Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sci-fi gun need C&C and help!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
GuangArt polycounter lvl 6
Hi,
Im very new to gaming mesh workflow. I just did my first map baking out of a gun.
heres the high res low res and wire and normalmap together with the concept.

there are a lot of messed up parts which i tried to fix by painting on the normal map. also i wonder how i should approach the texturing part. Can any1 suggest me a good workflow for texturing this model? thanks a lot!!
7748903318_2f9ff702c9_z.jpg
7748903892_458471a02a_c.jpg

7748903654_aa0264c29d_c.jpg
7748903490_d7cc3359cc_c.jpg
7748903768_d2e73a5af9_z.jpg

Replies

• danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    For me at least, the process I use to texture depends on the complexity of the object. Most of the time it ends up being in Zbrush, but sometimes for basic geometry/UVs I put it straight into Photoshop.

For this, I'd probably switch between the two. I'd start off with a basic texture in Zbrush (defining edges and such), then into photoshop for more definition (hard corners/straight lines etc..), back into zbrush for final tweaking and finally in photoshop for final touch-ups.

But then again, everyone has their own way. I suggest keep researching some ways and find what suits you best. Hope this helped!
  • GuangArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GuangArt polycounter lvl 6
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    For me at least, the process I use to texture depends on the complexity of the object. Most of the time it ends up being in Zbrush, but sometimes for basic geometry/UVs I put it straight into Photoshop.

For this, I'd probably switch between the two. I'd start off with a basic texture in Zbrush (defining edges and such), then into photoshop for more definition (hard corners/straight lines etc..), back into zbrush for final tweaking and finally in photoshop for final touch-ups.

But then again, everyone has their own way. I suggest keep researching some ways and find what suits you best. Hope this helped!

When u do the texturing in zbrush do you mean use polypaint in zbrush?, so should i paint on the high res mesh and project on the diffuse of low res , or do i paint on low res? (i assume i need to use unsmooth on the lowres since its unbeveled on the geo.) if i paint on low res , is there any good way i can get a guide of the position of the details??

thanks!
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Woops! Yeah I meant polypaint (sometimes projection).
    If you've got the normals/UV's set up then you shouldn't have to bake the diffuse and you wouldn't need to make a high poly. Polypaint has good detail on all res models.

So (in your case) you import the low res, paint it, then generate the texture from polypaint and the UV's go with it. Then you export/import that texture and play with it.
    is there any good way i can get a guide of the position of the details??
    Sorry, can you explain that a bit more?
    If you mean from the normal map, then all you need to do is import the normal map into Zbrush and set it to the model.