Home General Discussion

Steam Expands Beyond Games

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
http://store.steampowered.com/news/8584/
Launch Set of "Software" Titles Coming Sept 5

Aug 8, 2012 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the first set of Software titles are heading to Steam, marking a major expansion to the platform most commonly known as a leading destination for PC and Mac games.

The Software titles coming to Steam range from creativity to productivity. Many of the launch titles will take advantage of popular Steamworks features, such as easy installation, automatic updating, and the ability to save your work to your personal Steam Cloud space so your files may travel with you.

More Software titles will be added in an ongoing fashion following the September 5th launch, and developers will be welcome to submit Software titles via Steam Greenlight.

"The 40 million gamers frequenting Steam are interested in more than playing games," said Mark Richardson at Valve. "They have told us they would like to have more of their software on Steam, so this expansion is in response to those customer requests."

I'm interested in seeing what software they will launch with.

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Oooh, I'm excited. Whatever they release, I'm sure it'll be wonderful.
    If it is something I could use in my day-to-day life, anyway.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This will be interesting, I wonder how professionally oriented it will be.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Sounds good. Apple is doing this now too with their app-store on OSX. This is interesting too cause they say they'll sell software for macs as well, so that means they're directly competing with Apple on that.

Now they just need to add music and books, and they could compete with the pirate bay.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    prolly more oriented to the average person than pros, kinda like apps you would find on the android app store etc.

there seeing online apps stores for OS X, and windows 8 will also have it;s own, so they want to compete.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-26-gabe-newell-calls-windows-8-a-catastrophe

"Elsewhere in the report, Newell suggests Adobe adopt a free-to-play model for Photoshop. "They say, 'We have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds really bad.' And, then we say, 'No, no, no. We think you are going to increase the value being created to your users, and you will create a market for their goods on a worldwide basis.' But that takes a longer sell."

It would be cool to have access to something like Photoshop wherever you are. I'm sure anybody who has freelanced in the past has been caught out whilst travelling and has been unable to access a program like Photoshop to make the changes that the client wants.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    This makes me very uneasy. I hope Steam doesn't turn into a version of the App Store (e.g. over bloated and not difficult to get on). I'm sure they will go about this the right way, but I worry about Steam's future.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I love the cloud and having every game available in one place, I could see that being awesome for applications as well.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imagine if all your apps were on Steam. Reinstalling your machine from scratch would be a breeze ... hell, it would even save your settings and preferences in the cloud.

Install Windows, install Steam, wait a few hours for the downloads to be done ... get back to work. :)

WANT.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    summer sale autodesk products 75% off you say? i'm in!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autodesk has been making noises about moving into the cloud for a few years now, I wonder if they are actually teaming up with Valve, that would rock so incredibly hard.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Considering how they have just the other week set up a subsidiary in the tax-evasion-topia known as Luxembourg, changed the EULA to try and prohibit class-action lawsuits, which are a consumer's right, and still don't allow you to resell their products, which, as a EU consumer, I have a right to as well, I don't really trust Valve with another penny of my money; let alone that I would ever trust them with the tools by which I'd earn my livelihood if I were a professional artist.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Neox wrote: »
    summer sale autodesk products 75% off you say? i'm in!

^this

photoshop steam sale: $4.99!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe, but first of all, Valve is a game company, not a Lawyer machine, so they cannot simply up and create and their own rules, while rules like 'Don't sue us based upon X, Y, Z cases' are in the text book, hence what they're riding on.

Also, it's been repeated over several times that Valves cases of "Don't sue us" rule is based upon petty sue requests, such as trying to return COD about a month later and not getting a refund and shouting foul at them, or some random comapny from Texas claiming they developed Steam Tech 10 years before Valve and have the patent, anything else on valid grounds with open arguments can still be a process in the system. It's a little complex then what you're summarized it as, but then again, not everyone is a lawyer on the internet.

Valve doesn't allow you resell digital products because even they don't know how to deal with mass purger, a while ago with a guy in the US used to make runs where you gave him money and he would buy you games as gifts, great way for people in the UK to void the extra taxes, but Valve had to shut him down because it was illegal in terms of law in said countries, and last thing you need is people and Dev's from Local Taxes jumping on your service.

