Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Spotlight texture resolution

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Fwap polycounter lvl 13
I've been polypainting in zbrush using Spotlight, with plans on using the PP as a diffuse bake for a low poly version, the problem i'm having with this is that its hard to keep control of the texture resolution being applied to the mesh.

The further away from the mesh i'm zoomed out the more of a blurry pixelated mess the painted texture becomes even when using the tiled feature, so therefore i have to get in really close and do polypainting,

is there anyway that i can kind of control this?

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    You have to be disciplined about not zooming in/out of your model or scaling the textures too much, or if you do, scale/zoom both of them accordingly.

It would be cool if they had some sort of link between the spotlight swatch and model that would keep them in sync as you scaled either.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    In this case it's not an issue of vertex resolution so much as either the resolution of Spotlight (as your eyes see it on the screen, not the actual texture resolution that is loaded), or the pixol resolution of the model on the document/screen (like how projection master works). The projection is pretty much going to punch through any given pixol from the source, and will affect every polygon that happens to be under that pixol equally. So if the model is zoomed out and only seen on the screen/document as a smaller collection of pixels, the result is going to be blurry even if you have millions of verts in the area and an HD tiling texture loaded.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm, I see.

I was hoping there would be a less tedious way of painting it in Zbrush.
    Thanks for the answers guys, I'm still not accustom to how the zooming hotkey is set up in zbrush and almost always accidentlly zoom out when i'm trying to move the tool.
  • Coprod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all,

New to the program, and love it. My issue is when I open any image it is not smooth,block form (pixel). Watching the training videos, I notice the layout of the images are really smooth. My system is rather new with a higher end video card. Not sure when I add or sub clay why the picture is rough. I am using a 50 inch plasma screen. I thought maybe that was it, but anything else I use looks normal. I've been searching for a couple of days, I'm unable to find an answer. Thanks in advance for the help.

Coprod
  • Coprod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all,

New to the program, and love it. My issue is when I open any image it is not smooth,block form (pixel). Watching the training videos, I notice the layout of the images are really smooth. My system is rather new with a higher end video card. Not sure when I add or sub clay why the picture is rough. I am using a 50 inch plasma screen. I thought maybe that was it, but anything else I use looks normal. I've been searching for a couple of days, I'm unable to find an answer. Thanks in advance for the help.

Coprod