Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] - HULK/HELLBOY/WOLVERINE

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
RogerP polycounter
Started working on a new model, a mash up between these characters

Here is the start on the body. C&C welcome :)

LATEST!!!
83882405.jpg

63315754.jpg

Replies

• Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    That could be interseting ^^. I suggest you olny put one claws and add the massive hand of Hellboy.

The face could look more tough and badass too.

And dat green really sucks imo XD. It's not the Hulk green at all.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Thanks for the suggestions Texelion :) yeah is still a long way to go and yeah that green is just something really quick I threw in there
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    bit of progress

88331929.jpg
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hell boy is pretty heavy anyway so im not seeing the hulks look in the sculpt, looks like hellboy + claws at the mo
    exaggerateing the muscles and shrinking the head should help
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    smaller head, broader shoulders, stockyer bodytype if you want to sell the hulk idea.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    paintforge, RJBonner

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll take a look into those proportions for sure :)
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Update on proportions, added beard and mouth

25789961.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    hahaha what an awesome idea. I am really keen to see where this guy goes.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    lol, glad you like it :)
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    update, still feel like he's not big enough :(

98034399.jpg
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    shrink his head dude. makes for a bigger look
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    shrinking the head would only make him look taller, but the hulk overall is more compact, i'd say beef him more up he is still looking like just a bodybuilder hellboy

just for comparison a quick overpaint

hulkerineboy.gif
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    How did this idea come around? Helkverine lol.The only way you can see Hulk in it right now is in the green colour. The hair, face, hand and tail are all Hellboy, the claw and belt is wolverine and the colour is Hulk. The visual identifiers are unbalanced. Its tricky as all the characters overlap buta cigar would work for hellboy and wolverine and the only way to show hulk other than his colour would be to beef him up beyond the point of credibility.wolverine_vs_hulk_by_nebezial.jpg

Hulk is BIG to the point of looking a bit stumpy as some of his limbs are almost as wide as they are long.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    tac0m: I did a bit already, but it starts looking bad if you go too small.

Neox: Thanks a ton for that paint over dude, def gives me some good ideas :)

Artist_in_a_box: lol, idea came from an avenger mashup challenge over at 3dtotal, thanks for pointers and yes for sure he's gonna have that CIGAR ;)
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    pretty happy with new proportions, moving on to accessories

49296812.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    First up, cool combo! We need a comp like this.

Second, his torso is a blocky, too flat, too square. From the lower ribs to the abs needs some real life reference. Needs some rounding out.

His thighs could do with some muscle ref too. And his knees, in fact the whole leg area is doing a shaggy pose (Scooby doo) like the lower legs are disjointed from the knee.

And he has no hips, I think this is the root of many problems, including the torso and thighs.

So in summary; real anatomical muscle ref. try and make it singular reference, not grabbing bits from several people of different builds.

But definitely keep it up man, it will be cool!
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Thanks for the feedback Mask :D

Here is an update hopefully is looking better, made the arms a tad bigger and did some overall changes

72270653.jpg
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Bit of progress, started working on the pants

34983798.jpg
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is really starting to come together cuban!!
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because of the similarities in Hellboy and Hulk's builds, I think you might be relying quite a lot on the diffuse to bring out the Hulk side of things.

Are there any other inclusions from Wolverine other than the claw?
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really cool.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the muscle work! really coming together.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    SA_22 Thanks dude :)

Jack Ryan Yep they are similar alright, thinking of adding some of wolverines hair style too, already has his dog-tags and claws

nufftalon Glad you like it ;)

Impala88 Thanks for the comments :thumbup:
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    I think its a very difficult project and it seems that your just running with it and adding more and more details. I think you should have a very strong direction in your mind of what you want. I think you should commit that concept to paper.
    RIght now, im confused, im not able to pick any of the characters. You have to choose how to make the three characters harmonious to one another design wise. That doesnt mean you should be like wolverines claws+Hellboys hand/face + Hulks color. You need to borrow design elements from each character and make them work with one another. Which is why i believe it is so important for you to have a design first.
    Im thinking hellboys jacket and accessories with reds and green for skin with wolverines body and facial hair- its too much to fit one character honestly lol
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    butt_sahib thanks for the crits ;)

This whole mash-up can indeed be difficult at times, mainly because the characters are kind of alike. Even though I don't have an actual concept in paper I'm pretty set on to what is coming from each character.

-Hulk is a bit difficult to start with design wise because he doesn't have much accessories per say (Green, Big and strechy pants)

-Hellboy in the other hands has more, I'm picking his sawed off horns, tail, fist of doom and face (somewhat)

-Wolverine, I'm getting the claws, belt, dog-tags & most likely his hair style, so it will be a mixture of hellboy/wolverine hair.

