Home General Discussion

Dead Light

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Anybody here been playing...?

Aside from some odd glitches and laggy control, this games fantastic. Bit on the short side it seems, been playing well under two hours and nearly done sadly :( But I love the art style.

More to the point, has anybody here worked on it, and if so care to share some media? :D I'm really interested in the post-apoc art seen there.

Replies

• Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I played through this and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a great mix of Flashback-style run and jumpery with a bunch of zombies thrown in for good measure. The side-on viewpoint, particularly when the camera zoomed right out, made for some epic scenes. I thought the graphic novel cutscenes were well done too.

I wasn't too keen on the underground Rat section, but everything else was great. Kudos to those involved! Here's hoping you make a (longer) sequel!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    oooh.. i am excited to play it.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Sadly the ending is just a tiny fraction above Rages... It just sort of... Ends :(

Oh well, now time to 100%.

EDIT: 100%ed, all achievements unlocked... Thats one of the shortest 1600 points I've ever spent...
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    So sad to hear after all the hype. I want to play it, but guess it can wait.

~t
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, its a fantastic game, VERY nice. Theres a few control issues, feels a bit laggy oddly... And it has a few bugs. But its sadly not worth 1600 points. Compare it to Shadow Complex, and its a not brainer, SC is far better value.

But some of the visuals are really sexy. But 100%ing it was... A joke. The "hidden" collectables were about as hidden as my boxer shorts when I visit the loo. I didn't even have chance to reach for a guide to find really hard stuff, because on my first play through I was only missing about 2... Which is a huge let down for a platformer.

Then agian, Limbo was the same. Fart and you'll miss it length :( Amazing visuals, but piss easy collectables. But in Limbo, they had it a bit backward... There were a dozen or so collectable eggs, each giving an achievement. But then, a dozen or so EXTRA hidden eggs which I would NEVER find without help... Those should have been the special ones... Guess I'll load Limbo back up later and beat it with less than five deaths :D
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i still dont get why they made a remake of a game noone missed.
    all prince of persia is remebered for is its animations, and sadly this game will only be rembered for its visuals too.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say this game is closer to Flashback or Another World, and Flashback in particular is a game that has stood the test of time. I do agree that the run time is very short for a $15 game, but I'm still glad I bought it because I enjoyed the couple of hours of its duration more than most things I've played this year and I think it's important to support smaller gamedevs such as Tequila Works.

I'd love to see a larger sequel with more ambitious level design (some multi-pathed 'dungeon' type levels would be great) and perhaps co-op play. I feel they've laid the groundwork with this game and that a sequel could expand the concept and deliver a really great experience.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, was a bit let down with the "upgrades". It was billed as a Metroidvania style game, but it really wasn't. Its a right to left, straight up easy platformer. Even the upgrades were right in front of you for health/stanima, and there were only about 4...

It defo seems like the groundwork for something bigger, and I hope to see more of the universe. A more diversive, open ended, open world style game would fit this perfectly, with areas you can't get to until they have been unlocked or you have the rigth gear.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Shadow Complex!
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium: Yeah some kind of 'Metroidvania' level structure would be great! I thought the hospital section, even though it was still very simple, had a bit of this going on. Something like that extrapolated into much larger levels would work really well, especially with more pick-ups and upgrades.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I DL`ed the demo last night will get into it later. Looks fun from what I played.
  • Abelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abelo polycounter lvl 10
    Hi. My name's Abel Oroz and I'm an artist here at TequilaWorks.

I find a bit unfair to consider Deadlight a remake of Prince of Persia, and I have to add that the comparisons to Shadow Complex have been rather unwanted and, in fact, a bit damaging since the game plays nothing like it, and it was never a reference. Neither was Limbo directly, although at some point the team had to accept the similarities. Deadlight's atmosphere is a very important element of the game.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's cool that you try to explain the reasoning behind the game. But i guess people are free to express their opinions on the game. Whether you guys listen to the feedback or not, listening to what people have to say might make your game a lot more appealing.

Shadow Complex to me sets the bar of this kind of games from now on. At least for what i expect to get for the price. Deadlight sets the mood and atmosphere just right. The game looks gorgeous but its a bit short and lacking on the upgrades or what not. They are just comments. Limbo had no upgrades and it was a different experience. So take what is said with a grain of salt and celebrate that your game is out there and being discussed.
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Abelo wrote: »
    Hi. My name's Abel Oroz and I'm an artist here at TequilaWorks.

I find a bit unfair to consider Deadlight a remake of Prince of Persia, and I have to add that the comparisons to Shadow Complex have been rather unwanted and, in fact, a bit damaging since the game plays nothing like it, and it was never a reference. Neither was Limbo directly, although at some point the team had to accept the similarities. Deadlight's atmosphere is a very important element of the game.

One of the worst things you can do as a game developer is spend time getting involved in discussions and defending the game - everyone has their opinions and defending it only lowers the reputation of the studio.
    Anyhooow I only watched somebody play it - obviously looks fantastic but seemed it was as fun watching it as playing it.
  • Abelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abelo polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, of course. I have nothing against everybody expressing their views, I'll always defend that right. That doesn't change the fact that some comparisons only work on the surface, but of course, there's absolutely no one denying the criticism. Please don't take the comment as some kind of complaint. We are our own worst critics, and we love listening to everybody's concerns about the game ;)
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Didn't played it but it looks really good!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    This game was fantastic.

A little short for 1200 ($15) points, but it was enjoyable to run around Seattle.

My favorite scene: You are in the forest learning to shoot your pistol in a flashback, and the text at the bottom of the screen reads "Three years ago, 93 miles North of Seattle." And in the background you can see the space needle, as if you're just up the road in Fremont.

Anyhow, great little game. It was a bit glitchy in places, but it's real fun to see all of the great tests coming out of UDK these days.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I just got it on steam, I like it so far

, always keep reminds me that serious/mood/story based game is not related to game complexity
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Love the game at the opening chapters, but then it goes on a steady decline after that. And don't get me started on that awful chopper chase level, with the ridiculous rubber-banding ai on the chopper. First time I've flung the controller in frustration on how bad that level has been designed. Also suffers from not conveying enough information to the player in a lot of parts.

Apart from that I love the setting and like I said above the early chapters are great and wish the rest of the game would have carried on like that. More survival and avoiding combat with the zombies rather than the action pieces that don't work well and breaking the atmosphere.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea... and there is something about the animations that are just stiff... the controls are not as responsive as i would've liked them to be. I am sure they'll polish that up if they make another game.