However, Valve does allow you to return a game for Steam credit within a week, I couple of my friends where able to return COD-BLOP's, another one was able to return Portal, but another one who had played with Portal for a while and got some time in it, and even completed it couldn't because he already has experience a chunk of the game.

All in all, I'm not going to rely on Steam for my programs, because they're already messy as they are (even UDK doesn't work properly in the Steam list in the latest version let alone Max with it's License Listener Manager) but everything else you mentioned is alot more complicated then 'I have rights to this, so Valve not allowing it is unfair', especially in the digital medium where resource is infinite and the ability to ravage the money still existent.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I was kind of hoping they were going into plush fluffy characters of our favorite titles....

I mean who wouldn't want to sleep with a cuddly Heavy Weapons guy?

...:P
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    *opens up steam to launch Autodesk 3d Studio Max*

*notices Team Fortress 2*

*productivity ceases*
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    *opens up steam to launch Photoshop*

*ERROR: Steam must be connected to the internet to run*

*click 'offline mode'*

*ERROR: Steam could not connect to the internet*

fuuuuUUUUUUU

But seriously, I've never gotten offline to work.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Any chance for seeing Deluxe Paint making a return on Origin?
  • rb2610
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems to me that most of people's complaints regarding Steam's offline mode stem from them not realising that (correct me if I'm wrong, but) in order for you to go into offline mode you have to be online first to restart into offline mode. Which iirc is some kind of security feature to ensure that you login online first so it can make sure you're account is valid or something. (Then after that you can start offline whenever you start Steam until you go online again).
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm the only one that does not use only steam?

I have Origin... i have Uplay... i have Desura... i have a Rockstar club... puff. All big companies have their platforms (with their games on their platforms and in third platforms), and for example, i don't care a shit if a retail game like Max Payne 3 is not on steam.

Dunno, but with their source film editor they may have felt cocky with all this whole thing of "apps". I don't think i will ever see adobe photoshop cs6 extended on steam lol.

If they add free apps like the ones i find in download.com from cnet's, it will be welcome but i prefer steam as a gamer platform mainly. I must say it would be cool to have updated ccleaner, 7zip, notepad+, CCCP codecs, etc., but that's not a big deal really hehe.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    cryrid wrote: »
    Any chance for seeing Deluxe Paint making a return on Origin?

REPRESENT!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Yay, achievements for ZBrush!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Yay, achievements for ZBrush!
    Heh, I could actually see using achievements as a way to learn about an application, see locked achievements, learn about new features!
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, but my time logged using Max would probably make me cry.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Blaizer wrote: »
    If they add free apps like the ones i find in download.com from cnet's, it will be welcome but i prefer steam as a gamer platform mainly. I must say it would be cool to have updated ccleaner, 7zip, notepad+, CCCP codecs, etc., but that's not a big deal really hehe.

Then you forget to go to offline and your PC becomes worthless on that 11 hour plane trip from Asia ;)

I think it's damn cool what Valve are doing here - I definitely like Steam more than Apple's app store, but for regular software they have to change the behavior of the Steam client and DRM a bit to make it a viable contender.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Then you forget to go to offline and your PC becomes worthless on that 11 hour plane trip from Asia ;)

I think it's damn cool what Valve are doing here - I definitely like Steam more than Apple's app store, but for regular software they have to change the behavior of the Steam client and DRM a bit to make it a viable contender.

Yeah, they should do something with their annoying DRM, it's a nonsense, that's the point i dislike the most from steam :(. With origin it's not the case and ubisoft, no longer ask you to stay connected in order to play, at least with the games i have from them.

Steam should be for gaming and that's all.

I don't want to be pointed as a freak for using modo or max 6000+ hours. lol

Nor flagged as an artist or a developer... in steam i just want to be a GAMER.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I don't want to be pointed as a freak for using modo or max 6000+ hours. lol

nah, put it on your resume ;)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    TeeJay: that's Deluxe Paint! Published by Electronic Arts. I still have the manual for nostalgia reasons.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Steam will always be kind enough to let me go into offline mode when it notices I don't have a connection anymore :o
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    eld wrote: »
    Steam will always be kind enough to let me go into offline mode when it notices I don't have a connection anymore :o

indeed! guess I haven't used offline mode in quite a while. Full Steam ahead then!