Home General Discussion

Orcs Must Die 2 (with Co-op)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
monster polycounter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s9wkicuXog"]Orcs Must Die! 2 - Announcement Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

When the first OMD was released our biggest request was co-op play. So we dug our heels in, added co-op, and a spellbook with over 50 traps, weapons, and spells! If you own OMD part 1, it will unlock the classic levels in OMD2. Have fun guys!

Please tell your friends!

Replies

• Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Pre-ordered the 2 pack, downloading it right now, loved the first one :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yes, YEs, YES! OH LORDY YES!
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Preordered too.. love the art style ;) .. Will you post a making of ?
  • JDinges
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    My boys and I are really excited for this, we absolutely loved the first one.

Question though, I haven't seen it stated, will there be splitscreen for xbox? or only multiple machine coop?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I guess this will come to Xbox at some point? Sounds perfect to play with my girlfriend.
  • daphz
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I bought it earlier and it's really fun! cant wait to do some co op. More games need co op these days.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    When I first heard Orcs must die didn't have CO OP I figured you guys were brain dead. But I'm glad to see that there's still a game company's out there that actually improves on their sequels. 2 thumbs up to you Robot Entertainment.

I just love this game so far, it's more of what you loved from Orcs must die and better. BUY THIS GAME!
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I pre-ordered it on Steam. Thing that sucks about Steam is that it doesn't automatically download it, so when I get home tonight I'll have to then download it. Oh well.

But yeah, been really looking forward to this one. Almost done with Eufloria too (which you guys should check out too), so it's the perfect timing.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Forgot to mention this is Steam only. The Xbox sales of OMD1 were several orders of magnitude less than Steam so we decided to do PC only.

BIG THANKS to all that pre-ordered!

They just handed out our Steam codes so have at it! (Please just use one!)

8NB2Y-2C8QL-NYKVH
    LK3BW-0BVQG-EE9X8
    2LP2B-VI7HW-3WRLV
    9JQCW-PQJKB-Y6TQX
    LHZ28-6XDLC-BV4XH
  • Mithdia
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you Monster =)

2. on the bottom were used and I used the middle one I think.. just throwing it out there
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I just used the 1st one and am eager to violently massacre orc types, super thanks Monster:)
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I mad jealous wont be able to grab one of those keys till i get home >__< and cant activate keys on steam mobile yet it seems.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Aww man, was hoping to snag to get my little brother to play with me, oh well, I guess he can clench and watch me instead.
  • nick2730
    same, was going to give it to my wife so we can play.

Thanks tho awesome gesture
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Brilliant man for offering them out. They've all been snagged now. Probably long before i tried one so. ;'D

As for the coop- Brilliant.

Just brilliant.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    aww I missed the steam keys :(

Oh well when I get moneys I will get to owning this ! Love the style, OMD. Was a big influence on my indie games art style!
  • slipsius
    Just picked it up. Loved the first one with all the unique traps. Kinda wish you guys implemented Gear like in dungeon defenders, but, your traps absolutely crush DDs, and now with coop? Hells yes!

Havent played yet. can anyone tell me if coop, you have your own trap limits, or is it a team limit?
  • Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    For co-op, each player has their own money pool and own trap list. Both players can stack traps (so like both could choose the same trap set) if you want more of a particular item. Both the sorceress and warmage start out with different sets of unique traps that (i'm pretty sure anyway) can't be accessed by the other character. I'm also not sure if you can sell your friend's traps and vice versa.

It's such a smooth co-op experience. I never experienced any framerate issues or loss of quality. The only thing that kind of sucked was the dedicated VoIP so we just used skype and turned "push-to-talk" off. Definitely a solid game though. I can't wait to play some more when I get off work.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Sooo... can you play with anyone? or does it have to be someone in your friends list? i usually play in the morning and i notice that the game gets really hard to solo... its fun... but i think they were designed for co op right away.

I like it tho.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Great game. Played a few hours last night, I love it just as much as the first.

Though I have to admit, the levels where there are two different doors that go into two different portals really mess with me. Kinda hate those.

Also, is it just me, or can you not rely solely on traps as much? I find myself having to manually kill monsters regularly. I really enjoyed in the first game that if you were smart, you could rely solely on traps.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    i dunno... i found some that you could bounce them into your path, and have them get killed with traps that i found i placed heavily at the beginning while i just killed with my shotgun on the other side. There was the occasional stump where i had to run back... So i guess it depends how you place your traps and what kind. I do like the physics, making orcs fly only to shoot them in the air is pretty neat.

It's a game that has skill, and it does make you think. I like it a lot so far.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, how do you guys handle the Gnoll Hunters? It seems like they pretty much skip through my setup no matter what. I saw one of them kill all 4 of my dwarves in like seconds.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    monster wrote: »
    Forgot to mention this is Steam only. The Xbox sales of OMD1 were several orders of magnitude less than Steam so we decided to do PC only.

