Home General Discussion

C4D 14 with sculpting!

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Cinema 4d now has sculpting tools built in, hope its like silo! http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/new_in_cinema_4d_r14

looks surprisingly good!

Replies

• Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I wonder how many game artists use Cinema 4D (What a cheesy name) as a major part of their pipeline?
  • Mogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a cheesy name
    Because Maya, 3dsmax, Modo, & Lightwave sound much classier? It's just a name. Get over it. It's served them well for 20 years.
    I wonder how many game artists use Cinema 4D as a major part of their pipeline?
    Probably none, but games aren't the only industry around. Here's what you have to consider.

Even though C4D has been around for 20 years, it really didn't gain significant attention in the United States until v7 in 2001. Thanks to 3D Studio DOS & PowerAnimator, 3dsmax & Maya precursors, Autodesk had already cornered the game market by then. Since a studio can have a fair number of licenses and artists, it's just prohibitively expensive to relicense and retrain. Reworking an entire pipeline is generally not an option for most established studios.

That said, Cinema4D is very frequently used in film production, motion graphics, & TV. Its credits are wide & varied, often sharing the same screen space with Maya & 3dsmax.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never said anything about other 3d suites, but you gotta admit, 4D Studio Max would sound way cheesier. :poly124:

I am honestly curious if anyone on polycount uses it for game art.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    The snapping system looks cool, and it has guides which is interesting.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
    respawnrt wrote: »
    The snapping system looks cool, and it has guides which is interesting.

Basically taken from Modo. I don't get why Maxon added "Sculpting" to their feature set as the game market/artist isn't really their strong point at all. It lacks many necessary features and Bodypaint is pretty much a dead horse they don't feed anymore (yet they drag it around).
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Computron wrote: »
    I wonder how many game artists use Cinema 4D (What a cheesy name) as a major part of their pipeline?

I used it for quite a while, mostly between my transition from VFX to game art. My avatar is actually from a castle I made in C4D some years ago.

Cinema 4D, the "4D" comes from animation (time). Its not that cheesy of a name, actually.

Cinema 4D is 100% for sure the easiest program to get into 3d with. It far surpasses Blender in UI organization and its very straight forward.

They also didn't add sculpting to target game artists, they added sculpting to make VFX artists have an easier time making pretty much anything. Statues/scenes etc, they explain it at the end of the sculpting video.

And C4D is just as popular as max/maya for movies.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Computron wrote: »
    I am honestly curious if anyone on polycount uses it for game art.

I do and I think maybe hawken does?
    We use it all the time at my work, we have to use it because we are all on macs as we develop primarily for IOS. Its one of the only full featured 3D apps(including animation) on a mac and its not overpriced like maya so its a pretty good buy for a startup mobile games studio! Its also very easy to use if you come from a max or maya background because the basic modelling tools are very nice, though it lacks more complex tools. It also plays well with unity3D which is a big plus for mobile devs!

That said I totally agree with you thomas p I never would have expected sculpting and normal map baking in this release but it looks like they have done it surprisingly well, maybe they are getting more interested in supplying the tools game artists need?
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    the sculpting in c4d looks interesting to me. it'd be cool to sculpt a character, and then rig it and animate it on its low subdivisions and then render it on the high subdivs.

this is what i was expecting autodesk to do when they bought mudbox. does mudbox integrate with max and maya in any way?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im just wondering how versatile this sculpting is, for example if Im sculpting a face and find I dont have my edgeloops round the nose quite right can I step down and add/change some loops and then step up and continue sculpting with no loss of work?
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    ^not really c4d related but i know you can do that in blender with multires.
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working with C4D over 5 years , I'm still in a love !
    The Sculpting's surprised me , ...why not - I hope that that the stability is there !
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    Cinema 4D, the "4D" comes from animation (time). Its not that cheesy of a name, actually.

I guess arguably so.

Still seems kinda cheesy:

ZyBC5.jpg

:poly121:

I think Maya has the coolest name, meaning 'illusion'. 3Ds max sounds very generic. Modo makes no sense, but sounds cool. Although this means nothing in terms of the programs quality.

It's interesting to see so many people using C4D though.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to know what kind of rig they were running that demo on.
    C4d is horrible when it comes to high polycounts so i dont really see this as something
    one would use a lot, maybe for blocking in landscapes and such.
    Nice to see they finally have functioning normal map baking.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    C4D is better than max at high polycounts. You have to make sure you switch the viewport to Open GL rendering right there in the view options
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I first used c4d when I started out a few years ago, had it's weak and strong points :)
    For the latest years they seemed to have focused most on rendering and the motion graphics industry.
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my Landscape under C4D - 714 K QUADS ( 1.400 000 tris); no problemo :poly142:

landscapec4d.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice did u use the new sculpting tools or did you just import a model? I thought it wasnt out yet
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    C4D's always been great if you need decent results quickly, without jumping through a lot of hoops. I know a number of graphic designers who use it. The migration from C4D to Maya or 3DS can be pretty tough though so I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner who wants 3D to be their primary focus.

Still, a complete workflow package including painting tools (Bodypaint) AND sculpting tools? Kudos Maxon.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://nitro4d.com/blog/magicsolo/ works pretty flawless !
    I understand every other crit you have tho, i use it solely for work but no realtime stuff and i understand why its almost not used at all there.
    Ohyeah and vray is a must have ^^
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers i was stoked when i found it after seeing how my co workers can handle isolating in max and tada perfect ^^
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    nice did u use the new sculpting tools or did you just import a model? I thought it wasnt out yet
    non, this is Not C4D R14 , so I did not use the new sculpt tool .:poly127: What I wanna show it's just that already the C4D R 12 support nicely 2 milions poly without a crash. In a case of my Landscape I use C4D R12 only for very simple work as a magnet (put in a place my rocks), symetrie ( to get an out area ), UV EDITOR and BODY PAINT (texturing).:poly142:

( the modelling of my Landscape is another story - Terragen for a basic terrain with a basic erosion , Sculptris for a basic blocking of rocks , Zbrush for a details of rocks and terrain ; ... and than C4D for UV and BODY PAINT. I keep all still in a quads).

I hope that I don't disappoint You too much.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    no thats cool, what a complicated workflow hehe
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    no thats cool, what a complicated workflow hehe

yes , ( What a bad addictions I've got ?! lol ,, :poly121: , but it works fine for me & the result is here - this is what count for me )
    Well ,that's why now I'm waitting for C4D 14 to have all what I need in a one software.:poly142:
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    holy shit thats freaking amazing.

Did not expect that. Learned Cinema 4D first, and im really glad I can integrate it in my game workflow

Cinema is used a lot in combination with after effects for motion graphics aswell
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    Cinema is used a lot in combination with after effects it seems btw.

That is one of the big reason why I am interested in it.