Home General Discussion

The influence of Greentooth

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
killnpc polycounter
What was polycount like before it had a symbol? How has greentooth influenced the polycount community, if at all?

Replies

• ZacD
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    There were more drunk KP threads!!
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Whoa it's weird I recognize it, I actually came across that polycount when I was looking for a version of radient during my highshool modding years... and wouldn't see PC again for a decade lol.

I like the GreenTooth, more personality than other forums misc symbols ;P
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Neat, more than one player model I worked on still there.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »

What about the pre-2004 forums? Can you find those? I can't remember the url.

boards.polycount.net doesn't seem to do anything either, but that may have been post 2004 anyway.
  • ZacD
  • EarthQuake
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we go, this is even older

http://web.archive.org/web/20010210084331/http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

Wow, look at the general discussion section, its all related to games/modeling/etc, not riddled full of political threads, imagine that!
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Those web archive links bring back a lot of memories. Epsilon shall rise again! :)
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Wow a trip down the memory lane.

I kind of miss the focused nature of old-school polycount
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »

Wow, look at the general discussion section, its all related to games/modeling/etc, not riddled full of political threads, imagine that!

http://web.archive.org/web/20041109084645/http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001740.html?012-200104162142

oh they're still there just not as blatant
  • EarthQuake
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    A real question on a hypothetical idea: What if we got rid of General Discussion @ Polycount??

Tech Talk becomes the place to talk about everything 3D art related. P&P remains the same. All thats left from GD thats relevant are posts about games - so we do a games forum instead. No general discussion.

Before you guys grab your pitchforks, I have no intentions of doing this I'm simply posing the questions to see the reactions to such an idea.

:)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    NO HAPPY. Where do we talk about stuff that influences art like movies and news? News could be wrapped in to 'Tech Talk' and movies... I have no idea.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Also, kp: I'm not sure what, if any, influence Greentooth (the symbol/logo) has had on the website. I really don't think that is what influences people around here.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    A real question on a hypothetical idea: What if we got rid of General Discussion @ Polycount??

Tech Talk becomes the place to talk about everything 3D art related. P&P remains the same. All thats left from GD thats relevant are posts about games - so we do a games forum instead. No general discussion.

Before you guys grab your pitchforks, I have no intentions of doing this I'm simply posing the questions to see the reactions to such an idea.

It's not a terrible idea. Maybe we just need to re-work the rules a little bit... I think the general consensus from the admin/moderator perspective is that GD is "General discussion, relating to games, art, films, etc" while to the end user its "General discussion about anything".

I think just clearing that up someway would be a good idea. I don't know how exactly to do it, as a lot of people do not pay attention to the "rules" stickies in the various forums.

Really more than anything I would be in favor of deterring the often-cancerous political/hot button threads that virtually always end in flaming/getting too personal/etc and are honestly just out of place on polycount. I really have no problem at all with harmless off-topic discussion, though harmless becomes very subjective. Again, I do not know a good way of actually doing this.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think having 1 forum out of the 14 public ones not always be focused on game art is ok.

MAn, waybackmachine made me remember this award juan and i won back in 2000.
    qbranch_award.jpg
    Second place for best newcomer models for 2000
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11

Sounds good to me.

Maybe even make it into a proper game-art general discussion. Like the way Tech is, but for game-art. There seems to be no place to talk about just art concepts. P&P is for posting work, and tech is for talking about technical concepts.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Bigjohn that's what we want GD to be. (I won't comment more, for now, to let others join in on this conversation some more.)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    This talk has come up a lot in the past, hasn't it Adam?

I personally think polycount needs an off-topic forum (aka GD as it is now). However, I wouldnt mind seeing a game art talk subforum like the tech talk, where you can talk about influences, concept art, other peoples work, etc. Then change general discussion to "off topic". People come here to talk in the GD because there are other like minded people who can share their interests with, even if it doesn't mean art stuff.

Now, I am a little bias though, seeing as I mainly use the GD. Im curious to see how that will change with the upcoming changes ive heard about, with making it easier to browse art.

That being said, I also get the desire to get rid of GD since a lot of off topic stuff starts these huge debates which only stress people out and make people argue.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I go back to page 4 where I find MAYBE one thread that is not game industry specific or of relevant interests to game industry people (i.e. movies, books, etc), and it's about the batman shooting.

I think people make too big a deal about it all.

Anyways. Let's not derail this thread.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I go back to page 4 where I find MAYBE one thread that is not game industry specific or of relevant interests to game industry people (i.e. movies, books, etc), and it's about the batman shooting.

I think people make too big a deal about it all.

Anyways. Let's not derail this thread.

Honestly I would be very interested to hear what most people think about those sort of threads. Sure there aren't a lot of them, but when the do put up they get a lot of attention - and generally cause a lot of strife.

