did darken the edges and I dont actually have any diffuse map applied to the car, I dont have a shader for it yet but I want to add some cool tuner car decals.
  • Demogorgoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demogorgoth polycounter lvl 6
    Couldn't resist....... :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvVK6NEH5oM"]@JDiamondzz - "Chargers and Challengers" Preview - YouTube[/ame]
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great! Are you making a racing game? Or just practicing unity rendering?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey Alismuffin Im just making a portfolio piece and I was chatting to my workmates recently and they wanted to know how difficult it would be and how much time it would take to make a top quality mobile racing car so I did some research and made one.

• Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Cool! I want to make something similar to this in Unity. I prefer the levels and contrast in the post process version. But the reflections seem to strong in the post processing version, so tone them down and it's good.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good feedback! ok so the reflections on the car and on the floor? or just the car? Im gonna put both down a little and see what I think.

..AAaargh...unity seems to have lost the ability to export my scene with anistropic texture fitering and antialiasing :/ I cant find any reason for this bug
  • zeezee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zeezee polycounter lvl 8
    How do you make those headlight flares in unity? They look more than just billboards.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah reflections turned down all round, especially the concrete floor. But I would say you could keep the heavy reflections on the windows...
  • Architaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Architaylor polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, I'm always amazed at what mobile devices can handle nowadays :O How are the reflections done? I was under the impression mobile devices couldn't handle specular reflections very well? Great job on the car, I agree with the reflections needing some slight toning down. I'd love to see some breakdowns in terms of the texture sheets/wireframes!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Wheels are too small, and the curvature towards the bottom of the car is off: there's a slight curve inwards instead of just straight dropping down.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Wheels are too small, and the curvature towards the bottom of the car is off: there's a slight curve inwards instead of just straight dropping down.

Xoluil: thanks, interesting to hear what people think, I made the wheels slightly bigger than in my reference but maybe its just not quite big enough still. Good tip about the slight curve, wouldn't have been able to notice that on the blueprints. unfortunately unity is being a pain in the ass and wont export with my camera settings and I have no idea why because its fine in the editor game view so I might have to leave this build as it is :/

Architaylor: mobiles arent particularly good at this stuff but the latest generation like ipad 2 onwards and iphone 4s onwards can cope with 1 or 2 fancy shaders being used but you have to keep it limited both in terms of shader complexity and the amount of shaders you use in one scene. The lens flares by the lights are just standard unity lens flares, nothing fancy.

the scene has 8 textures:
    1. garage environment(1024x1024)
    2. garage door(256x256 wish I couldve fitted it in the environment texture :P)
    3. car details(1024x512 lights grills etc)
    4. car wheels(512x512 so that I can use these wheels on other cars)
    5. garage floor 1024x1024
    6. garage cieling 256x256
    7. drop shadow and light glow effect texture
    8. custom made cubemap of the scene for reflections.

its about 12000 triangles in total, 80% of which is the car.