Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Joker Bust: Batman Arkham Asylum Inspired

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
Just thought I would post this for crits before I call it done. Its a Joker bust I have been working on during lunch for a while now. It started as a speed sculpt from a sphere in zbrush, but I liked it enough to take it this far.
I'm going for a stylized look like the Batman Arkham Asylum concept shown here, but also wanted to incorporate some of the cool things about the joker from the Batman movie.

I'm planning on creating a beauty shot after I get some critiques here. I was thinking about painting in some drool and stuff to add some extra polish.

These are just screen grabs from 3ds max with the new Xoliul shader 2.0.

Joker_wip_03.jpg
02_brad_myers_joker_hp_01.jpg
Main_refes_02.jpg

Replies

• DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Looking Great, he nearly gave me a scare there, I could spot him from a mile away. nice style, good job!
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it!
    I think your texture could benefit from a lot more, extreme whites to contrast the skin and faded paint. Currently it looks a bit...odd. I know what you were trying to achieve, the paint just isn't defined enough. Work on defining the paint and throw in some more whiter-whites :P

It also looks like...going by your concept, that the corner of your mouth goes way too high. It looks like it stops beneath the cheek bone, but the paint goes to where you currently have it.

*edit*
    Actually, looking at it again, I think everything except the teeth could use a lot more defining. I know it's WIP, but just emphasizing that :P
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    He looks more insane and scary than the drawing ^^. Good.

It's maybe too late to say that, but it could be better to do a real bust ( head + shoulders + chest ) than a simple head. And I think that with this expression we really should see the tension on the sterno-clesido-mastothing...

You should add the dribble too ^^.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model seems fine, i dont like the concept itself though, not the kind of Joker for me
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    DJ_Aaron: Thanks!

[SF]Three9: I get what you are saying… I think I’m going to push the makeup contrast a little more based on your crit. I do feel that the skin to makeup transition is lost a little in the textures. I’ll probably keep the rest though as I’m afraid if I push the contrast too much he will begin to look like stone rather than a fleshy character.
    Also, I realize about the cuts in the cheek going higher in my model. It’s one of the things that I changed thinking it would look cooler like that. In the concept he doesn’t have those cuts/scars. But in the movie he did. I really wanted incorporate that in this piece and not be bound by the original concept.

Texelion, Ahoburg: Thanks guys. Yea, I realize with a stylize character like this it’s not going to be everyone’s favorite choice. Personally the moment I saw the concept I fell in love with it so I had to at least sculpt it. As awesome as the art is in Arkam Asylum, I felt the joker model in-game didn’t look nearly as cool as the concept here. That was partly why I choose this. The biggest challenge for me has been trying to stick with this style, but still have it hold some characteristics that are set in reality. I don’t want to be one of those who just say “it’s stylized, so I can’t be wrong”. Thanks for the comments guys.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I upped the contrast between the makeup and skin, and played around with the spec and some other small things. Here is the final result, I think I'll call this one done for now, hope you guys like it.

I'll post some breakdowns again soon.

bmyers_joker_beauty_01.jpg
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    killer Joker man, definitely like the end result. i think a little more color variation on the teeth would of worked,maybe a little more brown. but its done so its still cool.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    demilich: Thanks dude... now that you mention it the teeth do look a bit plain, but oh well, I could probably fiddle with this on and on. Time to start something new I think. I didn't do much with the teeth other than the original polypaint actually, so certainly they could still use some love.

here is the final construction sheet...

brad_myers_joker_presentation_sheet_02.jpg
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet job man! I would suggest making the eyeball spec have a little more pop. Also I'm not a huge fan of the one you photoshoped. Stuff just looks blurry
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Agreed for the teeth, they could be more "destroyed" even in the shape. But yeah sometimes it's better to start something else ^^.

Nice job.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    seconded on the teeth also try this on for size.
    flatten the diffuse. filter/other/highpass. set the blending mode to overlay
    it's a fancy way to sharpen your image, I think a lot of the details you put into your diffuse will start poping out because right now it seems a little blurry.
    fyi this can be used on all your textures.
    lol "tighten up them graphics" as the devry comercial says
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    thanks for the comments everyone.

ok, last update for realz!
    here he is with a quick pass of brown to the teeth and sharpened up a bit. The blurring around the edges was indeed intentional, as it was done with a zdepth pass. Thought it might look cool, but was unsure so I'm glad I found the majority here doesn't like that so much. I was on the fence with it myself.

dudealan2001: yea, I'm familiar with the highpass filter, I just haven't found an actual reason to use it over the unsharp mask. I understand its a bit less destructive, but since you typically flatten the image and sharpen on the top most layer, it doesn't seem to matter if you are working destructive or not. In the end you get the same result, or possibly I am missing something?

bmyers_joker_beauty_02.jpg