Personally I think arguing about politics on polycount is about as useful as arguing about normal map baking at the repub/dem national convention, but thats just me and my stance on the topic should be well known.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, they can be few & far between most certainly. Either way - back to Greentooth. Outside of Polycount I would love to see him make his way in every game ever. An insider-insider easter egg.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wish that green tooths screen shots in games thread was bigger, I remember people saying that there are more than a few they do not have screen shots of.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they can be few & far between most certainly. Either way - back to Greentooth. Outside of Polycount I would love to see him make his way in every game ever. An insider-insider easter egg.

Ack, I need some spray paint, he's an easy stencil.
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam:why don't you rename general to 'game/art discussion' and create a new suptopic called 'off topic' that linked to a site like 4chan or whatever hip young people use to discuss everything nowadays?

I think renaming the subtopic would have a bigger effect than people might expect.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor

http://web.archive.org/web/20010210084331/http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

smells like home, mmm black green blue and red. miss you

and lol at all the images in sigs. forgot about that. thank god that died.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If you guys remove the GD section, how will people talk about GW, Skyrim, etc?

I mean I don't see peeps posting about Games and Movies or even Music in Technical Talk.

On the other hands, as Dreg said, you could have Discussion and something else Called Offtopic. Anyone who wants to talk about Gun Control can get to Offtopic, while peeps who want to talk about Negative and Positive Silhouettes, Skyrim and Dupstep they can listen at work can keep it in Discussion.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm all for losing general discussion. Very few artists here actually post in GD that often, and those of us who do just get into unproductive fights :p
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    @ Joseph Silverman Wanna fight about it?
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    dregoloth wrote: »
    Adam:why don't you rename general to 'game/art discussion' and create a new suptopic called 'off topic' that linked to a site like 4chan or whatever hip young people use to discuss everything nowadays?

I think renaming the subtopic would have a bigger effect than people might expect.

+1
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    You know, I've been coming to this site since it was q2pmp, and in all that time, though I haven't posted much, I always kept an eye on General Discussion. I could always look there and see what was stirring the passions of those around me in this field. I could see what those people interested in, and associated with, the things I enjoy think about storytelling, art, and media in general. Polycount, though originally launched as a site about quake art, has become a community that we can look to and see a culture we've all built together over these last 14+ years. General discussion, thought prone to occasional spats, has always been a core part of this culture.

I look at P&P and see tons of normal mapped, UDK this/that, over and over again. While a lot of it is great, and while I certainly enjoy seeing what else others are doing; I, and perhaps some others who have been here for so long, come to see what the old names are up to. Name's we've put faces to in countless meetings in countless countries; From my first meeting with r13 and bearkub at e3 when I ordered a “plain sub” at dinner to be presented with a wad of chopped meat and no bun, to a happenstance meeting with Rory at GDC a few years ago. From the days when I moderated P&P as Epsilon/Spartan, to when new friends/coworkers like Jesse Moody and EQ/Joe took over. From the days that Rorschach cranked out skins, to the new days when we call that guy Kevin Johnstone. I look here, http://wiki.polycount.com/HistoryOfPolycount, and though I’m not listed, I remember nearly all of those that are.

You remember all these times? All these things we’ve done mates? General discussion should always be the broad shoulders that the green machine carries its culture on.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Like Peter said, Why change it? While we may fight and argue about different view points from time to time I think it is great to see other peoples views. Even if I don't personally agree with them I can still respect that person for them and not hold a grudge.

Yes we are a community founded on our love of game art but we have also made a lot of friends on here that have met and hung out in person, visited others in foreign countries, and helped each other get jobs at some of our dream places we have always wanted to work.

My vote is to keep it the way it is.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with Jesse Moody. GD is kind of like a cafeteria you come to hang out in as opposed to p&p where it's strictly work-related stuff. You get to see the personalities behind the art and names. There is good and bad in everything, we have drama in p&p too.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »

Woah man thats actually when I was a lurker... or maybe even before then. I'm not sure if greentooth logo ever really influenced me at all tbh, but polycount as a site definitely did.

Guys like Soul, Daz, Bobo, Skullbox, Dark Horizon, b1ll etc posting up 256 and 512 flat after flat after flat... mind blowing shit.

Do you guys remember Skullbox's magdalena skin ... fuuuuuuuuu!!
    What if we got rid of General Discussion @ Polycount??

