Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Flooded ChinaTown

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
biofrost polycounter lvl 12
I normally would want to wait until I get a bit further to make a topic but with this being such a departure to what I normally make I wanted to get as many crits and or tips along the way. Not only that but not enough topics start from the very beginning so I'm hoping this will help some other artist who may have trouble getting started with a larger scene.

This project was originally going to be done in CryEngine 3 but I was having a ton of issues getting stuff from Maya to Cry(sometimes it would work flawlessly and others it would just never seem to work right) but using UDK will give me more control over my shaders.

The concept
uCj9l.jpg

Pretty big project to tackle, I know Ill need to make use of tillable textures and some trim textures but things such as the windows will need to be uniquely unwrapped.

So I split it up into stages, I took the concept and blacked out the rest of the image except for what I should focus on first. I will not be finishing this one section but just getting the blockout of stage 1. This way It seems less overwhelming, because just blocking something out this huge will be new to me.

Step 1
nf01c.jpg

What I need to figure out is getting a window and wall set(with tillable bricks) that I can reuse for most of this section, I'll need to create a material where I can adjust the brick color as the front is a tan ish color and further back is white(and greenish?) No need for two separate brick textures here.

Ill need one unique door and window for the top section along with a neon sign. Bellow that what looks like a metal plating between the windows with some sort of electronic sign.

Here is the blockout I have so far, any crits or tips on how to approach this please type away. I currently have some modular pieces set up in Maya but I exported it out as one Mesh so I wont have to deal with seams between pieces when I bake the lighting.

dSbng.jpg

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    will watch this happening, such a thing to tackle after all, its a huge scene
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    Love this concept. looking forward to seeing how you tackle it. If you have a tileable brick texture, apply it to a plane, place your windows then insert edge loops onto the plane around the windows. The extrude the faces to make a gap for the windows. Just map the sides of the gaps to the border of the gap.
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Concept looks great, can't wait to see the progress on this.
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huge project! < 3 it tho gl
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    This gonna be epic!
  • Shoy333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow awesome concept and great start can't wait to see this one progress :thumbup: Sub'd
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    subscribed too, OP must deliver now:)
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a good start. Keep up the good work. As for the tileable texture, why not go down the route of vertex painting in the shader. Not sure how you'd pull off the grime, though.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Interested to see your progress on this one :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    ambitious project! Will follow for sure :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off thanks everyone of the encouragement!

Worked on the strip at the top a bit and added a early tiling brick texture. Feel free to crit the texture but its not my main focus right now, its more of seeing how much the brick should tile.

Also added the section on the second level where the electronic sign is, I think ill go with it being some sort of advertisement or map. Both seem like a good idea.

I want to have the sign, window, air conditioner and maybe the lantern's near the door on one 1024x texture sheet.
    2p5gY.jpg
    mrJ62.jpg

Up next I think ill try and get the stairs and walkway a bit more detailed and get a wip texture on the windows.
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Good start, because it so epic I would personally just spend a good few hours just roughly blocking the whole scene together and getting it in UDK, getting the right FOV etc.

By low poly blocking it all out you'll have a much better sense of the space and depth in the scene helping you avoid any pitfalls you may experience with matching the concept, in terms of dimension.

I just feel you are jumping the gun a bit considering how ambitious it is. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with ex-ray. You really should blockout the entire scene first, making sure to name the pieces accordingly so that when you do create your assets they just import directly over. Creating a blockout first can also ensure that all of your pieces fit together perfectly. You might also have to change something in 3d since not all concepts translate perfectly so figuring that out in the blockout stage will make this go much faster.

Doing it in very focused strokes like this will lend to alot of mistakes and a cluttered scene instead of a harmonious one.

And you'll also get really tired of this project if you work on it in focused chunks.
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    wester wrote: »
    I agree with ex-ray. You really should blockout the entire scene first, making sure to name the pieces accordingly so that when you do create your assets they just import directly over. Creating a blockout first can also ensure that all of your pieces fit together perfectly. You might also have to change something in 3d since not all concepts translate perfectly so figuring that out in the blockout stage will make this go much faster.

Doing it in very focused strokes like this will lend to alot of mistakes and a cluttered scene instead of a harmonious one.

And you'll also get really tired of this project if you work on it in focused chunks.