Wow, ok interesting. i can imagine it's not worth all the extra hassle to get it XBLA approved then...
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Also, how do you guys handle the Gnoll Hunters? It seems like they pretty much skip through my setup no matter what. I saw one of them kill all 4 of my dwarves in like seconds.

Just put up some barricades ahead of your dwarfs so enemies can't reach them. They aren't supposed to tank heavy creatures. If you are afraid of having your barricades destroyed by those bomb carriers just put 2-3 lava floors(don't remember the name) 2 tiles ahead of the barricades and they won't blow them up.

Fastest way to kill the bigger mobs is to do it yourself, lava floors + blunderbuss/grenade pretty much eats everything up.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually playing as the wizard, so I keep using her right-click to charm the big creatures. That way they kill the other smaller ones, and also take a lot of damage in the process. But the gnoll guys are so fast that I don't have time to see them.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    glottis8,

The game has a different set of creatures depending on if you are playing single player, co-op, or Endless mode. You can only play with friends on your friends list (for now).

Bigjohn,

I usually charm the Hunters, or use the Ice Amulet to freeze them. Another thing, is make them chase you on top of the lava floor. Finally, you can use the polymorph ring to turn them into a chicken (sometimes).

Thanks guys! BTW, check out this guy! I've been playing for a long time, and I still can't place traps that fast.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbYRN5603Ak&quot;]Orcs Must Die! 2 - rechyyy's slaughter house - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that a hint that we might get public CO OP? :D

If you can get the ring of lightning, get it. It slaughters those poor orcs. 3 hit's to kill the gnolls too and since it's chain a spell you will kill them all.

Since none of my friends have bought the game yet, and I really wanna try out CO OP. My steam name is mr_nisse, so add if you wanna slay some orcs with me.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, what's endless mode?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    exactly what it sounds like, some levels unlock an endless wave of orcs while you try to last as long as you can. they're campaign levels but the orc units are mixed up and it's a good way to earn extra skulls while practicing mid-battle spending habits.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Under "Game Mode" in the level select screen you can change Story mode to Endless mode. If you own OMD1, there is also a Classic mode (which has the popular levels from OMD1). We'll have another new mode planned soon too.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    You need a Make Your Own Orcs mode ;)
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    oh that's sounds awesome. I like the levels where they all funnel into one area so I can trap the shit out of that one spot. I could play that in endless. I'll check it out when I get back home tonight.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Penny Arcade-ed. :)

paorcs.jpg
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished story mode last night. Man, I really love this game. Now I'm starting on endless mode for some of the levels. Gotta try multiplayer at some point too.

One question, how do you use the void wall? It sounds like such an awesome trap, but when I placed it I noticed it doesn't suck orcs in. So is it just for you manually pushing them in? Sounds pretty ineffective compared to the acid wall-trap.

Oh and on wall-traps, I've seen videos of people who use a wall spike-trap that shoots out spikes, and they can also place that same one on the ceiling. But I don't see it in the list to unlock, and I finished story mode, so how do you get that one?
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe its an upgrade for one of the other ones? Or maybe one of the specific upgrades lets you place them on top. Mine shoot fire arrows now.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    No, but how do you even get it at all? I don't have an arrow-shooting trap.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    The sorceress don't appear to get it, instead you get the acid sprayer while the war mage gets the arrow trap.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see. Well that's some BS. So the sorc doesn't get any ceiling damage-trap? (other than the pounder)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    John, in the traps menu if you click on the regular Wall Arrows it takes you to the upgrade page, the third down allows you to place them on ceilings :)
    every trap/weapon has three upgrades available be it damage, stun, location or whatever. Provided you've got the skulls of course.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    To effectively use the Void Wall you can use a Push Trap, Flip Trap, or Ceiling Mace to knock people into it. The Wind Belt weapon works too. The Void Wall is powerful because every time you knock someone into it you always get a coin, Mana Potion, Life Potion, and sometimes a Skeleton Guardian steps out of it.
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Wow someone releasing a demo to play ... wonders will never cease. And after playing the demo I bought the 2 pack for me and my bro to play duo, gonna be some fun for a few hours anyway.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the leader boards bugged or are the people on endless mode really receiving so high scores? Wall of Soup has 1,843,186,896 on wave 24. I have 242,242 (Tunnels map). I'm not even close by a small bargain or is there some secret to getting high scores?

What's the point of having units when they don't seem to get ressed after level 22-24(?) anymore? I went to level 34 with having all my units dead and no more stop timer.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    John, in the traps menu if you click on the regular Wall Arrows it takes you to the upgrade page, the third down allows you to place them on ceilings :)
    every trap/weapon has three upgrades available be it damage, stun, location or whatever. Provided you've got the skulls of course.

Right, but what I'm saying is it doesn't seem like you can do this if you're playing the sorceress. The wall arrow is the only practical one, and according to the guys here you don't get that with the sorceress. The equivalent which I've been using, the acid bath one, doesn't have the ceiling upgrade.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Ah. yeah you gotta come up with a different strategy for trap/skill-set.

Use that big 'ole head of yours ;)