Maybe it will all make a bit more sense when it's all putted together :D

Edit: and the cigar, which both Wolverine and Hellboy are fans of ;)
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sahib has a point, 2 of the characters being so similar in build then one being completely different doesn't help. But I don't think you should stop, especially not after getting this far. It will still turn out looking great, even if it doesn't necessarily convey the design choices you were hoping for.

EDIT
    Apologies, didn't see your post above me ^-^
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Jack Ryan Thanks for the comments :) definitely not stopping now, gotta make it work somehow lol

97652281.jpg
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    playing with some base colors
    83882405.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    maybe too late, but maybe give both arms the hell boy/wolverine look? big hands with claws coming out? right now it just seems very voltron/power ranger-ish. might as well go with a foot of the flash, the eyes of cyclops and the breast of rogue. just saying the hellboy/wolverine features just seem slapped on.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    been thinking of just dropping wolvering and keep it as Hulk and Hellboy, maybe three characters is just not meant to be ;) thanks for the input though
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    How about giving him a more Wolverine-like hairstyle, and/or a whole bunch of hair all over his arms, legs and chest? Or maybe making him noticeably shorter? The claws, dogtags and belt are all distinctly Wolverine's, but they're also essentially props. I would try to incorporate some of his actual physical attributes as well. Right now the character more or less has Hulk's body and Hellboy's head, but there's very little about him that makes him feel like Wolverine.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Those are good options, the hair has always been in the plans was just living it to be added with alphas. Hairy arms, legs and chest could also add more Wolverine to it like you said.
  • Helreaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helreaper polycounter lvl 5
    I think you've done really well so far considering the task at hand. The problem of course is the integration of the three characters as has been mentioned. Putting Hellboy and The Hulk together is a lot easier than putting Wolveine in the mix too. The reason I think is that Hellboy and Hulk are both bulky, chunky characters, and wolverine, although indeed strong and muscle-y,is a lot leaner generally. Keep it up i'm sure you'll get there in the end. I wouldn't say it's impossible, just very hard to get away from that "slapped together" look.

It will probably help when adding a Wolverine hair style - As in the movies they styled Hugh Jackman's hair to give the silhouette a more "wolfy" look - this is ofcourse to mimic the original comic book spikey helmet that really portrays Wolverine

Wolverine-marvel-huge-jackman.jpg

wolverine.gif

So i think in general the addition of some 'wildman' hair will do wonders :)

As i said before, keep it up mate, i'm sure you'll get there :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Those blades wouldn't be able to fully retract, they're way too long.
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Thanks for the feedback guys

Here is a quick paint over
    44514147.jpg
  • Helreaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helreaper polycounter lvl 5
    Yep! definitely looks better in my opinion :D
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    This is an awesome idea. I'd say loose the tail since Hellboy's head and hand really make it obvious that he's in it and the tail just looks odd. Also now the only elements of Wolverine in it are the claws (which looked a lot better when they were smaller IMO) and the dog tags. I'd definitely give him logan's hairstyle to really emphasize a proper mashup. Here's a paint over that I did...
    Hellverulk.jpg

Sorry, made my post thinking there was only 1 page... Really don't like the body hair. Makes him look like Zengief which isn't what you want. And his head hair looks like Heihachi from Tekken at the moment. Awesome that you also thought to add the cigar... like others have said, you could try to add some clothing elements... right now he's too predominantly hulk.. maybe rather than Hellboy's jacket, just give him a ripped up wife beater tank. Though Hellboy's trench coat could also work and still leave his chest exposed.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second paint over with a coat :)
    Hellverulk_coat.jpg

Sorry, having too much fun with this...

Hellverulk_coat_tank.jpg
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Thanks a lot for the paint overs dude def some nice ideas, don't have much time to add all those since I have to turn it in by the end of the month. Maybe I can implement them if I do a revise later on :\ Thanks again :D
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turn it in? Is it for a contest?
    Maybe just do the tanktop (and forget about the jacket) then since its a staple of Wolverine and he's the one who's shown the least in this mashup. Tanktop, Wolverine's Hair and shave the beard and just give him mutton chops and he'll be perfect! Oh, and loose the tail :P

That's my opinion anyway
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    yeah it was for a contest, which I ran out of time for lol....but managed to get it in in time

only had 4 hours to unwrap, bake and "texture"

will probably go back and revisit this guy later on and add more details ;)

finalpx.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    make the dogtags smaller, he now looks small because of those huge plates
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd also suggest you make Hellboy's hand Red like its supposed to be. It would go well with the green and blue and sell the idea that he's Hellboy more. So the contest is over, you should still keep working on this guy, you've already come so far and he's so close to being a lot better.