Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Desert Fort

Hey there

So this is my project for the rest of the summer to hopefully improve on my environment modeling and texture skills.

So the general idea is a Desert Fort/Courtyard entrance into a much larger city. Long abandoned by this point, Uncharted 3 Desert town type thing, with sand dunes pouring over the walls, though the gates etc. Got a plan and some block out shots below.

Keep putting of putting stuff up for feedback so though I would just get it out early which will make it easy for me to update often.

Layout%20%2B%20Ref.jpg

DesertFort%20August%204%202012%20(1).JPG

DesertFort%20August%204%202012%20(2).JPG

Cheers!

Replies

• Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    Cool idea, Not too much to critique right now but what I would suggest is break down the scene into reusable assets that way you have you save time later on. I can't tell if you built this stuff using BSP brushes or not but if you did I would suggest making them outside of UDK in the modeling program of your choice. BSP brushes are fairly limited in what you can create.
    Also make sure your scene doesn't feel 'empty'. You could spend all this time making this huge area but if it feels empty in the end it will hurt it.
    Right now it also looks like your stables are pretty tall. I would consider breaking the scene down into smaller parts and working on sections as to not get overwhelmed with the size of the whole thing.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the advice Anthy. Yeah i defiantly think i might have some scale issues still, could bring things in a bit perhaps. Yea walls are BSP at the moment but defiantly will be making them out of moduler assets.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So been trying out some different ideas and techniques for making all the modular assets but, I kind of want to get some feedback on this Wall texture I hand painted. Pretty much the first thing I have ever hand pained but I plan to use it for the main wall. Keep in mind it only tiles side to side got a different texture for the wall section above it.

Cheers

Wall_August%2018%202012.jpg

Wall_Diffuse_August%2018%202012.jpg

Wall_Normal_August%2018%202012.jpg

Wall_Spec_August%2018%202012.jpg
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Make the upper part of the texture black instead of sandstone(?), that way you can tile it however you want, if you would need to. Even if you don't plan to tile it vertical remove it, cause it looks bad.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Isn't brick supposed to be made in equal size?