Home Technical Talk

palm trunk texture

Cube Republic
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
Has anyone got any advice on how I would hand paint a palm trunk texture, thanks :)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palmbark.jpg

Sorry about the delay, here is my first attempt. I'm going to start another one presently, and advice appreciated :)
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    image is broken, for me it is anyways
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palmbark.jpg

It's a good start. I think it needs some more time.

To make it easier, focus on one small section and work that up to finished quality, it will save a lot of time and might save some frustration. Once you get a small section working how you like, then you can use what you've learned to make the rest.

Good reference is key. It helps to find a photo taken on an overcast day.
    3209014-palm-bark--background.jpg

Start with a large brush, like 20 px, and get as far as you possibly can with it. Block in all the major forms. Then use a brush half that size, add more info. Keep referring to the reference as you go.

Sometimes it helps to take the reference and run a blur filter on it, to help you see the larger forms. That can help you see how to paint with the large brush.

Here's an example I made awhile back, might help.
    ericchadwick_wood_timelapse.gif

Painting is fun, don't forget to enjoy it!
  • L1151502
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would suggest working more on the shadows aswell because that can really bring out the detail in a texture
    even if u created a normal map and baked out an ao from that ?
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric, thank you very much for your reply. I can see the difference between my attempt and your photo reference. The layers seem to come in from the sides as crescent moon shapes, whilst mine is a lot more even like paving slabs. The biggest issue I'm having is describing the cracks. I use a Wacom, and when I have it set to one pixel width it becomes difficult to use. Could this be the DPI?

edit: Why are my images not showing, I'm using image shack
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Image Shack has embed code on their site, that's what I used to quote your image.

You shouldn't be using a 1-pixel brush, not yet. You need to paint in the large shapes first, get those right, before adding detail. All your detail right now is misdirected. Instead, make each stroke count. Undo a stroke until you lay it down just right.

If you have a 3d model of palm bark, then certainly you could start with an AO bake from that. But you need to improve your painting skills before you can sculpt a good model in Zbrush. Painting a 2D texture is one of the best ways to improve your painting/sculpting skills.
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again Eric.

Here's where I'm at, all be it the very beginning! I was intending on building it up and eventually adding the darker tones. I know it's very rough, but I'm trying to avoid problems down the line. some of the more obvious horizontal lines are guides. The thing I'm worried about is eventually tiling it, what's the best way to achieve this?

palmbarkv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If anyone is interested, here are the leaf alphas I made from my original meshes. I'm trying to get upto scratch with hand painting in conjunction with rendering leafs like my enclosed example. I'm about a couple of years into using blender, all be it mainly for second life, and even SL has only had mesh for a year now, so before that I was only making these horrible things called sculpties which just scratch the surface of 3D modelling. I'm really interested in environment modelling, which stems from my interest in horticulture and geology. I know a lot of people would probably go for the quick route such as CG textures etc, but I really wish to get my head around being able to produce all aspects of my work. I also own a copy of zbrush and am making tentative steps with it.

:)

captureqvy.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're totally going in the right direction, learning wise. All sounds good.

As for the texture, try using opaque brushes instead of transparent ones. I think the transparency is making it harder to get good values, the glassy mixing is getting in the way.

Set the Brush tool to 100% opacity & flow, with somewhere like 75% hardness. Use your color picker on the reference photo. Start a new texture, and paint full values only.

Start with darkest shade, and add lighter shades. Keep all the marks as big as possible... broad strokes! Keep color picking from the photo.

This will force you to get the hang of laying down exactly the tones you need.
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.....I had transfer set to pen pressure lol