Home General Discussion

Defense Grid 2

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
Hidden Path is trying to crowdfund their sequel to Defense Grid. At first glance I thought this was going to be my first Kickstarter buy, but their model kinda turned me off:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

250k: DG1 DLC
500k: Remastered DG1
750k: DG1 Level editor, more platforms
1000k: DG2, Full Sequel

They're only asking for $250,000, but they're not actually making the sequel unless they reach one million. Kinda misleading if you ask me. What do you guys think? I absolutely loved the first one.

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1 million to help fund a tower defense game sounds a bit excessive, I never played the original, but I think it could be easily be made with less than 10 people in less than a year. Each person would be making $100k for a year, probably $85k after you figure business expenses. Plus money made from actual sales.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    It's not just a million for a tower defence game though. It's a million for DLC, the first game remastered in the new engine with new content, then level editors and it being ported to new platforms (in the new engine) and then a full sequel.

Also it's pretty cool that while waiting on the new game people will see more content for the first.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    you have the play the first, yes it;s a tower defense game, but it was a very polished tower defense game with really great voice acting and mechanics.

i really want to see the new one, and hope it does well.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I love how the KS page (just like every other KS game project out there) doesn't list anywhere what the money will be used for. Can't they just put it upfront ? Is it something to be ashamed about ?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I've seen some that are pretty up front, estimated costs of music and 6 months of dev and marketing, any extras go into ports or other features. I'd like to see that break down on most projects.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'd like to see that break down on all projects.

It should be a requirement imo.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    passerby wrote: »
    you have the play the first, yes it;s a tower defense game, but it was a very polished tower defense game with really great voice acting and mechanics.

i really want to see the new one, and hope it does well.

Yeah, definitely. If you haven't played it yet, you should pick it up. Actually, donating 15 bucks to the KS gets you the original and the possible sequel, so it's a pretty good deal if you haven't played it yet.
  • Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    2 weeks left! I really hope this takes off. I can personally vouch that HPE is good studio with some great people.
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Why do they need a new engine in the first place? I mean, it already looked beautiful and I dont see the added value of playing old levels that look slightly better? The game is 2 years old, does it really need a remake?
  • Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Why do they need a new engine in the first place? I mean, it already looked beautiful and I dont see the added value of playing old levels that look slightly better? The game is 2 years old, does it really need a remake?

Why don't you try asking them that yourself? : http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/x319b/iama_game_designer_mark_terrano_ama/
  • spacefrog
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 14
    Defense Grid 1 uses GameBryo ( like Oblivion ;-) ) which has been
    1) maybe a bit overkill for this type of game
    2) bought out by some (korean ? ) MMO company
    3) maybe licensed for a special "indy" DG1 deal which has run out or - because of the apparent success of the first game - will likely be a lot more expensive to license now

I wonder if all the stuff that's going on in DG1 onscreen in intense battles ( lots and lots of alien foe's getting lots and lots of player's flak) would be possible in engines like Unity etc...