Home Technical Talk

How do they do those incredibly crisp textures ?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Noors greentooth
So i've been unpacking Anno 1404 textures because i'm impressed by this game graphics.

The textures are not all even, but most of them are little jewels imo. So much little details.
Here's a little sample (cropped but 100% res) :

anno_detail.png

In your opinion what is the workflow to achieve so crisp textures ?
Not a single blurry part.

Worked in x2 or x4 then resized with nearest neighbor ?
Painted like pixel art ? But I know some parts are baked from highpoly, if not everything.
Sharpen filter a lot ?
Probably the dxt compression adds a bit of sharpening too.

I don't even get how they could make those 1 pixel thick circles look so good.
gah, killer work.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could also bake material colors for a base and use it as an easy mask whenever you need it.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, what dustinbrown said.

Also...texture filtering in engine tends to blur textures to make them look smoother. If you can, try using point filtering instead of bilinear or whatever.

Pixels will be more noticable in your texture...but it will give you a crisper look.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I always make 10k x 10k textures in paint, and then scale it down...or not. ;) Mip maps, filtering, resizing of texture without sharping, all makes the textures seem blurry. If you want crisp details, know for sure you don't need higher res, make the texture in the size you going to use in the engine. Or you can render out high textures, scale them, sharpen and then add details in the areas that needs optimizing.

I know from UDK, that mip maps has been in a pain in my arse, in the beginning, kept importing my 'cool' highres textures and then got this blurry crap when I looked at it in the engine. ;)
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I like to create my cavity maps in double res. Makes them much crisper after downsizing then doing them in game size.
    Another thing that i do is to work a lot with masks in photoshop to paint in dust or rust or whatever. And when i'm done and happy i sharpen the mask (not the texture layer itself).
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Mmh ok. No magic then. Just time and pixel love. I shall experiment. Thanks for the inputs !
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    McGreed wrote: »
    I always make 10k x 10k textures in paint, and then scale it down...or not. ;) Mip maps, filtering, resizing of texture without sharping, all makes the textures seem blurry. If you want crisp details, know for sure you don't need higher res, make the texture in the size you going to use in the engine. Or you can render out high textures, scale them, sharpen and then add details in the areas that needs optimizing.

I know from UDK, that mip maps has been in a pain in my arse, in the beginning, kept importing my 'cool' highres textures and then got this blurry crap when I looked at it in the engine. ;)

10k x 10k textures? What the hell. That's way overkill. The usual methodology is to use 2x the size you plan on having your final maps be.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned the unsharp mask filter yet? Combined with some proper texture work, it makes the same effect as the examples shown.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I was gonna say, I don't see anything too special going on here. I bet it's just a flattened layer on top of the document with the Unsharp Mask filter cranked up.

And my vote goes for painting in actual rez. The downsizing thing really only makes your mistakes harder to spot. But it doesn't magically add details or sharpness.

I think the notion comes from baking a normal map (or whatever map) at four-times the resolution, and then scaling it down a step later to get an anti-aliasing effect going. I'm not sure if even that's useful though, cause the amount of extra time you'll spend baking a 2048 compared to a 1024 should be about the same as just baking a 1024 with anti-aliasing turned on.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    ceebee wrote: »
    10k x 10k textures? What the hell. That's way overkill. The usual methodology is to use 2x the size you plan on having your final maps be.

*hands ceebee the joke-glasses* Come on, man, it's not that early in the morning that you couldn't see that I was joking.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Yeah, I was gonna say, I don't see anything too special going on here. I bet it's just a flattened layer on top of the document with the Unsharp Mask filter cranked up.

And my vote goes for painting in actual rez. The downsizing thing really only makes your mistakes harder to spot. But it doesn't magically add details or sharpness.

I think the notion comes from baking a normal map (or whatever map) at four-times the resolution, and then scaling it down a step later to get an anti-aliasing effect going. I'm not sure if even that's useful though, cause the amount of extra time you'll spend baking a 2048 compared to a 1024 should be about the same as just baking a 1024 with anti-aliasing turned on.

If I'm working at lower (sub 2048 res) I tend to paint double size and then sharpen the scaled down version. Painting bigger lets you do the small details easier and scaling down helps to soften out rough brush strokes etc, you do need to counter the shrinking with some sort of sharpening filter though or it tends to come out looking fuzzy and shite.

You have to sacrifice some time for AO bakes but I reckon you make it back from not having to be so anal with your painting anyway
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Well, i don't really know how to say that. If you zoom on it, you'll see that for instance, a window border or glass, is exactly on one pixel line.
    When you bake an highpoly, i don't see how you could have that control and be sure that the window border will not be baked on 2 pixels and be slightly blurry.
    Hard to say for the normal map, it's probably not as clean as the diffuse.
    But yeah, i do think they use massively the smart sharpen.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Noors wrote: »
    Well, i don't really know how to say that. If you zoom on it, you'll see that for instance, a window border or glass, is exactly on one pixel line.
    When you bake an highpoly, i don't see how you could have that control and be sure that the window border will not be baked on 2 pixels and be slightly blurry.
    Hard to say for the normal map, it's probably not as clean as the diffuse.
    But yeah, i do think they use massively the smart sharpen.

I'm not sure these are baked. Looks more like generated from a heightmap.
    But you can also clean up straight lines by hand in PS if they are slightly messy after a bake.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    What size are those textures?