Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Mixamo Contest: Goth Necromancer Girl

Finished product..

7897352694_a691f1e9a2_k.jpg

7897329330_25cda15dc1_k.jpg

7897329880_5c9e5ff2cf_k.jpg

7891078958_5e0fdbb434_b.jpg

Hey, this is my first post here, and my first time really posting any 3D work on a forum.

I really would appreciate any feedback whatsoever!
So please bring the critiques, comments, and tips!

I realize I am getting into this contest pretty late, but I really thought it looked like fun and I wanted to join in.
There are so many great models being made here!

My concept is really quick and messy, I didn't want to waste any time and I had a good enough idea of what I was doing.

7700716728_5ac2aaf4fe_b.jpg

Here is what I have so far, I still need to do the stockings and the arm sleeves. I also need to do detailing and stuff on all the pieces...
There are also some places I might like to change to be closer to the original concept..

7700716630_55324124c7_b.jpg

Thanks for looking at this!

Replies

• greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, update.. I did some work, detailing the body and face, not sure I like how the face is yet.
    I also added stockings and detailed the skirt and neckthing..

I still have a ton of stuff to do, not sure i will make the deadline but I am gonna try!

Any comments, critiques, or suggestions would be very helpful!

7741261686_11095bcd3f_b.jpg
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    the begining looks great :) the hands are a bit too thin but perhaps you want them to look like that.
  • TigerGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    Her joints could use a bit more definition. Shoulders, arms, knees, ankles... And if she's that thin, she should have more definition in the muscles, as well. The face looks good, from what I can see.
  • greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the comments! Very helpful! =)

-Jeebs
    Thanks I didn't realize that but they look way better a bit bigger!

-TigerGD
    Yeah, thank you for pointing that out. Looking at ref of really thin people, the joints, bones, and muscles really show a lot.

I did some stuff to the body to make it look more like a super thin body should. I think I will do more to up the creepy factor, by making the spine and shoulder blades more pronounced.. I could probably do more for the knees, but I am not sure how much they will show with the stockings.

I really need to get the highpoly stuff done and get started with the low rez and texturing.

Here are pics

7749867934_d3f2e07e23_b.jpg

and closer..

7749844850_5f0bac6fa1_b.jpg
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    I feel this could look awesome at the end, really hope you finish it on time.
  • greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMGosh! I really haven't had time to work on this! I just finished a version of the low poly, and almost finished the texture mapping..

I am at about 12400 polys, so that gives plenty for the staff, but I really don't know what to do with the leftover yet...

7792075278_690b917ba4_b.jpg

I need to bake maps next. I will need a diffuse, normal, specular, and I believe an alpha...

would have liked a glow, but oh well...
  • greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I have finished the uv and texture baking, and am working on the diffuse and all that. I started the alpha, and I have yet to start the specular...

I really am not sure what to do with the coloring... I am running out of time, and panicking a bit, but I just need to calm down and work..

I also still need a staff, a pose, and a final shot..

Can I just do the final shot in unreal? does that work?

Any suggestions about coloring or values would be extremely helpful.

7805095798_54820c74e6_b.jpg

7805101350_7f0c7a536c_z.jpg
    7805101166_3ee0c748af_z.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    The colors of your concept were cool.

Yeah you can use UDK, or Xoliul Shader, or 3PointShader in max/maya, or Marmoset, anything which is not an awesome Mental Ray renderer or whatever ^^.

If you use UDK you should deactivate the compression or the mip maps when importing the textures, they will look ugly with default parameters.
  • Thousand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    this is a cool character, i really like it; i would use a lighter background for the rendering as the character would be better readable then

a bit of colour would give it more mood, i agree with texelion
  • greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Texelion, Thanks, I downloaded Marmoset and I love it. It is so easy to use, and it makes everything look great.

-Thousand Thanks a bunch, yeah the black was way too dark, looks much better on a lighter shade.

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback, it has been super helpful!

So I dropped all the stuff in Marmoset, and made a really quick specular map. It really looks cool, it has a nice glow effect, and a specular effect, so that makes me happy..

I am still working on the textures, I really think I need to do some serious work on the outer corset. It just looks flat and boring.. I might even go back into zbrush and redo it..

Staff still needs doing, but thanks to the extension, I have some time!

It really is crazy how much difference a nice render makes..

7817155072_864501ebeb_b.jpg
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    like these colors :) looks great so far
  • greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -jeebs Thanks!

I had to redo the textures since the last post because I did them originally at 1024...
    I rethought some of the colors, and i modeled the staff..

The detail that you can put into 2048 is really awesome.

I still need to pose this tomorrow, hopefully that doesn't take too long.

then render and do the pictures for submission...

Thanks again to everyone who gave me feedback and tips!

Sorry for the topsy turvy pics, I really haven't learned how to navigate marmoset yet...

7891078958_5e0fdbb434_b.jpg

7891083170_2f23597ed1_k.jpg
  • Gemstigma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is much better now... well done... :)
  • greyskill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Gemstigma Hey, thanks!

Finished for the contest!

I learned a ton from doing this, I really should do things like this more often!

7897352694_a691f1e9a2_k.jpg

7897329330_25cda15dc1_k.jpg

7897329880_5c9e5ff2cf_k.jpg