Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ Class Project ] swamp

Hey everyone. Starting a thread for a class project im working on this quarter. Here is the concept art im working off of created by James Finch. Crits are welcome.

finalcopy.jpg

Most updated progress

house08.jpg

key asset breakdown

assetbreakdown.jpg

boat asset progress

boat01.jpg

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Excellent concept, boat is looking fitting too. What engine / tools are you using? Any specific limitations you have to adhere to?
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    yes looks like the boat will fit right in :) more details! i must know more!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Great concept. good choice, and good luck living up to it.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Bek- This scene will be created in udk. Using mainly zbrush/max/photoshop for this. As far as limitations go we just have to optimize our topology so everything is game ready. Its all do by the end of August. As long as I keep to the schedule I should be able to get this all done.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Not sure if this part of the boat is going to be covered up but the direction of the wood grain is inconsistent with the rest of the boats...border piece? (dunno the proper name). This part should be made out of 1 piece of wood and not 3-4 smaller pieces.
    The rear part of the boat doesn't quite line up to the rest of the wooden pieces quite as well as the front.34139159.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    No Updates? I was excited!
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the late update Joopson I've been pretty busy but i'm really going to start going crazy with this project now. Here's a quick screen shot of the house in udk. All of the wood is one 512x512 on 3 pieces of wood. Going to go over it later with some vertex painting.

house01.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The light and fog settings are not the final. Was just playing around to give me an idea.

house2.jpg
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks really nice so far!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I like where this is going. The concept seems like a fun one to work with. The lighting in the concept seems pretty boring, to me, though. I'd maybe try to go with the lighting you used in the house screenshot. A stronger lighting setup could give you nice shadows, which would be pretty eerie with the foliage and moss.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your house is far too boxy. Look at how many overlaps the concept has, and parts jutting out and such. And then of course still some draped gross plants.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll play around with the lighting once i get the foliage in there. You're right Snader about how boxy it is. My instructor said the same thing today so im going to make those changes to try and match the concept more.
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    You'd almost have to put a lattice modifier on the whole structure and warp it to the target painting.

Love your choice of environments. When I'm in that swamp level of Left 4 Dead 2, I always stop and look at the scenery.*
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so i've started to populate the area so I can get a feel for the mood and also so i can start to set up my camera movements. I still plan on warping the building more to match to reference.

house03.jpg
  • kcla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kcla polycounter lvl 7
    I love the concept art for this, and you're really getting the mood down well in the build. I would agree with leleuxart, you could use some contrast lighting coming out of the house, though I know it's still WIP. When you do get to that point, I think some subtle ambient warm lighting in the fog around the house would look great.
  • menjah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    menjah polycounter lvl 6
    Really liking it so far, you really nailed the mood :D Reminds me of King's Quest for some reason. Excited to see this all come together!
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome concept and great start! :)
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    yes the building needs more destruction. it has a more crooked walls compared to yours. it looks like its freshly built.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked the house to better match the concept. Really spending a lot of time messing with the lighting setup right now. Its a slow process but I really want it to match before i start adding in the finishing details/assets. I still need to get those really dark shadows.

house05.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting there. I'm seeing some things need to be moved around a bit. Let me know what you think of the lighting. I'm going to fix the light coming from house. Need to make a custom texture for the transmission.

house06.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update. let me know what you guys think.

house08.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    This is coming along great! The house in the concept looks a lot more dilapidated, and has more contrast with the dark cracks in the wood and messy wooden support beams. Also In the concept the window lights are rounded off, which looks much more intriguing. The background is looking quite good. I can almost imagine a snake wrapped around the 'detailed branch' in the foreground. Keep it up!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome concept, like what you have so far. But I think you need to back the fog away, push it behind the house, cuz right now it's obscuring the great contrast you can see on the house in the concept. The house should have more dilapidation/crookedness.

Your trees need more of a presence as well - in the concept they are large and looming, almost as if they are engulfing the house. Scoot some of them into the frame a bit more, and I would add some more character to their trunks by way of more gnarly, crooked, geo. Finally, needs wayyyyy more of those hanging mossy stuff!!!

To help with the lighting on the house/boat, I'm not sure how this will look, but you might give it a shot: maybe try adding a directional light in there set to affect only the house and boat (in the lighting tabs of the meshes) - they just seem to need a little special attention.

And later, fireflies for a nice final touch hehe x] Nice so far!