Home General Discussion

Rendezvous

pc.png

Hey everyone,

Note if you are one to hate on facebook and twitter, please be respectful.

About a year ago I started working on a project, a social network. In the beginning we had a pretty simple idea. But today, Rendezvous is a platform where people can create forum posts about anything and other people can chose to follow or not follow you. You are also able to group the people you are following. That is Rendezvous at it's core.
splash.png

Last week we launched a closed beta and invited about 25 people. The purpose of this VERY small opening was to fix any immediate bugs. Since then we have been very lucky and have only had to fix a couple minor bugs.

We are now looking to invite more people. In the interest of getting people from a variety of places I'm only asking for 15 people from polycount. We already have a couple and I don't want it to be just full of polycount people.
thread.png

I know I haven't given you a lot of info but if you are interested in web design, social networks, or just have some time on your hands and want to play with something, please reply with your email. Hopefully 15 people on here are interested...

Anyway, for those who I've been talking to and those who are already in, thank you so much for taking the time to give me feedback. And for those who are interested in checking it out, I'll try to get you in as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Talbot

https://werendezvous.com/

Replies

• slipsius
    Honestly, kudos to you for trying to start a social media site right now, as I think it's already pretty saturated. Not sure how successful it will be because of that. But truthfully, it looks like a mash up of twitter and pinterest. right bar is twitter, picture layout is pinterest. Though, this looks like it may bring some males to the site, where as pinterest is mostly females. But that could just be because you have a bunch of pictures in your screenshot that guys would like.

So I guess my question to you is.... How is your site different than others? What's your main selling point.
  • Talbot
    Hey guys thanks for the support!

To answer your question Slipsius, when I first started to think about what to make, I asked a lot of my friends who are on twitter and facebook, why they don't go on forums. They said that they felt intimidated by them. That the people on them seem so established and they didn't want to be "the new guy". Another reason is that you have to make a new account for every forum which is a hassle. Now my original idea was more geared towards fixing the second problem but I felt like it wasn't a "big" enough idea. So I decided to put a follow system with threads and see what happens. This isn't supposed to be a competitor to anything. People still use blogger and stuff after Tumblr go big. So I don't want people to think I'm trying to kill forums. haha

I've included another screenshot to my initial post. Note though that the individual threads are the least designed page on the site. Right now it is pretty basic and I felt like when we add some tools like quoting, I will redesign it to make the thumbnail image larger but at the same time not overtaking the text. In fact I have already made better designs for just about every page. But our programmer is very busy. We are looking for an additional back end programmer if anyone knows of any haha

As far as the design being like twitter and pinterest, that's what I was going for. I feel like although pinterest is cool, it is very overwelming with a large monitor.
  • a3sthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    well I would certainly love to offer my support - timothye33 [at] gmail.com

^_^
  • Talbot
    Got a couple people signed up. Still looking for more. Please come check it out! https://www.werendezvous.com/

Either put your email in this thread or put in a request and I'll just guess it is someone on polycount haha
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    sounds cool :)

jonasr_87[at]hotmail.com