That topic deserves a new thread for sure. Please Adam!
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    acutally i dont understand why there is a desire to ban certain discussions - as its natural to talk about events happening and exchange views about it. if it derails and ends up in a pile of shit just close the threads - i guess thats fine too.

i put the greentooth in pink into a girl flirty game. gotta try to plant it on new projects too.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Do you guys remember Skullbox's magdalena skin ... fuuuuuuuuu!!
    heh, yeah. that was some hot shit. :)
    though after quick research i found that texture was made by a gentleman named Jason Sallenbach. Skullbox only made models (both q3 and ut2004 versions)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I've never really understood why the more heated discussions make the moderators so antsy either. If it devolves into a flame war, then it's simple enough to close it and send everyone on their way.

General Discussion is an important part of our community here - being able to drop by and talk with like minded individuals about this and that is a not insignificant part of why I continue to stick around here. Lord knows I don't do much personal art these days. I think trying to enforce a more focused approach would risk destablising what we've built up here.

Recently I've seen a vibrant community, older and more tightly knit than this one disintegrate before my eyes because of some hasty decisions from the administration. I know you guys only want what's best for Polycount and you have my utmost respect for that, but you need to be really careful when making changes. It doesn't take much to lose the heart and soul of a community and they don't ever recover.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    It's really cool to see so much history on these forums. I've only been here since 09 or something.

Regarding general discussion, I do like to talk about new games and everything game-related. Politics and other crap I could be without though ^^
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    heh, yeah. that was some hot shit. :)
    though after quick research i found that texture was made by a gentleman named Jason Sallenbach. Skullbox only made models (both q3 and ut2004 versions)

Even my memory is falling apart! Thats how old I am.. argh.

Dark Horizon did the flats, skullbox also did the sweet sweeet sweeeeet anims.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    man i like the old bleed your eyes site

having general discussion @ polycount is like having a water cooler or tea prep area at work, its actually nice to have a small area deditcated to chatting shit which can be related to work or can not be

that said maybe we need a sub forum to general dicussion for taht
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Damn those wayback links dredge up all kinds of feelings of nostalgia.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I use GD a lot. Maybe too much some might say. I don't use any other forum and this is where I like to discuss things online.

If you wanna talk art... Talk Art...if you wanna talk games...Talk games... If you wanna talk politics...Talk Politics (but expect the thread to be closed at some point). It's no biggy...

Pro Tip: People who think GD should be removed should just not click on the GD link ;P
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18

...and of old age :)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I would really be sad to see GD disappear, its great for all the subjects not directly related to art, but still affects us all (such as all the games related things), without it I wouldn't have known about DayZ and gotten enough interested in it to actually get it.

Plus there is all the threads about UDK, tools, hardware and such, which are golden at times. We need a place to ask all those questions to our fellow brothers of the arts, and not having to go to some other forums, and get opinions from people who might be 12 year old kids, or rage fill 45 year olds.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Like Peter said, Why change it? While we may fight and argue about different view points from time to time I think it is great to see other peoples views. Even if I don't personally agree with them I can still respect that person for them and not hold a grudge.

Yes we are a community founded on our love of game art but we have also made a lot of friends on here that have met and hung out in person, visited others in foreign countries, and helped each other get jobs at some of our dream places we have always wanted to work.

My vote is to keep it the way it is.

Agree with all of your points.

What some students etc. forget is, is that some of us do not work in the creative field, and can't really be browsing where there are artistic nudes, or a crapton of gun pics. But we still enjoy chatting in GD; if we didn't care about the opinion of people posting in GD, surely we wouldn't visit at all? GD is a safe haven where people like this can still talk and catch up with their peers about the various going on. I would be open to some change to it, because seeing how PC has evolved, normally the ideas are for the good, but I don't want to lose GD or have it drastically altered.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    JO420 wrote: »
    ...and of old age :)

Ahh the old site, how I knew ye' well!
    Not so much the old comment as I started in my early teens when that was around but It was long ago. :)

Probably should have something of a, Where are they now? for those gents we miss seeing art from?
    SkullBox, Dark Horizon, Shadows, Hyper, ect.

On Topic:
    I vote for a sub category under Game/Art Discussion with a description that is fitting. To be honest I'd rather talk about anything and everything I could with the place I visit the most and with a community I enjoy then to go find another place to just to talk about General Discussions, I only post on here to be honest I don't have any other site I visit or want to be apart of more than PC.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    $!nz wrote: »

Probably should have something of a, Where are they now? for those gents we miss seeing art from?
    Dark Horizon,

Don't know about the rest, but DH was working on Rage and apparently is part of a startup now: http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/19/another-ex-ensemble-mobile-game-startup-bonusxp-comes-out-of-stealth-exclusive/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fun facts:

-My first registered name on polycount was 'milk'
    -I was 15, or 16... and wanted to just troll the forums
    -Quickly learned that this community is really a bunch of great people wanting to learn, and I wanted to learn along with them
    -Changed my user name
    -Smartened up
    -??????