This is what I was going to say had it not been said already.

Also, I remember someone else doing this concept just recently and someone commenting (dont remember who it was, cant find the thread) mentioned the vertical aspect of the scene. Not figuring out a proper way to present that aspect of the concept will really ruin the piece. You dont want to have a horizontal render of an extremely vertical scene. Definitely something to figure out if you havent already.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    that concept is kick-ass! gonna love to see where this goes. looking forward to more. :D
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting on a proper blockout in Maya now!

For the vertical issue If I set the FOV to 120 it seems to match up pretty well to the concept.

deLw3.jpg
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    There should be a way to set your resolution vertical rather than the default horizontal. It would be a big help to you.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-ray and wester thank you! One of the reason I did not like doing blockout's before was because I would have to keep dragging everything back to the center of the scene so the pivot point would line up with everything else. This time I left everything in the same position in maya so when I export the pivot is offcenter but once I drag it into place it still lines up perfect.

I suppose my older way of doing it is better suited for when you are planning on having modular pieces to be put together in a game engine, but this scene while having some modular pieces are staying modular in Maya and coming into UDK has a single mesh.

Blockout so far. Still a ways to go but it's coming to life
    Ib5pA.jpg
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    whose concept is that, just damn amazing.
  • JubbyJub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JubbyJub null
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck this is an extremely amazing project to tackle. Great work with the blockout so far. I am looking forward to this :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some water in so I can make sure I know where my water level will be(used a water material I had laying around from a previous project)

Got a few more things blocked in. I think I might move onto detailing some stuff soon as the existing towers will just be duplicated for the rest of the scene.
    jXoEs.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why hello spambot, thank you for your well thought out crit!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I see you've got it rolling. Im watching this one. Just keep on running 'til its done :D
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey..the block out is pretty good... I would work on the camera angle more to match the concpet better but love it so far!!! Remember... WE ARE WATCHING YOU!!!!!!!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update, due to my part time job(only work weekends) I have not made as much progress as hoped but I have what I want to do next planned out.

I want to start getting the rough shapes of the rest of the tower, this would also help fill out the rest of the environment as the other towers are just reusing the same mesh just rotated and in different order.

What I should be able to get done after work tonight is get the metal bars that hold up the walkway in and get at least the next section up mostly modeled.

Added stairs and different set of windows to the left.
    emOCE.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    The composition is looking solid so far. There does seem to be a very warping fisheye effect going on with that POV though. Gonna keep an eye on this, the concept looks pretty awesome.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the POV is going to be the hardest thing about this project. At 120(as it is in the screenshot) it warps things at the edges, but any lower and it won't match the vertical scale of the concept.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blcokout is coming along, I have started to detail out more stuff but that's not what this post is about.

It was really really bugging me just how ugly a blockout can I needed to texture something to get it out of my system and focus back on modeling, so here is a wip lantern.

Huge props to JordanW for when he released his street fighter scene. Looking at his material helped me build my lantern material(and now I know what a Fresnel node does!)

(and i know they dont have any thing to connect them at the top)
    lAhde.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This shot is showing off this well...thing haha. Its in the concept so im going to go its a future air filter, because im guessing its polluted there.

F0ReD.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Regarding the POV since you're doing this vertical thing. Have you tried to see what results you get if you mess around with

Preferences -> Apect Ratio Constraint?

I was thinking that in your computer settings you could set your screen to be vertical and then change the settings to the Y-axis instead. Then you'll have a big vertical shot in the end without too much stretchy.

EDIT:

It's very important that you start working in this mode from the start though, otherwise your composition will be all messed up.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    the concept is really great. :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding the POV since you're doing this vertical thing. Have you tried to see what results you get if you mess around with

Preferences -> Apect Ratio Constraint?

I was thinking that in your computer settings you could set your screen to be vertical and then change the settings to the Y-axis instead. Then you'll have a big vertical shot in the end without too much stretchy.

EDIT:

It's very important that you start working in this mode from the start though, otherwise your composition will be all messed up.

I can't seem to find a way to make it vertical without me having to hold my head sideways. I would if I could just have like black bars on the sides but the nvidia control panel and windows resolution settings dont seem to have that option. I would just rotate my monitor with it but the stand i have dont not allow rotating.